Would the Highlighted road side be considered fair game? Sense its easement?

TreasureLord KC

Jul 19, 2016
SWFL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Screenshot_20240112-152728_Maps.jpg

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think you still need permission. There would be two easements that apply to the highlighted area -- the road and the power company. If you're not working for one or the other of those, I would expect you'd need permission.

Hbot37

Bronze Member
Jul 7, 2022
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Easement doesn’t mean public property. It means someone other than the owner has access to it. You still need permission from the owner because that easement doesn’t apply to you. Also it’s next to a road so there’s probably a ton of garbage.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I can't speak for the road in the picture.
Around here in it's just a named road(not a #)township owns maintains it. They usually are 30ft from the centerline. County rds can be 45-60ft. Express like 3# highways can be 120ft.
If township it's public property up to the fence line.
Hydro/phone/cable has a right-a-way, but they don't own the grass.
That's the reason for most power poles running along outside of fence lines.
That Being said every piece of garbage (foil,cans) has probably been mowed and spread nicely.
Best of luck.

luke_00

Jun 15, 2015
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our property deed in NC is surveyed to the center of the state road. The state maintains a 30ft right-of-way, but we still own, and pay taxes on, the land.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Our property deed in NC is surveyed to the center of the state road. The state maintains a 30ft right-of-way, but we still own, and pay taxes on, the land.
Now that is one weird thing-paying taxes on something that you can't really do anything with.
Do they pay you rent-probably not.
I guess the term "Tenant Of The Land"
We really never own it.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Around here you would technically need to call the Call Before You Dig number and have it marked for: gas, fiber optics, electrical, etc. first.
That’s a catch all, like disturbing the peace IMO.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Plenty of trash and gold rings! In 1966 my Brother through a coke bottle out the window of his car and his college ring went to. If it happened to him it probably happened to others! Lesson here is don't throw anything out of a vehicle window.
When I was part of Ringfinders I helped a guy recover his wedding ring alongside a road. It had fallen off his finger while he had his hand out the window enjoying the breeze. Luckily he was going slowly (it was in his own neighborhood) and knew the 20-30 yards of road where it had fallen off.
It only took about 15 min to find it in the gravel next to the road. But before that I found...5? 6? bottle caps or other trash.

Even though it's possible for rings or other treasure to be alongside a road, if you ask me: there's too much trash to make the small chance of anything good worth it.
And there are better places to detect.
Heck, even when I have permission at an old home/property I don't go too close to the road if it's an active one. I try to judge how far people can throw trash from a car window, and only detect beyond that range.

Good luck.
- Brian

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard over the years that some metal detectorists and some MD clubs have adopted a highway, explaining when needed that it was another method to clear the way of trash and metal debris.

Jon 8-) :cat: :occasion14: :headbang:

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On some property I had owned, I had a dispute with the phone company. They wanted to charge me $30k to have a phone line (30+ years ago), A telephone pole was on my property, but if you were on top of the hill looking at all the poles, it looked as if a drunk had installed them. About 5 years later the land behind me started to sell, so the phone company wanted to use the pole on my property and hang lines over my house, I called the servery company that did property and asked how they measured, I was told it may have been done from the center of the road or from the edge of the road . I measured and either way the pole was not on the easement, but my property.

long story short, the phone company had to set new poles elsewhere. So in AZ it could me measured either way, and the easement is public domain, yet the owner pays taxes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread