ACE 250 Air Depth Tests

bobm31

Dec 18, 2005
Rowlett, TX (Dallas)
There have been several questions raised about the ACE 250 depth detection of coins and loss of depth at lower sensitivity.

This morning I conducted my own "air tests" at 4 bars & 8 bars of SENSITIVITY for a penny, a nickel, a dime, a quarter, a half, and a dollar. I placed the "yeller feller" on a table with the coil hanging off, away from any metal objects. I used a wooden ruler and passed the coins under the coil until I found the maximum distance that it would beep for each SENSITIVITY setting with it set to the COINS mode.

Here are the results:

Penny at 5-1/2" for 4 BARS and 9" for 8 BARS
Nickel at 5-3/4" for 4 BARS and 8-3/4" for 8 BARS
Dime (clad) at 5-1/2" for 4 BARS and 8" for 8 BARS
Quarter (clad) at 6" for 4 BARS and 8-1/2" for 8 BARS
Half (clad) at 6-1/2" for 4 BARS and 9-1/2" for 8 BARS
Dollar (clad) at 7-1/2" for 4 BARS and 10-1/2" for 8 BARS

If anyone else has done these tests, I would like to know your results for comparison. I don't know how "air tests" compare to "in ground tests". If anyone knows, please late me know. I welcome ALL COMMENTs

Upvote 0

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
Very nice!! I don't recall my exact numbers but seem very similar. In ground you usually lose a couple of inches. My finds confirm these results.
Thanks for your report!!
Greg

TXKajun

Oct 12, 2005
Desert Southwest
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 750
Many thanks! I seem to recall another poster doing similar tests, but don't recall when, either.

Anywho, well posted. Valuable info.

HH, ya'll!

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
This is VERY interesting indeed.

Some put no stock in air tests. Personally, I do.

I've found that in average soil air depth and ground depth are very close.

Long time buried corroded objects (iron, copper, etc.) detect deeper because they produce a larger target.

This really speaks well of the Ace and if accurate places it very near some machines costing $300 to $1200.

OP
OP
bobm31

bobm31

Dec 18, 2005
Rowlett, TX (Dallas)
Followup on my "air tests". I decided to check the accuracy of the depth meter (in air). I check several coins (penny, dime, half) at 4 BARS & 8 BARS and at 4" & 6". I got CORRECT readings every time.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
bobm31 said:
Followup on my "air tests". I decided to check the accuracy of the depth meter (in air). I check several coins (penny, dime, half) at 4 BARS & 8 BARS and at 4" & 6". I got CORRECT readings every time.

When you get a chance, do an in-ground test. I'm betting you'll get about the same readings.

This is very impressive and you're a real encouragement to others who use this machine.

Personally, I don't own a 250.

Many on this forum know that often there is little difference in depth (and other bells) between some very low cost machines and some costing 2 to 5 times more. Actually, if you saw the circuitry inside your machine and that inside some costing BIG bucks you may find little difference. For those of knowledge in electronics, metal detectors are really not all that complex.

The whole deal behind our high prices is the fact that metal detector manufacturers have such a limited market. If 20% of the homes in America suddenly wanted metal detectors, within two years you could buy the best machine going for under $100. In fact, it would probably be more like under $50 and it would be at Wally World.

Keep us updated on your testings.

OP
OP
bobm31

bobm31

Dec 18, 2005
Rowlett, TX (Dallas)
When the weather is warmer and the ground is not so muddy...I will repeat some of the "air tests" in the ground for comparison...probably after Christmas.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
bobm31 said:
When the weather is warmer and the ground is not so muddy...I will repeat some of the "air tests" in the ground for comparison...probably after Christmas.

Good. From your air tests I can already tell you're going to do very well with that machine. Read the honest posts on here and you'll read depths of 3 to 4 inches for awesome Civil War relics. Don't spread this around because it ticks some people off, but, rarely will a good find be more than 4 inches deep and your 250 can easily handle that depth. All of my solid gold rings and rare coins were less than 4 inches deep. The key depth for me is 3 3/4 inches. That's reading it off the screen.

People over-dig targets and some look at the bottom of the hole after the target is out. Others have depth meters that at not accurate. Some people hold their coil 3 inches from the ground when they check the depth? ;D

Trust that Ace and make it a part of your arm and you'll kill with it.

Don't waste time doubting your machine. Spend your time doing research. All the big finders on here are people of research.

OP
OP
bobm31

bobm31

Dec 18, 2005
Rowlett, TX (Dallas)
Zeb said:
bobm31 said:

When you get a chance, do an in-ground test. I'm betting you'll get about the same readings.

Zeb:

I did the "in ground" tests today and they confirmed my "air tests". See my "In gound test" post..Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread