Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For small roots up to 3/8", I will use a pruner, but for larger roots, I will use my Sampson blade. I will try to burrow under roots bigger then 1" especially if it is up against the tree.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Use a by-pass pruner not an anvil pruner. By-pass pruners have the curved blades. If you can find them, there are some by-pass pruners that have a ratchetting mechanism for the handles.

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chainsaw... We got big trees... Learn how to sharpen a chain before you try it... Clean off the dirt from the far side and don't pull the dirt thru the cut!(loggers trick)
Or try this: dig a big hole right next to the tree with an excavator, go to the opposite side and push the tree over with the bucket...next grasp the tree between the bucket and thumb, then picking the tree up and shaking all the dirt out of the rootball... Remove tree,recover the beer can you had a signal of... Level and replant the lawn!:laughing7:

cra61

Jul 9, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2+
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett "carrot" Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would the use of the excavator be chosen before or after the use of primer cord around the root? Just thinking....LOL

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
"Primer cord?!" lol. There IS another way. Use a "drywall" saw, some are cheap enough to buy at dollar stores. Better off buying a good quality (Chinese) one from home depot. There is a plus, they fit in you apron, pouch....nge

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Primer cord?!" lol. There IS another way. Use a "drywall" saw, some are cheap enough to buy at dollar stores. ....nge

I second this - way better than using the edge of a shovel or Lesche! Makes quick work of roots! Although the fellow with the sawsall has a great idea! :laughing7:

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best tool I've ever found on tree roots is a folding Army shovel. It has serrations on the side and it's built like a tank. Think I paid like 40 dollars for mine on ebay.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread