back in Indiana again
Detector(s) used
Multiple land, beach, underwater and specialty units

Moosebreath

Tenderfoot
Mar 11, 2005
Yoo-tah
I called the local BLM office this morning and was told by their "news person"
that BLM was unable to "deny OR confirm" the existance of the treasure.
I suppose that means they haven't decided whether or not to say anything.

However, locals claim that BLM has already negotiated a settlement with the
Taylor (the guy who found it). Since BLM thinks they own it, they feel they are
under no obligation to share info with the public.

At least the guy got a little something out of it.

Badger Bart

Mar 24, 2005
The locals can claim anything they want, but a previous statement by a BLM spokesman said they don't have the authority to make a settlement. If the statement by the finder that the boxes are marked "US Cavalry" is true, then the story is bogus, because the US Army never marked anything with that designation.

T

toiyabe tracy

I live to close to blow this one off...so after many hrs of research, I'm just gonna have to go over there in the early spring. My research indicates nothing was marked US Calvery, as Badger Bart stated, but some unknowing Mormon's taking there gold somewhere else may have marked them that way. I can justify anything :D he he
There is also a story of the Mormon's having a gold mine 150 miles southwest of SLC. Or one could check out the California Mining Journal's latest issue for a tip on gold in "them thar hills". Maybe, there aren't any gold bars out there, but if nothing else that area is a rock hounder's paradise.
I checked out the Millard County website and the West Desert seems fascinating. They even told a fairly unbiased version of the Gunnison Massacre near Delta. Further research suggests it may have been similar to the Mountain Meadow Massacre, at least Gunnison's wife thought so. B. Young wrote a letter to Lincoln concerning the incident, he even admitted the accused Indians escaped from jail! Captain Steptoe (my home valley's name sake) was the judge in the trial; he felt trial was a travesty of justice. He didn't agree with the Mormon jury's verdict. The locals were further incised when 100 of the local young women left with the soldiers to escape polygamy. What exciting history..I found it more fun than the daytime soaps. :o But, I'm a bored housewife.

Badger Bart

Mar 24, 2005
Toy.Tracy, can you give a logical reason for someone marking gold bars with "U.S. Cavalry"? I can't imagine the designation would have 'fooled' anyone back then. What purpose would it have served? I think the claimant needs to be interviewed again, and this particular point needs to be clarified. There were 3 basic divisions of the U.S. Army, Infantry, Artillary, and Cavalry, and they were designated by different symbols. for instance, the cavalry symbol includes two crossed sabers. Since you live nearby... perhaps you could attempt to interview him, the worst he can do is say no.

C

Capt. Buzzkill

I agree. Currency...even gold will only have, US markings.....Treasury, or even Army on smaller stuff. No way had it ever been made with a stamp from a particular division within a department...even then.

T

toiyabe tracy

I have read several interviews that took place on June 15th and he never mentioned they were marked with anything. That addition to the story seemed to show up when he was interviewed by the television news crew. Rocky Mountain Prospectors and Treasure Hunters printed a written story and interview in their newsletter and no mention of calvery. I read another interview when I was researching and that part wasn't in it either. I will have to go back and through my research and find out who he gave that one to and the date. I have a friend with a family member in Delta who works for the paper there and I've been bugging him to try to get more info from her. I have tried to reach him by phone, even at the store he was employed at to no avail. I called the chamber of commerce and she told me he has been laying really low and is refusing to talk to anyone about it, but he is still in the area. She told me to call the local restaurants for the latest gossip on it, but she said with no new info from anyone involved the buzz has pretty much died down. So?? You got me why the Calvery part of the story is in some interviews and not in any others?

When I'm able to get down in that area in the spring...Maybe I'll try to find him and see if he will talk. But in the mean time, I'm having fun looking at maps and reading up on the history of the area. I know everyone is skeptical but we enjoy rock hounding, prospecting, antler hunting and just exploring new country, so a trip down there for a week or two isn't a waste of time to us. I'm not trying to convince anyone in fact the more skeptics the less competition. hehe ;)

Badger Bart

Mar 24, 2005
Wow, you really are all over this one, good work! I'm betting you will find the cavalry part was added by the media for 'color', based on an assumption. Keep a good journal of your research, and let us know if you need help with it. Another perspective always helps.

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
I think alot has been said about the bars being marked US Calvalry. In everything I read, it never specifically stated the bars were marked. But, US Calvary certainly and most likely could have been marked on the boxes they were in. Just a thought!

Robert in SC

Z

ZumbroKid

Do not be too surprised if they make this area off limits for rock hounding in the future.

Badger Bart

Mar 24, 2005
Robert, I am curious as to what makes you say the boxes or anything could have been marked with US Cavalry. Have you ever seen that exact designation used officially?

ColoradoMike

Apr 4, 2004
Colorado
I wouldn't get to hung up on the bars or boxes marked USC to much. These little details that people get hung up on are usually in error at one point or another.
Anyway I know the area & know of the guy. It is a real story. It won't be there by spring in fact I believe it is already moved. If the guy is a flake like the BLM told me they believe why would the gov be watching him. Anyway he has already arranged for another group to move it & he is getting much better than a 1/3 now. LOL.
He plans to disappear in a year or two. Anyway the group he is with will set him up off shore & there will not be much of a trace.
I was wondering if it was KGC as there was a smaller KGC recovery in the area.
The area is rich in mineral mainly complex ore. The Spanish were all over there. There are 2 sites I know of where there are old smelter remains.
It's a neat area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions