Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I use is pitch.... This is a good time for this video...

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I use is pitch.... This is a good time for this video...

Well it only took you and me 2 years with the Deus to figure out the power of pitch, right? Lol.

For someone just starting out with the Deus, especially coming over from a tones machine, I think multi tones is a better starting point from which to transition to pitch. I am used to the intensity drop off with pitch for targets at depth, but a new user might have trouble with picking up those deep targets in pitch. I use pitch, full, and multi tones depending on the site soil, target, and trash conditions.

Also, Colonial was not applying any disc when in pitch mode which negates any advantage to using iron volume and left him vulnerable to TID down averaging.

So even though I am a pitch fan, those were the reasons I was recommending tones vice pitch.

I consider pitch an “acquired taste” for the Deus connoisseur. Lol.

Last edited:

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree about the tones the video was more about testing your settings. lol PITCH is not for the faint of heart....Remember I learned the machine in full tones.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well it only took you and me 2 years with the Deus to figure out the power of pitch, right? Lol.

For someone just starting out with the Deus, especially coming over from a tones machine, I think multi tones is a better starting point from which to transition to pitch. I am used to the intensity drop off with pitch for targets at depth, but a new user might have trouble with picking up those deep targets in pitch. I use pitch, full, and multi tones depending on the site soil, target, and trash conditions.

Also, Colonial was not applying any disc when in pitch mode which negates any advantage to using iron volume and left him vulnerable to TID down averaging.

So even though I am a pitch fan, those were the reasons I was recommending tones vice pitch.

I consider pitch an “acquired taste” for the Deus connoisseur. Lol.

You mentioned pitch for very trashy sites,but can you tell me
when do you use multi vs full tones exactly?
I have been using full tones the last 2 years with disc of -2.5.
I would like to expand my repertoire sort to speak.
Thanks

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You mentioned pitch for very trashy sites,but can you tell me
when do you use multi vs full tones exactly?
I have been using full tones the last 2 years with disc of -2.5.
I would like to expand my repertoire sort to speak.
Thanks

Sure -

I use full tones basically when I am not too worried about thick iron affecting non-ferrous targets and when the ground is not too mineralized. Basically, whenever I am coin shooting but looking for deep coins or when relic hunting and there is not a lot of iron. I don't like to use full tones if I have to apply any discrimination because I like to hear the iron and iron volume DOES NOT work in full tones. If you disc out iron in full tones, you can no longer hear it at all regardless of the iron volume setting.

I don't apply discrimination to NOT hear iron, I apply discrimination to keep iron from interfering with non-ferrous target id and when I want the horseshoe icon to work right. I always use some level of iron volume when in discrimination mode. So, whenever I apply discrimination I am either using pitch in thick iron as sort of a two-tone mode (i.e., pitch and iron volume) and I am NOT trying to go deep. I am just trying to separate out masked non-ferrous and trying to NOT let the ferrous down average the displayed non-ferrous target ID. Note that in pitch mode you cannot get any idea what the target id is audibly (there is no tone ID in pitch).

If I am using discrimination to filter out less thick iron or want to set up special tone breaks to cherry pick specific targets like silver or mid-conductive relics, then I will go with multi tones (usually 5 if coin shooting or 4 if relic hunting).

Finally, in real challenging mineralized soil I will use gold field, it is the deepest mode available but basically you are sacrificing target ID altogether (it is also a type of pitch mode, but does not use traditional iron discrimination, it uses iron cancelling but even that does not work well in highly mineralized soil) and just going beep dig at that point and digging any repeatable signal.

Hope that helps.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sure -

I use full tones basically when I am not too worried about thick iron affecting non-ferrous targets and when the ground is not too mineralized. Basically, whenever I am coin shooting but looking for deep coins or when relic hunting and there is not a lot of iron. I don't like to use full tones if I have to apply any discrimination because I like to hear the iron and iron volume DOES NOT work in full tones. If you disc out iron in full tones, you can no longer hear it at all regardless of the iron volume setting.

I don't apply discrimination to NOT hear iron, I apply discrimination to keep iron from interfering with non-ferrous target id and when I want the horseshoe icon to work right. I always use some level of iron volume when in discrimination mode. So, whenever I apply discrimination I am either using pitch in thick iron as sort of a two-tone mode (i.e., pitch and iron volume) and I am NOT trying to go deep. I am just trying to separate out masked non-ferrous and trying to NOT let the ferrous down average the displayed non-ferrous target ID. Note that in pitch mode you cannot get any idea what the target id is audibly (there is no tone ID in pitch).

If I am using discrimination to filter out less thick iron or want to set up special tone breaks to cherry pick specific targets like silver or mid-conductive relics, then I will go with multi tones (usually 5 if coin shooting or 4 if relic hunting).

Finally, in real challenging mineralized soil I will use gold field, it is the deepest mode available but basically you are sacrificing target ID altogether (it is also a type of pitch mode, but does not use traditional iron discrimination, it uses iron cancelling but even that does not work well in highly mineralized soil) and just going beep dig at that point and digging any repeatable signal.

Hope that helps.

Yes,very informative
Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions