A Huge QUARTER Bonanza found Today - FIRST time Hunted

wlb42

Dec 4, 2011
Florida
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Whites TRX Pinpointer, Whites MX5, Bounty Hunter 3300 Discovery, Whites Coinmaster Pro, Whites Quantum 2, Whites 6000, Whites 6DB, Whites Beachcomber.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
YES, again it was all CLAD, but found so many Quarters that I had to quit hunting any other coins after about 15 minutes into the hunt. I was only there 3 hours and 15 minutes at a Private Christian School in FLORIDA, K - 12 that was having new roofs installed and was also on Spring Break this week so nobody around but the "roofing crew", and I have always wondered if anyone had ever hunted it. So, not knowing if I could ever get back there in the near future - I turned my "attention" to ALL the quarters that I was retrieving "in abundance". So, what does 80-Quarters, 9-Dimes & 5-Cents looks like? (picture below). A total of 94 coins and a $total of $20.95. Here is what is strange I DID NOT dig one single "recent drop" (NO shiny coins) - ALL of these were 3 to 8 inches down so it took some time and "quick recovery" which I am able to do with just a screwdriver & a good TRX pinpointer & using very small hole recoveries - NOT one plug was done. After 48 years doing this I have learned a FEW tricks, what I call "popping" coins from the ground quickly. GOOD LUCK & Happy Hunting to ALL.
My highest $ average ever of $.2229 cents average per coin target, of 94 total coins found today

P1010082.jpg

BILL
Northern "Panhandle" FLORIDA

Last edited:
Upvote 35

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt, that's a big pile of quarters in one short hunt, congratulations

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
gas money or something to eat and drink!

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! That's some serious digging. Congrats!

Kona Koma

Bronze Member
Nov 13, 2017
On the Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clad works. That’s a ton of hits. Good job.

OP
OP
wlb42

wlb42

Dec 4, 2011
Florida
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Whites TRX Pinpointer, Whites MX5, Bounty Hunter 3300 Discovery, Whites Coinmaster Pro, Whites Quantum 2, Whites 6000, Whites 6DB, Whites Beachcomber.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Clad works. That’s a ton of hits. Good job.
Hey, Koma......Thanks for the comment.......I had tons of hits that I ignored because of my very limited time, and just concentrated on the "higher value" targets that read VDI 81-83 on my MX5 that is 99% chance of being a quarter or piece of large copper tubing or wire. Or else I would have found about a 1/3 as many quarters & 80-pennies instead. "LIFE" is all about "choices" and sometimes with a "small window" of opportunity that WE all have to make at times...lol. GOOD LUCK & Happy Hunting, my friend.

BILL

Last edited:

sylvia40

Nov 16, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like to avg. 15 coins per hour, but I can only hope to hit a spot as saturated as yours!

OP
OP
wlb42

wlb42

Dec 4, 2011
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a nice haul ! I was so hoping they were all gonna be silvers !
Hey, Argentium.......Yes, I agree but in reality $20 worth of clad quarters ARE in fact worth about 6 SILVER quarters at the current rate of Silver Spot of $15.49 oz. A common silver Washington quarter at my local coin shop, I can buy at $3.00 each that has a melt value of $2.80 - SO I agree & to dig 6 silver quarters in one hunt would be "awesome" and the SAME as digging 80 clad quarters if a person wanted to convert the "clad" to SILVER. And I Love SILVER & keep ALL that I find & also convert some of my "clad" to silver coins. I have even selected Mercury dimes (which are one of my favorites) and picked them out of their so called "junk silver" box that they send out for melt. Some of the common date ones will even be Fine, Very Fine or even Extra Fine at times. GOOD LUCK & Happy Hunting. BILL

Last edited:

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Way to go on a heck of a hunt. I think my most quarters in a hunt was a little shy of 50 under the bleachers of an older high school. Way to go on some good stuff. I hope you get some jewelry on your next visit, seems like it should be there.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome clad shooting, congrats! :occasion14:

OP
OP
wlb42

wlb42

Dec 4, 2011
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like to avg. 15 coins per hour, but I can only hope to hit a spot as saturated as yours!
Hey, Sylvia....Thanks for your comment -- this School was only founded in 1966 & built, so I was not expecting to find anything very old, but schools are very good spots to find large amount of coins because of the amount of congregating kids in school every school day all year long and the potential to drop loose change. I averaged a coin about every 2.07 minutes at this school or about 30 per hour, but faster "recovery" time is almost as important as finding a target. I find schools much better than beaches for "coin drops". And of course the older schools have tremendous opportunities for older SILVER coins. GOOD LUCK & Happy Hunting. BILL

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I think it's safe to say that we all dream of finding multiple silvers in a hunt - (or a cache ) .
I think the most I've pulled was 2 or 3 silver coins in a single hunt - keep on livin the dream !

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is some high level coin shooting:icon_pirat:

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I can only imagine what you could pull if you worked it til cleaned out. Bound to be some surprises along with plenty more hauls of high quarter counts.

Grats and....get back out there!

OP
OP
wlb42

wlb42

Dec 4, 2011
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I think it's safe to say that we all dream of finding multiple silvers in a hunt - (or a cache ) .
I think the most I've pulled was 2 or 3 silver coins in a single hunt - keep on livin the dream !
Hey, Argentium.......This day & age 2 or 3 silver in a single hunt is difficult & finding a large SILVER COIN cache is still a DREAM for many including myself. However when I started detecting in 1971......as I mentioned 90% of ALL Dollars, Halfs, Quarters & Dimes (in the ground) were SILVER with a few "clad" coins found on or near the top of the ground. And, Yes back then I dug many small "coin drops" of SILVER in one hole when Half Dollars were common and not unusual to dig a couple of them to include 1 or2 quarters, a few dimes etc. And yes I have even found more than one SILVER Morgan and/or Peace dollar on one hunt including Half Dollars, in one school yard with dimes & quarters. Not unusual back then in unhunted areas. I remember finding the ABOVE that I just mentioned in a School yard in Sandwich, Illinois in 1973 -- YES the "Good old days", my friend -- Days that I ONLY dream about now......but I do think there are STILL many undetected sites out there TODAY, but it takes good RESEARCH - So, YES "keep living the DREAM! GOOD LUCK & Happy Hunting to ALL. BILL

Last edited:

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like you had a ton of fun.