whites eagle spectrum and 5900 di pro

spcfarr2000

Jun 17, 2013
Pittsburgh PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 And Garrett AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have both of these machines and was wondering about these machines are good ones to start out with? I have found a lot of pennies in quarters and such. I just don't know how to ground balance my 5900 so well. I have the booklet for it and I've been reading it. But just don't know if I'm doing it the right way. Any help out there to let me know if I should stick with these machines or to buy a different one

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the 5900 when ground balance you can put the loop right to the ground with out a change in the threshold use the coarse adjustment to get close to the ground the fine adjustment to get the rest of the way start out walking hold the detector up off the ground until it smooth out
adjust the fine to get closer to the ground start out in the preset position on the single balance and your in GEB norm non motion all metal make sure the batteries are good or she will drift out all the time love the 5900 mine has a 15 inch coil you find stuff with it...hope that helps a 6000 is easier to ground balance just flick a switch and your done no coarse or fine adjustment..keep swinging

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, CM 6000 Di Pro, Beach Hunter ID 300, Beach Hunter ID, Surfmaster P.I.(Plus)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If your 5900 is a blue box model, it doesn't have the aforementioned fine ground balance knob.
To get maximum depth, start with Sig bal slightly higher than the preset position, then adjust the ground balance so there is no change in sound as you lower the coil to the ground. If it balances easily you can turn the Sig bal up some more and re-ground balance. Repeat until you can't get it to balance, then back Sig bal off a bit and balance a final time.
Sounds like a lot of work, but once you do it a couple times, it doesn't take long at all.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there you go you read it here good luck should of asked a bought color mines is the black box happy hunten

OP
OP
spcfarr2000

spcfarr2000

Jun 17, 2013
Pittsburgh PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Both of my models are a black box. I like them both I just want to get good at both of them.

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, CM 6000 Di Pro, Beach Hunter ID 300, Beach Hunter ID, Surfmaster P.I.(Plus)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Then you have the Coinmaster 5900 Di Pro SL cb. As liftloop said, it has a 7 turn fine adjustment knob on the ground balance. Quite frankly, while the 6000 Di Pro is more popular than the 5900, I think it is due to eBay, more than anything else. Most experienced hunters (especially relic) prefer the 5900, since the auto gb on the 6000 tends to drift anyway.
With any detector, the key to maximum depth is ground balance, the better you get at it, the more depth you are going to see in any mode. Additionally, the sig bal setting plays a huge part too. You want to get your sig bal as high as you can and still achieve ground balance and run stable. There are situations where signal balance should be lowered, but for the most part, the higher, the better.
Both your detectors are reliable, effective, and worth sticking with, though they are a bit heavier than the newer units. I swung a blue box for years and was just fine with it until I started using the newer detectors. Now my arm tires very quickly if I try using anything heavier than an XL Pro. ;)

OP
OP
spcfarr2000

spcfarr2000

Jun 17, 2013
Pittsburgh PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you so much for all of your assistance. This is something I can't wait to do for a long time. I just want to stay away from going out to the bar and this gives me a chance to get some exercise

Big Red

Feb 4, 2012
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett: Grand Master Hunter CX III, CX Plus, GTI 2500, GTI 1500, GTA 1000 Ultra, Tesoro Lobo Super track, Sorex Pro, Discovery Electronics: Treasure Baron GoldTrax, Treasure Baron CoinTrax. Minelab:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your right and less booze is always a good thing too!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread