Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
42,43 and 44 Merc and a silver Rosie, one of my best single days [or nights] ever for me.

A little history of this spot. There
is a school about 4 blocks from my house built in the 1930's. Has tot lots which I have detected dozens of times over the years, and a fair sized field, not huge by school standards but not small, large enough for a small baseball field, which is basically what it was most of its history.
So how many times do you think I have detected the old school field within walking distance from my house over the last decade since I have been into detecting ? Dozens of times ? Countless times ? Pounded to death ?
No, this is the first time I have tried detecting there. Actually tried once years ago in the heat of summer, ground was rock hard and, like a cave man, I thought "Hard ground bad ! Me no like hard ground ! Me no come back here no more !"
So apparently, I had mentally deleted this place from my head as a potential hunting spot. I know some guys will hack stuff out of hard ground, not me. When I run into hard ground or root infested ground, I generally give up and look for greener pastures. Even when I got my Deus XP last year and I was wracking my brain for a decent spots to run it, this field never entered my head, even though I pretty much drive right by it multiple times a day.

So anyhow was out detecting tot lots at night with the warm weather, not much luck in the woodchips so I started veering towards the grass. Planned on just detecting to my truck but I veered off again to the right, thinking with the recent rains ground digging might not be so bad. Dug a couple clad quarters then nailed the 1st merc, I was elated and after that, I started ignoring the screamers and started digging the spotty signals with a good coin sized pinpoint.

Good strategy, just about got more silvers than clad. Was using Ace 400, gotta say the depth of this thing is pathetic, one of the dimes I dug was around 3 inches maybe, I put it back in the hole and swept it and barely got any signal at all ... So everything I found was 3" or less.
Obviously will be going back with the Deus and see what else is there, not that I swept the field with the 400, probably covered less than 1/10th of it. Really, really good sign to find shallow silvers like that right off the bat, tells me I may have stumbled upon virgin land.

Attachments

• IMG_1904.JPG
    IMG_1904.JPG
    500.6 KB · Views: 146
Upvote 24
OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No coins today at the school yard, did manage to find a silver ring, generic [I think] USN button and a lot of clad.

Newer clad most likely pocket change, I tend not to be too anal about counting every penny I find and my finds get mixed with whatever I happen to have in my pocket.

Attachments

• IMG_1985.JPG
    IMG_1985.JPG
    474.6 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you hit a hot spot that should give you anymore hunts and finds.
Awesome and Congrats!!

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hit the field again tonight, found a silver charm with what looks to be arabic scrawl and a silver ting.

Lots of clad, pretty frustrating when you get a coin 4-5" down only to find it modern, especially at a place that has produces oldies before.

Attachments

• IMG_2193.JPG
    IMG_2193.JPG
    381.3 KB · Views: 60

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers