yard find

weygtya

Nov 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20161112_082047_0.jpg
Found this in my back yard (northern Lancaster Co. Pa). I'd just love to know how it made it's way a foot deep in my back yard. What I've found out online about it.
Top symbol means Kang, bottom symbol means Xi, right symbol means circulating, left symbol means currency. So the Kangxi Emperor reigned from 1661 to 1722.

Upvote 14

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
It is a Chinese cash coin. I heard that they sent barrels of them over here with the railroad building Asian laborers. They are found all over the place, but especially in the western US.

Nice find.

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Neat find! Congrats. -Lisa & John

ucvrelics.com

Nov 3, 2014
Birmingham Al
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75LTD
Nautilus DMC 2b 15 inch head
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find, Maybe with this you can tell what it says, gives me a headache

chinese.jpeg

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
DETECTORS: XP Deus WS-4, Garrett AT Pro and Pro-Pointer, Fisher CZ-5
TOOLS: Piranha shovel & R85 Military digger, both by Predator Tools
ATTIRE: Red Head brand Knee-High Waterproof Snake Boots
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
really nice find. love to find one of those. congrats!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find, congratulations!

OP
OP
W

weygtya

Nov 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coin reads Kang Xi circulating currency but in this pic of the other side I'm not so sure what the bottom reads.
20161110_101122-1_1478954654940.jpg

Appalachianman76

Aug 22, 2016
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a Korean cash coin about a month ago in Southeastern Kentucky. Even though they aren't worth a lot, they can be very very old. Mine turned out to be minted from 1695 -1742. Lots brought over into the Western United States with Asian immigrants working on the railroads. However, in the Eastern part of the country Asians did not help build the railroads. Eastern railroads such as those in Pennsylvania and Kentucky where built by Irish immigrants. I found mine deep like you (mine was at 10 inches). This is a little deep for a coin that could have been brought back by a Korean War Vet. However, I found out that from the late 1800's to about the 1920's a fashion trend for the ladies was to have a sewing basket with these coins on them as decoration. Kinda like the Longaberger basket trend of modern times. This makes more sense to me in explaining how they got into yards of eastern areas during the turn of the century (when immigrants in this area where from different parts of Europe and not yet from Asia) and the depth they are found. A lady was sitting out in the yard sewing and the coin fell off or a child took it off their mothers sewing basket to play with and lost it out in the yard.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions