Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So my wife gave me the day to do whatever I want, as she was taking the kids up to upstate New York to do some hunting with her dad. Mind you, this doesn't happen very often that I get a day to myself. There were a lot of chores to be done around the house, including taking down the pool, which is usually most of a day's job. Of course, what I really wanted to do was go detecting! I decided to do my duty and take down the pool, and my reward would be an afternoon in the cornfield. I think it was the karma that I earned doing what she asked me to do when she left that led to me finding my first mass copper! I have no idea of the variety, because there are a ton of them. It's in the peroxide now, but I can already tell the coin was damaged in the ground. I'll try to post another picture if there are some details to try to determine the variety. It's been a while since I found anything that I thought was actually worth posting. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1444518542.264069.jpg Thanks for looking.

Upvote 23

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Bud, you back from Vermont? With your luck I thought you would've come back with a new variety of Vermont copper! Hey, if memory serves me you found your mass silver not long after you found one of your Mass coppers, right? Maybe my Willow tree or NE coin is coming up next!

Still in Vt working 7 days a week. Building this monstrosity at Stowe. image.jpg
image.jpg
No time to hunt here but I'm going home for a few days next weekend and hope to hunt a little bit. I did find my Mass silver not long after the Mass cent. So I'm sending you some good luck brother 88888888

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find. I've found CT's, VT's, NJ's and a lot of KG coppers, but never a Mass cent. Color me jealous. Most people don't know that the word CENT was first used on Mass coppers in 1787.

OP
OP
Dirtwisher

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find. I've found CT's, VT's, NJ's and a lot of KG coppers, but never a Mass cent. Color me jealous. Most people don't know that the word CENT was first used on Mass coppers in 1787.

That's some awesome trivia right there. It was so cool to see that little word in the middle of the coin.

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice! You don't see those getting dug every day. I love the design on those coins!

Steve

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the old Mass copper cent!

My favorite finds are the old coppers.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with Abe - gorgeous design on that coin. Great recovery!!

50chevyJoe

Apr 20, 2014
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, the field just keeps yielding. Curious to see what it looks like cleaned up. I'll probably return now that its been churned up.

OP
OP
Dirtwisher

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find, the field just keeps yielding. Curious to see what it looks like cleaned up. I'll probably return now that its been churned up.

Give it a whirl and let me know. A buddy and I spent 4 hours there Sunday as they were knocking the corn stalks down and between the two of us we didn't score one button or a coin! Couldn't believe it. Maybe it has to settle for a bit.

Chestdiesel

Jul 26, 2014
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome find, but really concerned about you putting it in peroxide?? Hope all goes well, please post pictures after its cleaned. Thanks for sharing. Cheers.

OP
OP
Dirtwisher

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Alright - for starters, I wish I had been patient and soaked with mineral oil rather than a peroxide bath. Two problems with that; I had no mineral oil and I'm not patient. I did do the oil after the peroxide and it looks better each day. With that said, here are the pics
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1445652662.141068.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1445652677.030171.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1445652694.105947.jpg
I have no idea what this would have looked like if I had just done the oil soak, but I think it would have been a bit better. The funny thing is that the field pics made it look awesome. I really think the accretion of dirt magnifies the detail if it's on there in just the right amount. This coin did suffer plow damage in the reverse, but there is still some great detail overall. Note the defined arrows in the eagles talon, and the word "cent" is very deep. This was not a well-circulated coin. Finding this one just makes me want to find a better one now (as would be found in a yard). I can only hope that happens!

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The same for me here. 14 Conns, 3 Vt's, 2 NJ's,.... 0 Ma. Kinda odd for living in ma. Congrats......Hogge

OP
OP
Dirtwisher

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hope you guys find one. It really is a unique design in that it was not patterned in any way on the British coinage. I love this thing. I think it's my favorite coin so far.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread