winter metal detecting

digit13

Sep 19, 2015
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter sharpshooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We don't have much snow here in SC but I was wondering too about how folks deal with the cold and already hard ground.

slink

Dec 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do...unless ground is too froze to dig.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go unless it's super cold or snow is to deep. When the ground is frozen I try to hunt the woods or bottom ground where I can dig. It's a good time to do some scouting and spot hunting on new permission. I can get in the truck once and awhile to warm up. It's tough hunting but feeds the habit and gets me out of the house. Also a good time to ride and look for new spots and do a little door knocking. I've even marked a good target that was in frozen ground and came back on a warmer day. That's tough to walk away from.

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When the bug bites I detect in the winter. I will not do a permission when there is snow on the ground. I have a couple fields I hunt if the snow isn't too deep, and there are 3 old home sites in the wood I plan on hitting this fall/winter since the ground doesn't freeze as fast. I also will hunt some flea markets. I use a hammer and screwdriver to chisel out my finds in the frozen gravel. Last year I hunted all the way up until the 3rd of January and then had to stop until early March due to frozen ground and deep snow.

JrMack

Feb 16, 2014
steuben co. ny
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter, x-terra 305/505/705,discovery TF 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live on the Pa-Ny boarder and when the frost gets down around3 or 4 inches deep its tough. fields get frozen first so I try and stay in woods where the leaves keep the ground from freezing to deep. an early snow will keep the frost from going to deep also..Its tough in the early spring in fields--gets muddy on top with frozen ground underneath. If the ice on some of the streams isn,t bad I detect on top and then break through to find a target-same as on the edge of the river here. It really tough in winter, but when you have to go MD you find a way!!! Jr One more thin is that you have to pick and choose what ya dig-and you get real familiar with what your machine is telling you quick! Sometimes it takes ten or fifteen minutes to dig a spot and its like work. I use a ground down pick axe with shortened handle, make sure the hole is bigger than the object as to not damage the object.

Last edited:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can do sliding hills and around the edges of hockey rinks here in winter if you really have the itch. Snow is usually diggable as long as it isn't compacted down real hard. But honestly I don't think you find enough to make it worth the effort.

S

stefen

Like happy hour, its gotta be 5 pm somewhere...

Therefore there's gotta be snow on the ground somewhere too...

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bail down the backside of my mtn and hunt the high desert in the winter.I cant stand hunting in the snow.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not much snow here but I like cooler weather and the snakes have gone underground. So hard to dodge venom throwers when listening for that certain sound on your detector.:censored:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Being a cache hunter, it is a bit different for me. I have only had this happen once, but I finished research on a very positive tail out in the north west. When I got there the ground was frozen to about 6" down. I got a BIG signal and decided to go for it. The signal was a little over 1'. I got my small pic out and chopped about a 1.6' circle. I then inserted my shovel in the chopped area and flipped over the frozen plug. The next 6" to the target was easy. Well worth the effort I must say.
I usually hunt in warmer areas. Frank.
T Chest.jpg No, this is another cache I am going for now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread