Which Pin Pointer dou you recomend

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have looked at both. The cost new seems to be pretty close on both but I was able to find a used Kellyco Vulcan 360 that works well. I am looking for a good used TRX or Garrett "Carrot" as I want to have backup. I don't see where you could go wrong with either. You might want to check either You Tube or possibly Kellyco for comparison videos if interested in those.

Che Guevara

Jan 8, 2017
Moscow
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett Pro AT, Whites TRX, Minelab very good machines, in this choice you can safely take any, very popular in Russia carrot AT its not slain and reliability

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1- Garret AT
2- Garret Orig PP
3- Nokta Pointer
4- Whites TRX
5- Minelab Pro Find 25
In that order

gooseman518

Greenie
Mar 20, 2016
upper new york
Detector(s) used
AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold Digger Innovative Products Waterproof Pinpointer

Waterproof to 20 feet
Powerful pulse circuitry that works great in mineralized dirt and salt water
Sound, Vibrate, or Sound & Vibrate – *and LED Signal Indicator
Introductory Price $99.95 Retail
2 Year Warranty*

I love mine couldn't ask for a better pin pointer bright color easy to see

the garret carrot does not work in salt water as (she detector) did a comparison test on utube

Last edited:
OP
OP
rvosburg

rvosburg

Apr 27, 2010
Lakeland La.
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, 950 coil, 6X10 DD Eclipse
Thanks for the replies fellas. I decided to go with the Whites TRX. Cant wait to try it out.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the two Garrett pinpointers, Black and waterproof orange. The full scan on the shaft can come in handy in scanning dirt spread out, but can also be a pain at times in a smaller hole, when sometimes the target is off to the side, sometimes you end up making a bigger hole then you should, say in a park or ball field. I am looking now at the TRX, just for that reason, tip only detection.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
For exact pinpointing the TRX is the way to go IMO.

It'll beep on a coin in my soil at 4-5 inches at max sensitivity.

It allows me to dig the smallest area possible and my shallow (pinpointer detectoon depth) retrievals are often recovered from a hole 2 1/2" diameter or less.

I often use the pinpointer to guage depth prior to digging. Sometimes, like in a drought, if the pinpointer doesn't hit it doesn't get dug or popped.

Sometimes I probe past the target in a sidewall and waste a few seconds trying to locate the signal. This is usually an iron situation with colocated items.

The led is weak, but in pitch darkness if you put your face right above the hole one can sometimes see just enough to locate the target visually.

It's been a durable item as I've dropped it from waist level several times with no issue. I have a habit of pinpointing and tossing it off to the side while recovering a target, so I don't baby my tools. Definitely I have over 500 hours (closer to 600 hrs. but whatever) runtime on my first TRX and still going strong.

Seem to get about 20-40 hours runtime off a set of standard Energizer aa's depending on sensitivity level and vibration. I do think there is better performance from the 9v squares than the aa's but I stopped using them and went to all rechargable aa's.

I like to pinpoint exactly. If I need a wider detection are....well, I have a expensive metal detecting coil right there for that. :tongue3:

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found that you can use the side of the TRX wand to get a quick fix on a target. Then, use the tip to zero in on it. This works well when you pull a fair size plug out of the ground. Oh yeah. I mostly hunt fields and woods so I can dig a little more than if I were on a manicured lawn.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions