🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am posing both the Question and my own Answer in this thread. Yes, I know there were many reasons for holing a coin back in the day, and there will never be a way to prove anything, but I think I have a good case here.

Along with some assorted relics, I found this 1873 IH Cent on my property this weekend. :icon_thumright: I have found many around the yard, including 2 key dates, but this is the only one that was ever holed. In spite of the corrosion, you can tell by the detail that it was nearly uncirculated.

I believe it was part of a bracelet, a necklace, or pinned to clothing. On a hunch I checked my research notes :read2: about the past owner’s of my land and how 1873 might have been significant to them - the results brought an unexpected chill. :o

The land on which this was found is now my property but was once owned by Abraham Lines Baldwin and his wife Susan. Abraham and Susan had 7 children, 2 boys and 5 girls, between 1863 and 1878. Searching through all of the key dates of birth and death in the family the only match for 1873 was the year that their second child, George W. (born June 10, 1865) died at age 8 on November 5, 1873. I have good reason to believe that his parents had this made to wear in his memory. He will have passed away 143 years ago next week! R.I.P. George. :angel7:

Thanks for Looking!
Nick

Attachments

• 100_8657 - mask.JPG
    100_8657 - mask.JPG
    411.2 KB · Views: 155
  • 100_8597 - CROP.JPG
    100_8597 - CROP.JPG
    258.5 KB · Views: 138
  • 100_8626 - Copy.JPG
    100_8626 - Copy.JPG
    402.2 KB · Views: 123
  • 101_1383.jpg
    101_1383.jpg
    932.8 KB · Views: 132
Upvote 10

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds and great research. Its a nice touch that you were able to find George's engraved headstone and add it to the narrative. Would that have been a common practice, to memorialize the year of death? If I were them I might have have holed an 1865 IH to remember the year of George's birth. The year 1873 would be too painful to remember.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds and interesting story, thank you for sharing.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lot of pants did not have pockets or did not have very good pockets back then - many sewed coins into the inside of their vests or coats
and would pluck it out when needed ---a lot of half and one reales found have holes in them

chefjuan

Sep 17, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. Good research!! Love the photo of the grave too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's logical thinking Nick. The detail is super on the coin. We don't dig many pre 1900 IH cents here for some reason. WTG, Q.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Indian is in great shape, and I like the thought that you pose. Nice job on the research.

OP
OP
Wildcat1750

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice thought.
Thanks, rick67!

Congrats on your finds, your idea sounds about right
Thanks, trapperart!

Great finds and great research. Its a nice touch that you were able to find George's engraved headstone and add it to the narrative. Would that have been a common practice, to memorialize the year of death? If I were them I might have have holed an 1865 IH to remember the year of George's birth. The year 1873 would be too painful to remember.
d
Thanks, terpfan! I don’t know if this was a common practice or if this was even the reason. I was certainly trying to line this year up with a happier occasion. I just think farmers had better things to do with brand new coins than hole them back then so there may have been a greater purpose at work. If there is another holed IH Cent out there to celebrate George’s birth year I certainly hope that I’m the one who’s going to find it!

Nice finds and interesting story, thank you for sharing.
You’re welcome, Professor!

lot of pants did not have pockets or did not have very good pockets back then - many sewed coins into the inside of their vests or coats
and would pluck it out when needed ---a lot of half and one reales found have holes in them
Thanks, CASPER! That’s so true and could have very well have been as simple an explanation as that.

Wow. Good research!! Love the photo of the grave too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, chefjuan! I always try to make a human connection to the relics that I find, if at all possible. That’s a large part of what fascinates me about treasure hunting and history in general.

That's logical thinking Nick. The detail is super on the coin. We don't dig many pre 1900 IH cents here for some reason. WTG, Q.
Thanks, VOL1266-X! I guess I’m very fortunate to be in a good spot.

That Indian is in great shape, and I like the thought that you pose. Nice job on the research.
Thanks, Trezurehunter! I love doing the research almost as much as the ‘field work’.

I really enjoyed that narration about what you thought on that penny.
Thanks, thrifty76now! If only we knew the real story.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! Can't remember ever seeing a holed IHC posted here! Large cents, seated dimes and half reales are common holed coins, but why hole a penny in the 1870's? Your theory may well be correct. Very good research on your part. HH.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread