Would like your opinions

steveouke

Jun 12, 2012
Rose Hill, KS
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 with 8 x 11 DD, Garrett PP, Lesche Digging tool, Sampson shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Would like to know what you guys would do.. Detecting this morning and hit a signal at 8+ inches. Dug up a mason jar lid. The dug another, then another. Ended up digging 8 lids, 6 milky white caps, and many pieces of glass. We ended up digging an 18" deep hole about 2' around. The Garrett didnt hit any more signals. Would you give up on it?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
K

Kentucky Kache

Those old jar lids are common. Expect to hit a lot of them at old home places.

S

stefen

Olde folks just like to mess with the next generation....

Personally, I like to go into a public park and make a 24 inch deep hole with soil probe and drop a few cruddy pennies into it...

Then when I get really old I will sit on a bench and watch a newby sink a hole with a backhoe diggin his heart out... picknose.gif

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes. No question.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No! Broaden your search. Especially if you live in Kansas! Are you searching in town or out on the farm?

knarf44

Sep 9, 2012
Washington State
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305
Home brew digging tool, Garrett Pro Pointer
Rapoo H6020 wireless headset and TS-BT35F01 BT transmitter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Typically a old fully intact zinc jar lid at say 4"-5" will will sound much larger than a coin in all metal mode. If I find more than one in a given area i personally won't dig any more than one or two, as I'm more into finding older deeper coins which sound much smaller than a jar lid, in all metal, at any kind of depth . But on the other hand my hunting buddy if conditions allow will usually dig half way to china to see whats down there making all the racket. And for his efforts was once rewarded with "2" count them, two 100 oz. silver bars for his troubles. I can say with all honesty in the location we were digging I would have past them over for buried aluminium cans and never looked back. You just never know!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread