A sidewalk to nowhere - except good coins!

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone. I've been hunting a local park that was part of an old (1900) school because the church I've written about recently isn't available, and this park doesn't require permission/advance notice. It's nice to just head out at 8AM on my own.

Exploring one area of the park I came across the sidewalk shown in the first picture below. In my head I called it "the sidewalk to nowhere" since it starts in a bush and ends in trees.
Looking at Historic Aerials the sidewalk makes a bit more sense; behind me in the picture there were some buildings in the 1950's, and this sidewalk must have led out of them toward the woods (which I'm not going into until the winter because of the ticks around here). The bush in the foreground of the picture is obviously a newer growth and wasn't there in the '50's.

Anyway, I found a lot of great targets around that 30-feet of sidewalk in just an hour-and-a-half of digging:

- 3 religious charms (St. Gerard, St. Christopher and a "Come Holy Ghost..." sterling charm - yes it says "STERLING" it's just the stamp is bad)
- Two silver Roosevelt dimes (both 1948 in a strand coincidence) and a 1945 P War Nickel. The cool part about that 1945-P is that at this site I've also found a 1945-D and 1945-S giving me a complete set from that year!.
- 3 Buffalo Nickels (no date, 1936 and a clear 1937)
- four wheaties and a regular nickel
- a "Tangee" lipstick case from the George W. Luft company (circa 1940's)
- a "Metal Masters Co." toy pickup truck bed (circa 1940's).

What a great hunt, and I only covered the southern (downhill) side of the sidewalk. Time to go back and hit the northern side!

- Brian

s2WshfQ.jpg

eAumhrB.jpg
rB6GtmX.jpg RNdOk5Y.jpg
Ikq1eGz.jpg
hci5MZS.jpg
P2fRMP4.jpg
klF4L6a.jpg

Upvote 13

Elvis

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Lafayette, Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Nokta Simplex+
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds!!! Congrats!!!

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like a great hunt!! Congrats on all those great silver finds!!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome finds- Congrats! I hope the north side is even more productive- Good luck!

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're on to something, keep hittin it...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread