Artifact? Unique Stone.

OldScout

Jun 19, 2014
Southwest Ohio, Indiana, KY area
Detector(s) used
Magnifying glass
Primary Interest:
Other
Found this in SouthWestern Indiana in a river bed after a flooding. Any ideas about this one? Of Native American origin? Interesting points: the shape, the hole, some straight parallel lines on one side (appear to be lightly cut into the face). You can't see it that well in the photo, but around the hole, it is definitely worn down (maybe as if a rope was tied in there and it wore away after much use?).

Thanks for any help in identifying if and or/what this may be.

Thank you!

OS

Attachments

• IMG_3321.JPG
    IMG_3321.JPG
    766.2 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_3322.JPG
    IMG_3322.JPG
    690.8 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
Upvote 0

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a water worn pottery shard to me due to the markings I see on it. Pottery will "feel" like stone sometimes. Have you found any other Native American type artifacts in that area?

OP
OP
O

OldScout

Jun 19, 2014
Southwest Ohio, Indiana, KY area
Detector(s) used
Magnifying glass
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for assisting. This was found where a known indian camp was. It was found in the river about 100 yards from the camp. I was looking for rocks and fossils. I don't know a lot about indian items...actually I don't know all that much about rocks or fossils either. :)

Last edited:

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for assisting. This was found where a known indian camp was. It was found in the river about 100 yards from the camp. I was looking for rocks and fossils. I don't know a lot about indian items...actually I don't know all that much about rocks or fossils either. :)

You might find a projectile point there and more! We're rock hounds at our house too and the first shard we found a couple years ago was found while looking for cool rocks in our creek lol Good luck on your next hunt!

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, but all I see is a water worn piece of what look like Limestone. It is natural and not and artifact.

Could be that also. I can see the X's and flower looking patterns I see on pottery I find but knowing how they used grass baskets for the base of some pottery it's possible what he has is a stone with plant fossils, I've found stones with them in it around here. So OldScout you may have a stone with plant fossils or it might be pottery, either way it's a keeper.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Geofact, I found hundreds just like this one in Missouri....

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Treasure_Hunter,
Could you provide a few pictures of the geofacts found? I found one myself in Quebec, would like to compare because mine looks strangely similar. What kind of conditions would it take to cause a shape like this? I have a doubt now about the natural process, but if there is a plausible explanation I'm willing to hear.
objet_inconnu1.jpg objet_inconnu2.jpg
By the way, the stone I found is about 5,5 inches on the longest side and 2,5 inches wide.
Here it is from photos above and also my August 11th post :
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/472494-help-please-identify-strange-rock.html

Anyone with a stone like OldScout and myself?:icon_scratch:

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill wabo, I didn't collect them because there were so many of them. I was looking for artifacts, wasn't into collecting geofacts.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Treasure_Hunter,
Could you provide a few pictures of the geofacts found? I found one myself in Quebec, would like to compare because mine looks strangely similar. What kind of conditions would it take to cause a shape like this? I have a doubt now about the natural process, but if there is a plausible explanation I'm willing to hear.
View attachment 1209459 View attachment 1209460
By the way, the stone I found is about 5,5 inches on the longest side and 2,5 inches wide.
Here it is from photos above and also my August 11th post :
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/472494-help-please-identify-strange-rock.html

Anyone with a stone like OldScout and myself?:icon_scratch:

There are a lot of ways that stone's like the ones posted can form. When the earth was young and all stone was molten, gas would get trapped and it had to have a way to get out, so it would make channels like a round hole, press it's way outward but not make it before the stone cooled causing a void that would fill later with another matrix, water will do this also when trying to escape. Then later when the stone is broken down the matrix falls out leaving a hole. Then also it depends on the stone type roots some time can leave a hole in some types of stone, the stone forms around the root, then when the root dies and decays it leaves a perfect hole. There are so many ways that mother nature can make perfect holes in stone that it would be hard to list them all, but one thing for sure she can surely trick you.

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks monsterrack, that is a valid explanation. I will go in my August 11th post and mark it solved. Was surprised to see a similar stone many miles apart from my spot, that was cause my interest. And yes, mother nature can be tricky, i will post another photo next week cause I saw a stone with lines in a grid-like pattern, but did not have the camera with me. My wife thinks it's artifact but I think it's natural, I let you be the judges (i'm new to this), i should post it next sunday when back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread