Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went out on sunday to finish a field with a roman site. We had strong winds close to storm and listening to the headphones was nearly impossible even under the hood. I still managed some nice finds and will show the top find separate here. I got a button i didn't noticed because it was slightly muddy. :laughing7: Washing finds at home i had a french military button in my hand. Nothing really special in our fields. When looking for the numbers i found the characters BV instead of a line infantry number. Bramblefind had it IDed in the What it Forum. Thanks!

Now to the history. The Battailon Valaisan exist between 1805 and 1811. Valais is a Swiss canton with the St. Bernard and Simplon Passes. 1802 Valais broke with the other Swiss Cantons and declared itself as independent Republic with formal protection by France. Napoleon got a Battailon with Valaisan volunteers to support his troops during his Spain campaign. The total strenght was 661 officers and man. All had a red uniform with the BV buttons. The active serve of the battailon began and ended in the province Catalonia in eastern Spain. First action was 15th July 1808, then 24th July 1808 at the Spanish fortress Gerona and later the second defence of Gerona between May and December 1809.
On 12th Nov. 1810 Napoleon annexed the region Valaise and the Battailon was not longer needed. On 12th Dec. 1810 the men swear allegiance to their new master. In Feb. 1811 the Battailon was withdrawn from Spain, refitted and should become now the 11th Regiment of light Infantry.
The Battailon was not formally disbanded until 16th Sep. 1811 at the depot of the 11th Light in Wesel/Germany.

Coming back to the button: The button travelled back from Spain February 1811 to Wesel/Germany. So this button was lost only a couple days marches of Wesel in a field close to the old road from Cologne to France. This road was built by the Romans, used by troops over 100s of years as one of the classic gates to Germany, the last time 1944/45 by american GIs.

The two surviving uniforms are from a Grenadier officer and of a Grenadier corporal. Both in museum now. The buttons are decorated with the initials 'BV' in the centre and the legend Empire Francaise around the circumference.
Here is the complete history: https://books.google.ch/books?id=cU..._esc=y#v=onepage&q=Bataillon Valaisan&f=false Thanks again Bramblefind for the link.

Attachments

• IMG_20160221_220409.jpg
    IMG_20160221_220409.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 146
  • IMG_20160221_220244.jpg
    IMG_20160221_220244.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 132
  • battalionValaisan.jpg
    battalionValaisan.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 438
  • BV.jpg
    BV.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Upvote 20

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's for the info!
Really great find. And from what I read, RARE!
Congrats West.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
MAN WHAT A NEET FIND, INCLUDING THE HISTORY ...

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a beauty with incredible history. Great find and really nice post West

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
I think it's time to see a rare Eurpean button up on the Banner! Great find

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz! That's pretty awesome! Thanks for the history as well!

OP
OP
Westfront

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all! :occasion14:

That's for the info!
Really great find. And from what I read, RARE!
Congrats West.

Thanks Vino! I guess it's very rare. There is nothing recorded as far as i can find at the moment. I need to contact some of the military button collectors to hear what they say.

That's a beauty with incredible history. Great find and really nice post West

Very nice find. Great history! Congrats

Congratz! That's pretty awesome! Thanks for the history as well!

It's the first button with such a detailled unit history written down. Makes it somewhat special.

I think it's time to see a rare Eurpean button up on the Banner! Great find

Thanks Barefoot! I don't think it gets many votes. When it comes to military buttons the main interest is in local history, Rev War/CW. It's an amazing piece of history for guys interested in Napoleonic wars and the changes for Europe just at eve of the Battle of Nations, Leipzig 1813. The soldier who lost this button was most likely participant in that battle two years later!

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Nice button Westfront , lots of history attached to it.:thumbsup:. By strange coincidence I've recently put something very similar, but British on ebay.Robert.

Attachments

• IMG_7738.JPG
    IMG_7738.JPG
    158.6 KB · Views: 69
OP
OP
Westfront

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Robert! Whats the story behind your button? I'm still unsuccessful with my one. My french is just good enough to get me in trouble, but not for the books about Napoleonic troops and gear... There was one Button on ebay, but not longer visible. Must be very rare stuff. :dontknow:

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Thanks Robert! Whats the story behind your button? I'm still unsuccessful with my one. My french is just good enough to get me in trouble, but not for the books about Napoleonic troops and gear... There was one Button on ebay, but not longer visible. Must be very rare stuff. :dontknow:
During the wars with Napoleon English towns raised there own volunteer militias. This one is the Bawtry Volunteer Infantry. Bawtry at that time, was an inland port, and strategically placed near to the great north road. I've had three of these buttons over the years, I live close to Bawtry. Robert.

OP
OP
Westfront

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
During the wars with Napoleon English towns raised there own volunteer militias. This one is the Bawtry Volunteer Infantry. Bawtry at that time, was an inland port, and strategically placed near to the great north road. I've had three of these buttons over the years, I live close to Bawtry. Robert.

Similar history, how many men had the Bawtry Volunteers? And how much did a button like this fetch? Just curious.

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Similar history, how many men had the Bawtry Volunteers? And how much did a button like this fetch? Just curious.
Bawtry Volunteer Infantry. Raised1803-8, commanding officer - Major the Viscount of Falway. Size, 166 rank and file, probably in three companies. Uniform, red jackets and gold lace. The button is on ebay now , ends later today , presently at £6.50. Robert.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread