Who dug J. Clapp's Mine Tunnel where he stayed

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I do know that Bill Barkley was friends with Clapp, and that they filed a mining claim together over at the foot of the central cliff in Old Squaw Canyon. It was named the "Hidden Mark".
Here the location notice for the "Hidden Mark" from 1958.

Clapp.png

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning Sir: I just received an email from the Arizona State Archives and they clearly state that they have the original Maricopa Mining Claim books from 1871 to 1946 plus they also have them on microfilm. A patrons choice as how they want to view the documents, originals books or microfilm. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis
Mr. Davis,

You are correct, you certainly can see all the Maricopa County mining claim records from 1871 thru 1946 at the Arizona State Archives & Research Library at 1901 W. Madison in Phoenix, the Polly Rosenbaum building.

For anyone wanting to search claims It's best to call ahead at 602 926-3720 so they can have the books ready for your appointment. You will receive a one year pass to the records room by having your official ID copied.
You can bring a notepad and pencils ( no ink pens, food or drinks allowed ) and you will be given cotton gloves.

An attendant will be close by monitoring you and if you need assistance.

No photocopies are allowed. I have hand copied dozens of claims. There is no index so you must page through the books until you find what your looking for.
Mining claims after 1946 can be found on microfilm. The last claims I copied were 14 claims filed by Trudy Rae, Crazy Jakes wife on Peters Mesa in the 1980's time frame.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mr. Davis,

You are correct, you certainly can see all the Maricopa County mining claim records from 1871 thru 1946 at the Arizona State Archives & Research Library at 1901 W. Madison in Phoenix, the Polly Rosenbaum building.

For anyone wanting to search claims It's best to call ahead at 602 926-3720 so they can have the books ready for your appointment. You will receive a one year pass to the records room by having your official ID copied.
You can bring a notepad and pencils ( no ink pens, food or drinks allowed ) and you will be given cotton gloves.

An attendant will be close by monitoring you and if you need assistance.

No photocopies are allowed. I have hand copied dozens of claims. There is no index so you must page through the books until you find what your looking for.
Mining claims after 1946 can be found on microfilm. The last claims I copied were 14 claims filed by Trudy Rae, Crazy Jakes wife on Peters Mesa in the 1980's time frame.
Sloppy research.
The three "Trudy Rae" lode claims were all located by Robert S Jacob of Chandler, AZ in April 1980. Trudy Rae was not a locator. The claims were named:
Trudy Rae "Charlie"
Trudy Rae "Baker"
Trudy Rae "Able"

That took less than 5 minutes to find and download photocopies of all those docs from the source -
the Maricopa County Recorder.

Here's a map of those claims for those who are interested in the facts:

TrudyRae.jpg

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Here the location notice for the "Hidden Mark" from 1958.

View attachment 2143791
Yes, thanks...many of us have used the online search function at the recorder's office for many years.

I suspect the Barkley's looked out for Jay, being as they were "neighbors", and Jay probably put Bill on the claim in case he found "the Dutchman". Sort of a poor man's way of paying someone back when all he had was the hope of finding some gold. I don't know if Jay ever helped the Barkley's with ranch chores, but I wouldn't be surprised if he did.

Tom K. wrote that Jay was a decent human being, I think this claim sort of reflects that. I don't think Bill Barkley was there when the claim was filed as Jay got Bill's middle initial wrong...but it's the thought that counts ;)

EDIT: Greg, you probably already know this, but I just was just saddened to see that Nancy (Bill and Betty Barkley's daughter) had passed away in 2017.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning Gentlemen: Many thanks for all of your inputs however the task of locating the original claims to the digging of that mine tunnel where Clapp stayed is going to be a page by page search to find a claim that find one that appears to be in the correct location. Early claim papers are notorious for not being precise. It would sure help if the date could by narrowed down to a year. or two. My best guess would be in the 1930's or early 1940s. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Good morning Gentlemen: Many thanks for all of your inputs however the task of locating the original claims to the digging of that mine tunnel where Clapp stayed is going to be a page by page search to find a claim that find one that appears to be in the correct location. Early claim papers are notorious for not being precise. It would sure help if the date could by narrowed down to a year. or two. My best guess would be in the 1930's or early 1940s. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis
Greg, just curious at to what points to this mine being worked in the 1930's or early 1940's? I've been in this mine and it looked like there was surface indications of copper...which to me could indicate the war years. Because gold mining was discouraged, and it was hard to get equipment and miners for a gold mine per US gov't policy at the time. So that makes sense. The tailings/dump don't look all that old, either. I'd be interested in learning what in particular indicates to you that the time-frame was the 30's/40's.

As you know, many copper specimens such as chalcopyrite have been found in the area that contain some gold values. In my mind, it seems possible that this mine was originally opened closer to the Goldfield era. Tom K. wrote that the original Goldfield claim was the Lucky Boy, closely followed by Bill Kimball's "Buckhorn Mine" (later the Doc Palmer). It was my understanding that both mines showed copper indications on the surface but contained some decent gold values. The Buckhorn/Palmer mine was said to have a very rich pocket of gold at the 215ft level, IIRC.

A few years after the discovery of the Lucky Boy and Buckhorn, the claims at Goldfield proper were filed, several dozen, and there were lawsuits over cross-filing. The discovery of these additional gold mines created a sort of local gold rush, and I think it's at least possible that the mine Clapp lived in, was dug closer to that era.

The road (a trail now, but in parts that weren't washed out, I could make out two tracks indicating a wheeled vehicle road or track) between the 1st Water Ranch House and the mine Clapp lived in, surely does point to the mine being dug sometime after the ranch house was built...but I think what we call today, 1st Water Rd, was part of a fairly large network of roads in the area made by prospectors and miners. So it's very possible the mine was there before the ranch house.

There is someone that may know about this mine that I will ask. And even though Nancy has passed away, it's possible that her descendants may have heard her mention something about this mine that Clapp lived in.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread