"No Stamp Act 1766" Buttons

Re: "No Stamp Act 1766" Buttons

muttandjeeps said:
My initial post led you (and me) astray. The button is made of copper or brass. Comparing mine and the photo provided, they are the same, but I do understand your post, pewter would have been toast.
Thanks, that lessens the confusion. So is your button copper or brass?

kyphote said:
muttandjeeps said:
It WAS/IS real, and is spectacular!
What makes you certain it's real? My assessment isn't based on any knowledge of this particular button (I have none); just my knowledge that pewter does pitifully under ground. Unless colonists owned vacuum sealers, this near-mint condition button cannot be authentic. Your buttons are authentic in my and everyone else's opinion. Gwdigger's buddy's button is a reproduction. I'll even send a free Riker case to the first person who convinces me otherwise (and, yes, I can be convinced). :wink:
I thought you were kidding about it being fake. Your assessment? :laughing9: This button is copper or brass, not pewter. Its a 15 minute ride out to the farm field where found. A field on a creek where no newer items were found. Unless someone went and planted a modern copy out in the middle of nowhere, it is the real deal.

gwdigger said:
kyphote said:
muttandjeeps said:
What makes you certain it's real? My assessment isn't based on any knowledge of this particular button (I have none); just my knowledge that pewter does pitifully under ground. Unless colonists owned vacuum sealers, this near-mint condition button cannot be authentic. Your buttons are authentic in my and everyone else's opinion. Gwdigger's buddy's button is a reproduction. I'll even send a free Riker case to the first person who convinces me otherwise (and, yes, I can be convinced). :wink:
I thought you were kidding about it being fake. Your assessment? :laughing9: This button is copper or brass, not pewter. Its a 15 minute ride out to the farm field where found. A field on a creek where no newer items were found. Unless someone went and planted a modern copy out in the middle of nowhere, it is the real deal.

Amigo, you need to take that 15 min ride out there and start laying a grid. You never know there may be another there.
M@J, I had to comment on these finds. I sorta lurked and drooled for some time, but enough is enough. A hearty congrats my friend. BTW, did you sell them? I figure not, at least not yet but I could be wrong. If you still have them could you post a couple more pics? I would love to see em again. OH yeah, BANNER BUMP AND THEN SOME!!!

21stTNCav said:
gwdigger said:
kyphote said:
muttandjeeps said:

Amigo, you need to take that 15 min ride out there and start laying a grid. You never know there may be another there.
M@J, I had to comment on these finds. I sorta lurked and drooled for some time, but enough is enough. A hearty congrats my friend. BTW, did you sell them? I figure not, at least not yet but I could be wrong. If you still have them could you post a couple more pics? I would love to see em again. OH yeah, BANNER BUMP AND THEN SOME!!!

Here is the original post when found:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,3123.0.html

Do you mean the Pitt button? Sadly, that site was developed into cheesy $350,000 cookie cutter homes. My buddy found the button and eventually sold it for big money. Had the button authenticated and sold it to some collector for $8k. In fact, the collector already had one but this one was far better.

"No Stamp Act 1766" Buttons

My son and I went back to the early 1700's site today. My 12yo son is killing me, button after button :wink:
Then I got a bouncy 20-24 on the 70, and behold the first of two (three really, one is a half button) "No Stamp Act 1766" buttons come out of the ground after a looooong rest. They look to be pewter and very dirty, but with very good detail. We soaked them in warm water, dried them well and here they are. I couldnt find any info online, and was hoping the crew here could help us out. Thanks in advance!
FYI these are sleeve links not freestanding buttons…
IMG_0335.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back