XT705 and hot rocks

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi,

I got into bad hot rocks with my 70 and simply put it in coin mode and notched out the rocks. And still found gold nuggets.

Steve Herschbach

DD coil

Mar 27, 2008
Sacto CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab SSS-EEEE
I'd go to a bigger coil when you get away from those hot-rock's and trash.Thay get better dept :icon_pirat:h-work's good..HH......DD-coil

OP
OP
B

barber

Jun 21, 2005
Yakima,WA
Detector(s) used
XTerra 70 Xterra 705
I just got back from NO. CALIF, had nothing but trouble with my XT70. Try it on a small nugget one time, would give a steady one number reading, next time it would jump all over the place, The hot rocks just drove me nuts, and needless to say I found no gold. The creeks are dried up, my brother can't dredge now anyway, it was a mess. Had a (little) fun anyway.

goldseeker4000

Mar 5, 2011
Kalispell, Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab X-terra 705, Gold Monster 1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I own an x-terra 705 and hot rocks can be a problem but to get rid of them the 705 has a feature called "ground tracking offset" and with this you can set it negative or posative and you can set it to wipe out most of the hot rocks and not loose any depth on the gold. this is results with the 705 in highly mineralized ground with lots of hot rocks.

Attachments

• IMG_2349.JPG
    IMG_2349.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_2349.JPG
    IMG_2349.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 339
OP
OP
B

barber

Jun 21, 2005
Yakima,WA
Detector(s) used
XTerra 70 Xterra 705
Goldseeker, did you set it negative or positive, and how much. I was in No, CA, am going back to try it again with the 705 , Thanks for the info

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I set mine to positive , and also if you do not over do it you can notch out the rocks, I have had real good luck doing this , on the Xterra 705 .

We have some areas in Eastern Missouri where I hunt that has hot rocks all over and with heavy Iron in the soil , Hence Iron County Mo. They also mine lead and other heavy ore's in East Mo. So you will learn quick in those areas .
I have not every used a Xterra 70 so I can not compare between the two on this .

goldseeker4000

Mar 5, 2011
Kalispell, Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab X-terra 705, Gold Monster 1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I honestly can't remember if I set it neg, or pos. I moved it one way then the next til it quieted down. I have heard that moving it neg will give a pos adjustment and moving it pos will give neg result.

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
goldseeker4000 said:
I honestly can't remember if I set it neg, or pos. I moved it one way then the next til it quieted down. I have heard that moving it neg will give a pos adjustment and moving it pos will give neg result.

That is true about the X-terra here in America. The positive is negative here and the negative is positive. Some reason the control is opposite on the ground controls of minelabs here. Tim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread