Flea Market Treasure, Two Rings & Two Crowns from Two Short Hunts.......

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn't get to hit my sweet silver spot Friday as planned 'cause my son was sick and we had to postpone the trip.

I had a weekend event that didn't leave much of a chance to hunt but I did manage to find a little silver at a church sale/flea market:

Two Crowns Junk Rings, Great Razor August 10 2015 001.JPG Two Crowns Junk Rings, Great Razor August 10 2015 002.JPG

The round "St. Michael, Patron of Police" Medal is Sterling and the other one has a Sterling chain only. The medal is junk. I gave three bucks for both so I'm real happy with that deal.

Then, I found what I consider a REAL, TRUE flea market treasure that any man (or woman) over, say....... 45 should certainly appreciate. It's a beautiful thing, a precision instrument and a timeless classic:

Two Crowns Junk Rings, Great Razor August 10 2015 003.JPG

...... a BRAND NEW 1976 Gillette Super Speed Butterfly style Safety razor that came with two Gillette Platinum Plus blades. Even better, I got TWO of them still in the original sealed packs and paid three bucks for both; 1.50 each.

I had the best shave (outside of a barber shop) I've had in over 25 years this morning. I had forgotten just how awesome these old razors are. It's a real shame they ever stopped making them. I can't wait to use it again tomorrow morning.

These things are WAY better than those (highly) overpriced, multi blade razors they sell nowadays.
They're actually up to SIX blades now. I guess the first FIVE don't cut good enough??

I love the weight and feel of this type of razor and with a nice sharp blade you just can't beat 'em. I used this type of razor when I first started shaving and it's great to have one back.
I'm ordering 100 blades and I'll be set for a long time.

Then I did manage to get in two short hunts at the same park. I found two rings, (#'s 38 & 39) both fake:

Two Crowns Junk Rings, Great Razor August 10 2015 004.JPG

The "gold" one is marked 14K with "TW" inside an oval. It's plated. Before I knocked the dirt out of it I was certain I had scored another nice gold ring but it's an actual fake. There's a ghost image of the original mark on the inside. It looks like it was ground off and the fake mark added.
Another real heart stopper.

The other one is just cheap shiny metal; not silver. It wasn't even underground but hidden in the grass. They look pretty but together they're probably worth maybe two bucks??

Then I dug two "crowns"; a medallion and charm of some sort, both junk but kinda' cool IMO. I found them in two separate areas of the park not 15 minutes apart. Again, it's amazing how things seem to come in waves. These are the second and third crown items I've found in this park. Go figure:

Two Crowns Junk Rings, Great Razor August 10 2015 005.JPG

I also dug the usual clad and the oldest coins were a '62D penny, a '41 Nickel and a '65 dime.

Two Crowns Junk Rings, Great Razor August 10 2015 006.JPG

I've dug many '65 quarters and dimes this year and many pre '65 nickels and pennies but have yet to find a single silver coin so far. I hope to change that very soon when I finally get back to my sweet silver spot; hopefully within a week.

That's about it. Overall, I'm not disappointed. I got some silver, a few more rings for the count and a couple of interesting pieces. I spent time with my kids and some great friends. It was an awesome weekend and I even managed to squeeze in a couple quick hunts.

Thanks for lookin' & Happy Hunting.

Last edited:
Upvote 14

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you did very well.

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had the same issue in the field I've been pounding, lots of pennies and nickels in the silver age but no silver. Oh well, I will finish the field anyway, it has been kind in other ways.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They still make the safety razors (maybe not Gillette). I have two of them a standard and a butterfly. My razors cost $15 for 100 razors and it last me around one year. I get mine from Fendrihan Canada - Shaving, Grooming and Men's Gifts and they have a fendrihan.com one also.

Yeah, I'm aware they're still available but I was talking about Gillette specifically. They do still make some in Russia and other countries but to get them here you have to really pay. These things used to be a dime a dozen. Getting two for 3 bucks was the deal of the century.

I would LOVE to find some Personna 74 blades. They were the best ever.
They were so good and lasted so long that the company was losing money and eventually discontinued them.

Last edited:

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
amazing to find an actual fake ring like that. Someone went to a lot of trouble to restamp! That's so weird...

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
amazing to find an actual fake ring like that. Someone went to a lot of trouble to restamp! That's so weird...

I know. It sure was a disappointment.

Also, they didn't bother making the inside of the ring even appear to be gold. You can't tell so much in the pic but it basically looks like chrome. Only the outer surface is plated.

But there are many gullible people out there.

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
Good finds! You are indeed a brave man. I had to keep an alum stick handy and plaster my face with bits of toilet paper when I used those "safety razors". I remember as a kid watching my Grandpa shave with a straight razor. He would shoo me off because I made him nervous. :D
Good Luck,
Phil

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good finds! You are indeed a brave man. I had to keep an alum stick handy and plaster my face with bits of toilet paper when I used those "safety razors". I remember as a kid watching my Grandpa shave with a straight razor. He would shoo me off because I made him nervous. :D
Good Luck,
Phil

I asked my barber about getting a straight razor . His exact words were, "Don't do it".

Apparently, you can die if you make a mistake with one of those things.

As far as the standard safety razor goes, I've always liked them. The trick is to let only the weight of the razor be your pressure and let the blade do the work. Also use very short , easy strokes, cut with the grain on your first pass and most importantly, take your time.
They cut SO well.

I've been wanting one for a while but they're so expensive. I saw the guy from Pawn Stars advertising an "as seen on TV" deal on a Chinese made model for 20 bucks. I got a way better deal on mine and they're made in the USA.

Apparently, they're making a huge comeback.
Some sellers are getting over 50 bucks for one razor. That's just too much IMO.

Last edited:

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to rip my face up with those " safety " razors. Bics went well, then I grew a beard.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice above and below hunt! That razor is a great find!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
GARRETT SOME DECENT ITEMS YOU GOT THERE . I ALWAYS SAY ST MICHAELS BEATS EVERY ONE TO THERE FINDS , EVERYTIME.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't get to hit my sweet silver spot Friday as planned 'cause my son was sick and we had to postpone the trip.

I had a weekend event that didn't leave much of a chance to hunt but I did manage to find a little silver at a church sale/flea market:

View attachment 1197950 View attachment 1197952

The round "St. Michael, Patron of Police" Medal is Sterling and the other one has a Sterling chain only. The medal is junk. I gave three bucks for both so I'm real happy with that deal.

Then, I found what I consider a REAL, TRUE flea market treasure that any man (or woman) over, say....... 45 should certainly appreciate. It's a beautiful thing, a precision instrument and a timeless classic:

View attachment 1197953

...... a BRAND NEW 1976 Gillette Super Speed Butterfly style Safety razor that came with two Gillette Platinum Plus blades. Even better, I got TWO of them still in the original sealed packs and paid three bucks for both; 1.50 each.

I had the best shave (outside of a barber shop) I've had in over 25 years this morning. I had forgotten just how awesome these old razors are. It's a real shame they ever stopped making them. I can't wait to use it again tomorrow morning.

These things are WAY better than those (highly) overpriced, multi blade razors they sell nowadays.
They're actually up to SIX blades now. I guess the first FIVE don't cut good enough??

I love the weight and feel of this type of razor and with a nice sharp blade you just can't beat 'em. I used this type of razor when I first started shaving and it's great to have one back.
I'm ordering 100 blades and I'll be set for a long time.

Then I did manage to get in two short hunts at the same park. I found two rings, (#'s 38 & 39) both fake:

View attachment 1197956

The "gold" one is marked 14K with "TW" inside an oval. It's plated. Before I knocked the dirt out of it I was certain I had scored another nice gold ring but it's an actual fake. There's a ghost image of the original mark on the inside. It looks like it was ground off and the fake mark added.
Another real heart stopper.

The other one is just cheap shiny metal; not silver. It wasn't even underground but hidden in the grass. They look pretty but together they're probably worth maybe two bucks??

Then I dug two "crowns"; a medallion and charm of some sort, both junk but kinda' cool IMO. I found them in two separate areas of the park not 15 minutes apart. Again, it's amazing how things seem to come in waves. These are the second and third crown items I've found in this park. Go figure:

View attachment 1197958

I also dug the usual clad and the oldest coins were a '62D penny, a '41 Nickel and a '65 dime.

View attachment 1197959

I've dug many '65 quarters and dimes this year and many pre '65 nickels and pennies but have yet to find a single silver coin so far. I hope to change that very soon when I finally get back to my sweet silver spot; hopefully within a week.

That's about it. Overall, I'm not disappointed. I got some silver, a few more rings for the count and a couple of interesting pieces. I spent time with my kids and some great friends. It was an awesome weekend and I even managed to squeeze in a couple quick hunts.

Thanks for lookin' & Happy Hunting.

Glad to have gotten acquainted with you Garrett424. Once again, very well done on your church sale items. You could easily get above $40.00 dollars a piece for those razors I reckon. Probably way more as they were new in there original packaging. Well, I am considering going to jump in a local stream with my Garrett AT Pro. Hot today but, I think there's a few spots I can dunk myself in to cool off if need be. Have a great day mate.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread