Big Beach Find! What the heck is it?

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't been detecting for long, got a pioneer 505 a few years ago for my birthday but haven't been home much to use it. Today, my son and I went up to the beach near where we live (Virginia Beach, Chesapeake Beach area) and found what you see in the pictures below....
IMG_1181 resized.jpgIMG_1191 resized.jpgIMG_1195 resized.jpgIMG_1187 resized.jpg

The signal was STRONG and reading between $0.10-$1.00 and said silver...yeah right! Not even close on that one eh? Anyway, it was about 2 1/2-3 feet down and laying flat. Dug it out by hand with a sand scoop, yeah...it took a WHILE to get it cleared off and up on it's end. It is basically a large piece of asphalt (looks sorta old as it has large rocks in it) sandwiched between 2 sheets of metal (guessing iron or steel). The down side was almost rusted away as I was starting to hit water where it was laying. Also found a brick and a hose clamp that were underneath it.
IMG_1183 resized.jpgIMG_1184 resized.jpgIMG_1185 resized.jpgIMG_1186 resized.jpg
Brick looks more modern but can't really tell for sure. Found the penny about 50 ft away near a sand dune. Anyone have any idea what this thing is? There was a road and houses on this beach a LONG time ago (possibly up until the 1930's or so) and you can still find large chunks of asphalt under the water off the beach but never found any encased in metal. Maybe part of an old pier or something? Let me know if ya have any thoughts! And as always....fill in your holes!
IMG_1200 resized.jpg

Upvote 1
Good work, good luck next hunt!

I'll hand it to you, that takes determination. I don't think I have seen a hole that size which wasn't dug by a backhoe. My hat is off to you. :notworthy:

Coinhound

I'd guess a piece of an boat pier. Would have to be strong enough to support traffic and weather and salt air, and from watching all the road construction, highway rebar is not flat.

My wife and I dug a 4' piece similar to that at Virginia Beach last year - it was about 36" down - took 30 minutes and we drew quite a crowd! I TOLD her to ignore that signal! :laughing7:

It looks sorta like part of the metal transition platform that bridges between a bridge deck and the asphalt roadway.

throw it in an electrolysis bath n see what it looks like.

Thanks to all for the replys! Yeah, I wasn't gonna let up on that one! Kept getting a signal right in the center and just kept going......after a while I just HAD to know what it was...even if it was trash or whatever! I think you guys are right (as I sorta suspected) that it is part to a pier or transition piece. We are right next to Little Creek NAB, where I was stationed for 20 years, so It could be something from from there that maybe got dumped or moved a long time ago. My son and I pulled it out and moved it up to the base of the dunes nearby. Wasn't gonna bury it again for some other luckless person (or me in the future) to find. If you are in the area, and really wanna see it, let me know and I'll tell ye where it is. I can FEDEX it if anyone wants it BUT......YOU gotta pay the shipping! (only 150 lbs or so.....)

throw it in an electrolysis bath n see what it looks like.
Got anything it will FIT in? It's pretty damm BIG and heavy!

Whopper of a find! We need good diggers at the Tidewater Coin and Relic Club. We meet the second Tuesday of the month at 6:30 PM Mary Pretlow Library 111 W. Oceanview Ave. Norfolk, VA Everyone's welcome. Come check us out and see the finds from meeting to meeting. The Tidewater Coin and Relic Club Official Web Site

DocBeav said:
Got anything it will FIT in? It's pretty damm BIG and heavy!

A Rubbermaid trash can, a hose, a box or two of soda, and the car battery charger everyone seems to use

UPDATE: If anyone wanted to see it....it's gone now! My son and I hauled it up into the dunes but Hurricane Sandy decided she wanted it more! Maybe I'll find it again after she passes and leaves us whole new areas to detect! Stay safe out there!

DocBeav said:
UPDATE: If anyone wanted to see it....it's gone now! My son and I hauled it up into the dunes but Hurricane Sandy decided she wanted it more! Maybe I'll find it again after she passes and leaves us whole new areas to detect! Stay safe out there!

You too!

LoL, hope your son didn't make you do both the digging and carrying!

<grin>
It looks like the piece of scrap iron that pirates used to place above their treasure-chests to confound future detectorists...better go back and dig just a little bit further.:treasurechest:
</grin>

enjoy the hunt,
cc

LoL, hope your son didn't make you do both the digging and carrying!

<grin>
It looks like the piece of scrap iron that pirates used to place above their treasure-chests to confound future detectorists...better go back and dig just a little bit further.:treasurechest:
</grin>

enjoy the hunt,
cc

LOL YEAH! Don't I wish! If there was, it was all the way under water as the sand right under it was sloppy and the sides were caving in.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back