Equinox 800 is a coin-shooting, park slaying machine!

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone. I love my XP Deus for most sites I visit here in Morris County, NJ, because most sites have a lot of history - and the iron that goes along with it.
But when I'm on a beach or - in today's case - at a relatively new park area, I love to use the Equinox 800 because it does such a nice job of separating coins from park/beach junk (pull tabs, bottle caps, foil, etc.).

My wife asked me to plan to pick up a cake in a nearby town this morning, so I woke up at 7AM and stopped by a park that is between my house and the bakery before the bakery opened. I had about an hour-and-a-half to hunt. Based on Historic Aerials research, the park used to have some old farm fields but for the most part it was - and still remains - woods. The area I detected today was a hilltop with a baseball diamond and picnic areas; those features initially appear in the 1950's.

I've detected the park before (http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/654976-productive-park-hunt-beautiful-tombac.html), and near the ball field I've found a few Roosevelt silver dimes. Today I focused on a different area, and I was fortunate to find another silver Roosevelt - 1964 (just made it into the silver timeframe).

Along the way I was just filling my pocket with coins I'd dig up. It wasn't until I got home that I realized how MANY coins I'd recovered in just 90 minutes.
But I was even more surprised that I only dug six (6) pieces of trash. I think that if I'd been using the Deus I think I would have dug more trash/questionable signals.

The obvious fact - in my opinion at least - is that for coin shooting the Equinox is incredibly good at being consistent: a quarter is in the low 30's; a dime the mid/high 20's. The silver dime jumped around the high 20's/low 30's but was a 34 once I dug the plug. I was seeing pennies (1970's-1990's typically) that were in the mid 20's, which surprised me a little (normally I'm used to them being 19-21 VDI). I started skipping low 20's because...well, there were just so many. (I guess that's why they call it cherry-picking).

Anyway, in conclusion: I love looking for really old stuff (coins, buckles, buttons, etc.) and I will continue using the Deus for that, but once it a while it's fun to come home with a pocket full of change - and the Equinox delivers.

- Brian

BLv4nf9.jpg
2OMCJbA.jpg

Upvote 13

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In my experience your ground balance could have been off a bit giving you higher vdi numbers. I've dug silver dimes as low as 23 vdi that were worn.

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lemme guess the boy scout slide was a screaming 25? Love my nox too need to get out soon. Nice saves.

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice haul! All the change added up can definitely help with a new purchase a few years down the road!

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad you're finding coins with your nox. I can't find a coin with mine to save my butt. Not because of the machine, but because these long gone farm sites I hunt have very few coins. I think they must have done a lot of bartering. Gary

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice hunt with the 800, and your write on the ability to separate over the Deus. Good to get a silver as well!.
Still thinking of unloading a boat anchor 3030 and buy one. (need to get it up and running 2021 goal)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread