Which is better to get with your new detector? 10" inch Concentric or 11" Double D?

dirtfisher

May 10, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster GT, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cibola, HF9F Metal Detector.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you want a rifle that can only hold 10 rounds, or one that can hold 30 :dontknow:

I really have no clue as to those 2 coils, and with that being said, I'd say bigger is better, so go with the 11". :headbang:

Then again, since you did your homework, check the pricetag, if both are about the same, flip a coin :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
D

dirtfisher

May 10, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I really don't know lol. The 11" Double D is more expensive but from what I hear is because it can't be machine wound so it takes more time to build. They say it's deeper in mineralized soil but the concentric is deeper overall. So I am torn between which one to get with my Detector. I am going to be making the purchase soon and it will probably be a Fisher F5. Problem is there doesn't seem to be too much written on the Fisher F5 on the internet to make a confident decision on which coil works best overall. So I don't know what to do. :dontknow:

I know this is the detector I want because of all the research. As you can see I have already added it to my list of detectors. lol
<<<---------- SEE! lmao

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I just have 1 question for you

1- Do you have plenty of materialized soil in your area?

Ans: If not why even bother with the more expensive one

-or-

Ans: Go with your gut on the 10", best overall value in performance, and cost :icon_thumright:

Keep that coin on hand for other decisions though :tongue3:

OP
OP
D

dirtfisher

May 10, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do have some parts in my area that have some degree of mineralization but not too much that my other concentrics can't handle. I'll have to think on this one a bit. Never had a Double D coil so to be honest pinpointing with one has always been a fear of mine. I live in Virginia and some areas have that God awful red dirt.

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
If you have any bad dirt what so ever go with the DD.Or if you get around any trash,old iron DD.A big concentric is for neutral soil on fairly clean ground.

OP
OP
D

dirtfisher

May 10, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. Mike Hillis the F5 guru said the 11" Double D would be better. I seen it in one of his posts. It is hard to dig up old threads. I guess that is what I will go with. The pinpointing will probably take some getting used to but I am sure it will come with practice.

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was younger the double D'S were always impressive. Now they just look chubby:laughing7:

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
What I have heard is the concentrics are a little deeper in cleaner ground, the dd in more in mineralized ground. The dd middle strip is the only area of the coil that receives and transmits. The dd tends to be better in trashy areas due to the way it is designed. The concentric sends an upside down cone shaped pattern in the ground to detect a signal, the dd only sends a pattern as wide as the middle strip of the coil into the ground. I have heard however many inches the coil is, that is about the max depth it will detect, but there are too many variables involved, such as the area you are in, soil mineralization, etc.

I have a 10x12 sef on my dfx and think it is great. It is a dd coil, and gets good depth, and I can pick out targets in trashy areas with it. It turned my dfx into a new detector, at least for me anyway.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
OK, let's run it! The difference in dept is insignificant......The big difference is the pinpointing. The concentric pinpoints dead center, while the DD pinpoints on it's edges. As far as target separation, I have hunted all over the USA with a concentric and found no problems. I use a Whites XLT, so this info is based on it. Other brands may react differently. Frank

coins_0003 T 5 peso_edited-2.jpg

Mortamus

Jun 9, 2012
Southern Callie
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMHO both of those coils are for something I'm not sure what..maybe in an open area a beach? not sure but to me they are worthless and in the future you will see Whites machines coming with better coils hopefully they are getting the message.
Now.....the 4x6 is unreal and the 6x10 is awesome that is on my V3I not sure about your machine...
Stock Coils=:BangHead: a big headache

OP
OP
D

dirtfisher

May 10, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, lots of good responses. Now you see why I am confused lol. Truth is, I never had any problems out of my stock coils getting good depth, but I have never hunted all over the United States either to test out the different soils. If there isn't really that much difference I might stick with the concentric coils. The Double D's are more expensive but if they can give me an edge I will take it. I have had a major problem hunting one of my buddies yards. I was getting signals like almost every inch of his soil. THEN he tells me "Oh yeah, it used to be a landfill" lmao :BangHead:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
IMHO both of those coils are for something I'm not sure what..maybe in an open area a beach? not sure but to me they are worthless and in the future you will see Whites machines coming with better coils hopefully they are getting the message.
Now.....the 4x6 is unreal and the 6x10 is awesome that is on my V3I not sure about your machine...
Stock Coils=:BangHead: a big headache

What's really important in metal detecting is not on the coil end of the stick, but what is holding the other end! Frank

111-1 profile.jpg

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
I absolutely agree, Frank. Nothing replaces time on machine, and if you have that, the size of the coil is secondary. In the end, these are just various opinions on different sized coils and configurations. If you know some folks who hunt in your area, ask them their opinion on what they would recommend, and go from there.

But if the site isnt too trashy, like a dump for example, I cant recommend the sef coils enough. I think they are great. The one on my dfx isnt coming off. The other day, I dug a brass rivet that was down about 6 inches, and it hit pretty hard, hard enough to make me want to dig it. I thought it was an indian head or a wheat on edge the way it was hitting. Now it was on a football field with minimal trash, but i think you see my point.

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
It is because of the transmitted signal search field can scan the ground in a more effective manner and also get closer to trash.That is why it is liked so much. :-X

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread