New Member wants MT buying advice for coin shooting

Oct 14, 2012
Upstate NY
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi, new member here. I haven't used a detector since the '70's when we had a crappy TX-60 or something. Found lots of bottle caps, pop tops, and cig foils. Sometimes some change. Now, I understand the technology is much better, and I want to get back into hunting. I work on a campus and would like to coin shoot on my lunch hour for dropped coins, jewelery, etc. Maybe some parks or beaches on weekends.
Locale: Albany, NY
Budget: Well, up to $1000 if it seems worth the investment. I'd rather spend $1K and be happy, than spend $500 on one and $1000 later on.
Water: Maybe, but water resistance seems very desirable in expensive gear.
Salt Water: No.
Rugged territory: No.
Gold prospecting: No.
Discrimination: The more, the better; the fewer holes I have to dig for nothing, the better. Going home with a bag of garbage is not what I want.

After a very slight reading of threads, I am leaning towards the Garrett AT Pro. I'd like to hear any pros and cons of other models I might have overlooked. AT Pro seems to be highly recommended here for anyone with the cash. $600 or so is right about what I'd *like* to spend.

Thank you for reading!
Dave

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
You could do well in the four to six franklin range. Just dont let it eat you up. Study, then purchase. Just learn the damn thing. That is the important part. Upgrade as you may wish.

Robert2300

Greenie
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Ace 250 and ESPECIALLY the Ace 350 are excellent machines.
You can use the coils from your 250 on the 350 but not the
other way around, at least not with any satisfaction. Factory ground
balance only

If all you want to do is coin shoot then they are the way to go in my opinion.
BUT the AT Pro is also a better way if you willing to spend up to $1000. You
can pick one up for just over $500-$600. Auto ground balance.

Garret puts out a fine machine and great customer service.

Good Luck
Robert2300

Blskypilot

Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Infinium ls
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't go wrong with the at pro in my opinion. Very capable and someone with very little experience can grab it up and be cherry picking the coins and silver very quickly.

Good dry or wet, nice and light, good audio and the price is nice for the performance. My wife approves as well and that definitely goes for something. Casual hunting as work allows (don't get out near as often as I'd like) but I've still managed to snag enough jewelry and clad with it in less than one summer where it has paid for itself a few times.

Get the 5x8 dd and enjoy.

Cons? Wish it had a lighted display...indiglo style

OP
OP
Diamondplate Dave
Oct 14, 2012
Upstate NY
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Update: I bought the AT Pro with the two coils. Had it shipped to SC where I will be spending a week's vacation for Christmas. I got my first invite from my host's co-worker:
"<....> has invited you to come metal detecting in the field behind her house. General Sherman stayed at a church down the road from where she lives during the attack on Columbia. His army was camped all around there. People who lived in that area all buried their valuables. Civil War era buttons and bullets turn up sometimes after that field gets plowed, and silver flatware from a buried stash turned up once or twice."
Sounds like a good lead!
Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread