Where’s all the silver coins

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me and my friend find many Indian head pennies, Buffalo and V nickels, wheat pennies early as 1890 etc, large cents etc. silver is easier to detect vdi and sound, but being said the old timers from the 70s didn’t get everything with there old whites machines. Heck I find silver crotal bell, we find rings to. But silver honestly what happened , barber, liberty, Rosie give me your opinions, thanks

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My thoughts are that silver coins meant real money back when you could buy a lot with a Dime, Quarter, Half, or Dollar coins -
so, they saved them up, and then went into the ground, as Hoards...!
We've been doing it all wrong, 49er12, we've been hunting for single coins, while all the silver is in a BUNCH, just waiting for us...!

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah never found a jar or bag full or coins. Find other stuff but as stated silver and especially gold I’m not finding in western Pennsylvania, thanks

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cherry picking, people cherry pick the high tones and leave the copper tone in the ground.That is my thoughts on why you need to find places that wouldn't be a common place to hunt or talk to some old timers and find out where the snow sledding hills were at or the old swimming holes.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Absolutely the silver, or most of it, was cherry picked in the early 80's. It's still hiding amungst trash and nickels and in private property...

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the pleasure of detecting two of my neighbor's properties. No one had ever detected them. Property #1 produced about 6 buffalo nickels, 10 or more wheaties (its been a long time ago) and 1 Barber quarter. No other silvers.

The other property which had been a school produced about 50 wheaties, 3 modern coins and 1 1945 Merc. I assume the stuff wasn't there to begin with.

malenkai

May 4, 2016
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I still find a good number of silver coins. Not like 500+ in 2011, but they are still out there; 75% of mine are on public property. I would say what has worked for me a) have a high end machine b) become an expert with it c) do tons of research.

Maybe it varies by area. Maybe certain machines work better in certain areas. Maybe my area hasn't been hunted hard. I do know that I hunt it hard, tho.

Sorry I can't offer specific advice; good luck.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've probably detected at least 200 public places over the years and only ONE of them was untouched and full of silver coins. That was a ratty baseball field that hadn't been used in decades. I spotted the outline of it on Google Earth and was rewarded for my time and effort. There are still other places out there, but they're very rare. You might grab one or two silvers in a spot, but finding one that produces five or more silver coins just doesn't happen in my neck of the woods.

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where are all he silver coins. ? Silver hasn't been circulated for over fifty years . Millions of detectors sold...do you really have to ask . Maybe our should take up fishing where the fish spawn by the millions and replenish yearly . I don't know to many people dropping silver coins. If you don't do your research and learn your detector your not going to find the silver...this is not an easy hobby you have to work at it......good luck....

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found silver when I lived in town and hunted. Now I'm in the country hunting long gone house sites. I've been hunting 2 yrs and haven't found a silver coin yet. Indians, wheat, and the occasional clad. They either didn't have much silver or held on to it tight. Or maybe it's still hiding in all the nails and other iron. ??? Gary

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s a combination of all your thoughts, let’s see myself and friend search by land and by water, in woods study county maps, our machines r equipped enough to find any coins. Traditional open field parks, fields, schools have been searched repeatedly because it’s easy so the next thing is more daring in the woods early settlers house. So thanks we pick each other’s minds, map work, it’s a process of time , weather, and darn jobs take up to much free time

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Toddspoint, You have it right on the old places. Since I rarely bother with newer properties and dig pre CW sites, in my case silver coins and all coinage was hard to get back then. It wasn't till right about the time of the CW that the mint started catching up with the coin demand.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My silver finds are probably split 50/50 between public parks and private property (yards and fields). Some years, I just hit a drought, and the next year I may make up for it. I have searched some very old homes, that did not produce anything (and as far as the owners new, no one ever detected it).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread