fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My buddy and I made a road trip yesterday to Macon and Atlanta. He wanted to stop in Macon at a blacksmith club meeting and then go on to a knife show in Atlanta. We got out of the blacksmith show early so we decided to go to the Wildman's relic store in Kennesaw, Ga. I know some of you here have been there and you will know what I mean when I say "WOW!" He has about 5,000 square feet of relics in a 500 square foot store. There is a one person walkway through the whole place and relics are everywhere.
And, the Wildman is someone you have to meet in person just to experience him and his shop. I bought Volumes 1-3 of Dean S. Thomas' "Roundball to Rimfire" for an early Christmas present to myself. I also picked up 20 Minies from the Kennesaw campaign and four from the Port Hudson conflict.
As we were heading out of town for Atlanta we passed a construction site that got both of us excited. They are building an Apartment complex and right in the middle of it sits an old house. The ground around it has been dug out about two feet down. I wonder what is out there to be found? Maybe Davers or Dharmancy can tell us.

Upvote 0

Dharmacy

Nov 1, 2006
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Varies with location and conditions.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My buddy and I made a road trip yesterday to Macon and Atlanta. He wanted to stop in Macon at a blacksmith club meeting and then go on to a knife show in Atlanta. We got out of the blacksmith show early so we decided to go to the Wildman's relic store in Kennesaw, Ga. I know some of you here have been there and you will know what I mean when I say "WOW!" He has about 5,000 square feet of relics in a 500 square foot store. There is a one person walkway through the whole place and relics are everywhere.
And, the Wildman is someone you have to meet in person just to experience him and his shop. I bought Volumes 1-3 of Dean S. Thomas' "Roundball to Rimfire" for an early Christmas present to myself. I also picked up 20 Minies from the Kennesaw campaign and four from the Port Hudson conflict.
As we were heading out of town for Atlanta we passed a construction site that got both of us excited. They are building an Apartment complex and right in the middle of it sits an old house. The ground around it has been dug out about two feet down. I wonder what is out there to be found? Maybe Davers or Dharmancy can tell us.

If you can give me a specific location I will try to find time to get by there if it is still there.

D.

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasn't driving so I can't be sure. I think it is south east of Wildmans. It is a very large construction site with a few units already built. OK, I just used Google earth and it shows the site bordered by Dallas St., Lewis St. and old Ga. 293.

Dharmacy

Nov 1, 2006
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Varies with location and conditions.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasn't driving so I can't be sure. I think it is south east of Wildmans. It is a very large construction site with a few units already built. OK, I just used Google earth and it shows the site bordered by Dallas St., Lewis St. and old Ga. 293.

I think that's up in Davers neck of the woods, maybe he can check it out. If I get time I can try to get by there but it's quite a ways from me.

D.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sounds like that's pretty close to the shop as 293 Is the Road that his shop is on , 'Old Sandtown Rd' I do believe it was a trail used by the Native Americans before becoming one of the main early roads North 'It parallels the Original RR North to Allatoona Pass , then on Northward . It went South also but it has changed coarse so many times it's hard to track.

There are a few 'Sand Town ' Rd's in Cobb County , Guessing St 293 runs with or is also US 41 going South FWIW.
Ill find the site , that 'grading depth' scares me tho. lol

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Davers,
Here's a map I got from Google Earth showing the construction site. I hope it turns out to be a good one for you.

Attachments

• Kennesaw Dirt.jpg
    Kennesaw Dirt.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 68

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Davers,
Here's a map I got from Google Earth showing the construction site. I hope it turns out to be a good one for you.

Neat .
I just pulled up that exact picture before I logged on to T-Net , got yr PM .

I know exactly where that site is & a large area it is.

Have not made it over there but seeing the site & where it is ie , close to the Park 'Adams' & With the City Police & City Court house right across the Street is not a good sign .

That park has posted Signs "No Metal Detecting" Tho I did find a small Spur Buckle there in 1998.

I'm surprised they had no fence up cause when they built the 'Revival on Main' there was a Big Fence with a Posted Sign or 10.

I sound like a "Daver Downer" but it just seem's to be the Way these larger Urban Projects have gone esp, in the past 10 + years.

One only has a short opportunity to get on this type site (Usually as the Trees are being Cut).

Being funny I refer to a site like that 'So close to History' a "You got to know somebody Site".

Hmmm, Tho I have not been to a "Find of the Month Meeting" at my Club for 2 months , there was a newer younger guy who came in 2 months in a Row with a-lot of nice Relics including 2 Breast Plates , even a Lead Carved Solider's ID Tag.

"Said " His friend was a Contractor. ???

Never the less ill drive by there today cause you don't know til you try.

I'm sure somebody else has more info on that site , Dent or Wildman Himself could probably give a good history of that area & maybe info on Detecting it.

Yea right there in that picture is where the 'Great Locomotive Chase ' started.

Have a great day, I will let you know what I find out.
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wanted to say ,I drove by the site mentioned & I wish that I had seen it earlier, as there is a Big privacy construction fence around the whole property ...:BangHead:

That old house sitting up there does look great , looks imo like they might save the house or just build around it .

It would be a chore to move it.

Oh Well another site Gone .

Thanks for the tip tho . :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish you could have hunted it. The piles of top soil looked promising to me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread