Large Livery Button with Griffin (Cleaning in Progress)

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I thought I'd take a shot at cleaning this Livery Button since it seemed relatively toasted. I remember reading an article about someone having success with neat vinegar and it has worked well for me on a couple other items in the past. After about 45 minutes I couldn't believe the detail starting to come through. It's now been in the vinegar for several hours and most of the griffin is visible and I'm starting to see text on the back of the button.

The griffin has two out-stretched claws and is standing (sitting?) on a roped bar. You can even see its hooked tail, tongue, two ears, and beak pretty clearly. Both wings are showing now.

On the back I can see what looks like 153 Strand London. Is this enough for anyone to ID it for me. Based on how much detail was revealed, I think it's going back into a neat vinegar bath :)

I've attached the before and after pics below.

Attachments

• Livery Button with Griffin (obverse).jpg
    Livery Button with Griffin (obverse).jpg
    161 KB · Views: 145
  • Livery Button with Griffin (obverse, cleaning).jpg
    Livery Button with Griffin (obverse, cleaning).jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 144
Upvote 1

tngirl

Mar 16, 2012
N. Middle Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x & 1280 Aquanaut, White's XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will have to try that - I can't believe how well it's working. Sorry I can't help ID it, but it is a really neat looking button.

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi TNGirl, I let the button soak overnight and all of the green is gone from the obverse revealing the entire griffin. Most of the green is gone from the reverse revealing more of the backmark. I figure one more good soak should do it and then I'll apply a coat of pure bees wax to try and bring out the detail. I can't believe how well it cleaned up from where it was! Best, Erik

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm probably asking one of the dumbest questions ever, but what is "neat vinegar"? Different than common store bought cooking vinegar? Is it stronger?

M

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry for the confusion--by "neat" I meant straight or undiluted with water (or anything else). I just used regular store bought white vinegar. It seems to work very well--basically dissolves the heavy green oxidation that was all over this button. Boiling hydrogen peroxide removes the dirt but leaves the green oxidation intact. I think by the next soaking I will have the full backmark revealed. Will post another pic soon.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Button Makers and their backmarks - ukdfd

Search this for the backmark. Probably Firmin & ? as they were at that address in London.

I have seen this type, it is clearly a Griffin cut off at its middle by the 'rope' (forget the technical name).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the link. The button is cleaning up quite well based on it's original condition, no?

TENNESSEEGAL

Aug 20, 2005
Oak Ridge, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Minelab Excalabur 11
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! It looks amazing! I cant believe the detail that is coming out! what an awesome find!

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks TN Gal! Wait till the next round of scans....it's still soaking in vinegar and looks like an entirely different button now. The backmark is fully visible and the detail on the griffin is amazing. I just got some pure bees wax and once it's done I'm going to rub a bit of wax on it to try and bring out the details. Stay tuned.... :)

Best, Erik

TENNESSEEGAL

Aug 20, 2005
Oak Ridge, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Minelab Excalabur 11
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Erik in NJ said:
Thanks TN Gal! Wait till the next round of scans....it's still soaking in vinegar and looks like an entirely different button now. The backmark is fully visible and the detail on the griffin is amazing. I just got some pure bees wax and once it's done I'm going to rub a bit of wax on it to try and bring out the details. Stay tuned.... :)

Best, Erik

I can't wait!

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi TN Gal,

Thanks for posting the link! That's the same motif, but it's definitely a different button. That one could be a bit older as the griffin is more primitive looking than mine. I understand that a griffin was typically depicted on English livery buttons for some reason, so i'm sure there are lots of different types out there. I think I'm done soaking it in vinegar as no more debris seems to be coming off. I'll apply the bees wax tonight and repost it.

Sheshen Eceni: Buttons Gallery

There is a button listed on this page that I think could be your button. Fourth down on the left Take a look for yourself. I'm no expert. Lol

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whwn you can post a pic so we can see the after shots. Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread