SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been detecting a local park for years. It came about in the '70s so not much chance at silver, but always plenty of
clad and rings / jewelry. A annual three day carnival always provided some keepers too and so did the tot lot.

P8260030.JPG

The last two years I've noticed countless holes in the ground from some other inexperienced detectorist. They would even leave the trash they dug next to the hole. I would fill them in and was spending most of my time doing that. Went there last month with my detector in hand and as always, was picking up the trash blowing around from the previous day's massive soccer tournament when a truck pulls up and the driver asks me, "What do you think you're doing"? I said, "I'm picking up the trash before I metal detect". He says, "Didn't you see the sign"?. I said, "What sign"? He says, "You can't metal detect here. We put the sign up two weeks ago".

I walk over and look at the new sign that use to say just, "No Hunting"!

Now it says...

P8260028.JPG

I ask him, "What happened" and he says, "I'm tired of filling in all the holes left from you guys metal detecting"! I had to do this because I knew I was done forever as far as detecting in this park, so I said, "You went to all the trouble of passing this ordinance ad making up these signs, but what didn't you put on the signs "NO LITTERING"?

Sorry about the rant. I'm just trying to show what happens when we don't fill in our holes. If you are new to detecting and you can't take a few minutes to fill-in the hole you just dug, then I'm afraid you've picked the wrong hobby. Leaving open holes is just as bad as littering, maybe worse.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a real bummer, but it does go to show what can happen thanks to careless hunters.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
It's not WE that don't fill our holes, it's THEY.

The people that the rules are meant to apply to (as they were the cause) are not the ones who care.

Its us, the decent people who pick up others trash, fill our holes in and positively promote our hobby that get screwed.

The losers will just go off and wreck someplace else. They will never read this. They don't care.

We will suffer because of them, and there is very little we can do to make them conform.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's the me society. Sorry to see that sign.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry for your loss, hate seeing a good hunter being put into the same category as "You Guys".

But hey man, look on the bright side, not only can you legally liter but you can have camp fires too if you want to go camping there, because clearly that is all allowed.

Too bad they can not just ticket tards for not filling holes, they have to go through all this crap.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Now the nighttime is the right time. :skullflag:

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; That is a shame. I run into it all the time. Last year I caught one guy who had left HUGE holes he dug with a Spade Shovel all over the beach I've been detecting since the 60's. The cops stopped me so we talked. After that they let me go ahead. I told them I would turn this clown in and I even got one the cops private cell number. Sure enough 3 days later the bozo shows up and I see him leaving holes all over the place. I walk over and try to talk to him about filling in his holes. He started swearing at me and threatened me. I said fine. I backed off. I sat on the wall about 20' away from him and videoed him digging the holes. I then called my friend the cop. He came right down. I showed him the video. He went right after the guy and told him to go back and fill in his holes. This genius starts swearing at the cop. WELL, enough is enough.!! The cop radioed for back up. They were there in 1.2 ms. They bagged this guy and confiscated his detector. The next day when he went to Court I showed up and Testified against the scumbag. I even gave the cops a copy of the video of this clown in action digging PLUS when he was swearing at the cops. The Judge Fined him $5,000, confiscated his detector and BANNED him from detecting on the Beaches in the City. REASON: Turns out this guy had caused Thousands of dollars in damages to a new boardwalk they had just put in. Caused a LOT of Labor costs and a dog was hurt in the process. I'm PROUD of my actions and I stand by them.!!!
Now I can detect there when ever I want with no problems at all. We as a Group need to take these types of actions when We see these clowns in action. REPORT their sorry butts.!!! Take their pictures.!!! Video tape them. !!! & Testify against them. Then this trend will start to swing around for us.
TEACH newbies how to dig a PROPER hole & fill it in. I'm sure 99.9% of Us here do that but We need to be vigilant about this. SD51; If you or anyone else sees these morons doing it BAG their sorry butts ok. I'm sorry you lost that park. BUT maybe if you can catch one of these clowns and turn him in they may let you back in there. I wish you the best. Those idiots burn me for sure. Good Luck. PEACE:RONB :leprechaun-hat:

OP
OP
SD51

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ron, thanks for sharing that story. Proud of you for what you did in removing that bozo from the beach. I can't understand what goes on in some people's heads. I run into so much litter everywhere I go and it's obvious these are the same people that are ruining our hobby. I can only hope that the guy that ruined the park here gets caught detecting there and gets fined.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all i can say is just move on pilgram time is short :thumbsup:

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi SD51; Me, I'd hang around the park WAITING for those suckers to show up then do everything I stated above. And you can bet the idiots will show up again. Also get a cell phone number of anyone in charge of the Park. Then after you got the clowns in action on film call those in charge and REPORT their sorry butts. Make sure they know you are a Pro detectorist in the process even before you talk the folks in charge and let them know your not like these idiots. Then BAG THE SUCKERS.!!! For me it is a real sore spot. It's Personal and I make it that way. Make sure you give them & the cops a copy of your film and pictures.
I believe those in charge will give you a special permission to hunt there. Then anytime you get an idiot. REPORT them. It's the only way they will learn. Not only that it will produce great PR for Our hobby k. Let Us know what transpires. Good Luck. PEACE:RONB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions