Morris County, NJ
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I needed to detect, so I drove to the beach! Found $0.0125 cents

Hi everyone. Where I live in NJ there is still about 20" of snow on the ground, and I've officially got cabin fever. I felt the need to hear my machine beep at something, so I drove about 90 minutes to the Jersey Shore yesterday for an afternoon low tide.
I'm not that familiar with beach detecting; sure I've detected warm beaches during summer vacations, but never in the winter. The temperature was about 28 degrees with a 15-20mph wind, so - cold. In preparation I'd watched others' videos of winter beach detecting (shout out to Metal Detecting NYC and Merril), so I knew that I needed to wear chest waders and multiple layers under them, and except for my detector-holding hand I was warm.

The beach was pretty empty, although one other detectorist zipped through the area while I was there (either I'm slow or he's fast....). I was there for a total of maybe 2.5 hours, and I'm very happy with the results.

Before going down yesterday I told a friend that I'd be happy finding a single penny. Well, I did a little better than that: I found one penny - the only coin of the day - plus about 25% of another one (thus the $0.0125 total in clad found, though I know the bank wouldn't accept that penny fragment).

The most interesting find was probably the copper lipstick tube. It doesn't have any markings, though, so I don't think I'll be able to determine an age. I'd guess from the construction that it's mid-20th century.
Mixed in the other metal junk there's also a piece of a lead toy car, which again was something with some age.

My favorite finds of the day, however, were the beach glass pieces. I haven't seen beach glass like this in years - maybe decades - because where I normally visit the beach (Delaware) there just doesn't seem to be any more. I asked a friend about this beach and he said this was unusual for this beach too. Mixed in there toward the top of the picture is a piece of the milk glass from a mason jar lid - that glass could be 100 years old. I didn't go out of my way to pick up beach glass; this was just what was in the area of where I was swinging the coil. I threw in some nice rounded rocks because I think I'm going to make a display out of that stuff.

Overall it was a great day because it satisfied my need to hear the detector beep, and that should hold me over until the snow melts.

MsyHgEL.jpg swes5uT.jpg
35c0X0j.jpg 7EMT2CX.jpg
cF0qLBH.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 27

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been in a slump detecting lately also, so I can relate. Good just to get out though.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hardcore to detect this cold, props.
I might work up the nerve to hit a beach or 2 once it warms up to around 30, but will go no where near the water ,, Well, actually right up to it.

badkharma

Mar 25, 2017
Central NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard of pieces of eight,,,But pieces of Lincoln??

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The beach is great therapy when there is no place else to hunt! :icon_thumright:

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You found what the beach had to offer..love the sea glass. I always look for rocks..shells...sea glass...I imagine while I'm looking down that a whale or some sea creature has passed by... :)

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on getting out, hunted the Jersey Shore many times,, boy do I miss my water hunting.
Congrats on getting out.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone. Where I live in NJ there is still about 20" of snow on the ground, and I've officially got cabin fever. I felt the need to hear my machine beep at something, so I drove about 90 minutes to the Jersey Shore yesterday for an afternoon low tide.

Congrats on getting a walk. But, next time you need to hear it and want to do something hobby oriented? Try getting a few different types\sizes of metal together and do some air testing at home to fine tune your skills. Different metals, sizes, distances, combos....etc. :tongue3:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread