Why all the holes?

Bobwilki

Jun 6, 2018
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505, Fisher f75 + EQU/NOX 800.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bought this picture at an estate sale. It was hanging over the mantle. I was wondering if anyone might know why they would drill 16 holes in it. The holes don’t even go through the frame. It had picture hangers on the back. A real head scratcher.

Attachments

• IMG_2220.png
    IMG_2220.png
    967 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2221.png
    IMG_2221.png
    1 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2222.png
    IMG_2222.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
  • 20231011_161655.jpg
    20231011_161655.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
  • 20231011_161703.jpg
    20231011_161703.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 45

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From your pictures, it looks like the holes do go all the way through the surround of the frame. I can see the white backing of your wall through some of them. I would guess this was originally an old and heavy mirror, from which the frame has been repurposed. The holes would have enabled it to be secured flush to a wall.

Nice work, and I take it you know this is a print. The 1870 original is in the Gilcrease Museum in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

Last edited:

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe every time someone got mad at the person in the picture, they drilled a hole?
Jon 8-) :cat::occasion14: :headbang:

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Red-Coat has the opinion that I have.
The frame was anchored to guarantee stability; probably a mirror. Then used for the art work..

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think there were wood plugs in the holes that fell out or maybe fake jewels/ rhinestones. If you look close you can see where the finish has a rim that is raised like something was pushed into the holes. It also looks like an old glue in some holes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bobwilki

Bobwilki

Jun 6, 2018
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From your pictures, it looks like the holes do go all the way through the surround of the frame. I can see the white backing of your wall through some of them. I would guess this was originally an old and heavy mirror, from which the frame has been repurposed. The holes would have enabled it to be secured flush to a wall.

Nice work, and I take it you know this is a print. The 1870 original is in the Gilcrease Museum in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
I think you’re right about it. I knew it was a print. I only gave $10.00 for it. Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
Bobwilki

Bobwilki

Jun 6, 2018
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think there were wood plugs in the holes that fell out or maybe fake jewels/ rhinestones. If you look close you can see where the finish has a rim that is raised like something was pushed into the holes. It also looks like an old glue in some holes.
I agree the holes are really weird. They are large at the entrance and get smaller as the hole gets deeper.

Kona Koma

Bronze Member
Nov 13, 2017
On the Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought this picture at an estate sale. It was hanging over the mantle. I was wondering if anyone might know why they would drill 16 holes in it. The holes don’t even go through the frame. It had picture hangers on the back. A real head scratcher.
Ha! Didn’t understand the value of the frame.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree the holes are really weird. They are large at the entrance and get smaller as the hole gets deeper.
The holes are countersunk, it was apparently screwed to something so the holes are larger on the outside to accommodate the head of the screw, smaller where the shank of the screw went through.

TreaShore

May 4, 2023
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT (since 2012)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like someone else suggested, it looks like it may have been done to help anchor the frame. My guess is that they are screw holes and maybe there was a valuable piece in it that the owner wanted to make sure it was a little more difficult for the piece to get spirited away by a thief.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the 2nd picture it shows the hole, but it doesn't go into the second (back) part of the frame to secure it to a wall the holes are only in the front part of the frame. So securing it doesn't seem plausible.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread