What's new

$400.00 coin worth ?

Hunter1805

Sr. Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2005
Messages
309
Reaction score
677
Golden Thread
0
Location
NY
Detector(s) used
E Track, Fisher 6a
I am blessed with finding 3 1870 Indian head cents at an old RR camp. This one is the best of the three. If this coin was not dug it would easily be a $400.00 coin. Now the value is ? Any ideas on removing the green color on the coin. I posted this coin for the coin collectors. Enjoy the day .. Jim
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0017.webp
    IMG_0017.webp
    45.2 KB · Views: 1,768
Upvote 0
TNKS, REAL NICE SHAPE, GREAT FIND
 
I'd leave it as is myself. Green is nice and even. Looks great that way. Value depends on who wants it. Very nice shape.
 
Beautiful coin! Make that three votes for Don't clean it. Removing that nice, even patina would definitely be a mistake. Although as-is its net grade would be lower than the detail grade due to "environmental damage," it could lose just as many points for cleaning. Also, some of the tiny bumps or granularity would very likely remain as light pitting or porosity once the oxidation was removed. In fact, on really old coppers sometimes fine details vanish forever when the patina is taken down to bare metal. Remember, good intentions don't always lead to good results, and you can never put back what you take away.
 
Several weeks ago there was a full page ad in my newspaper wanting to buy coins. It specifically stated that they did not want dug coins if they had been cleaned! Don't clean it! Monty
 
Leave the coin as is! That green patina is awesome! Beautiful coin and congrats!

Rich
 
Don't clean it!! I cleaned a few old coppers a couple of months ago and ruined them. I've learned my lesson!
 
Very nice coin. I agree with everyone else. Do not clean it just leave it as is.

BPhillips
 
Really nice IH you have there!! Great condition too! I'm going to say, don't clean it. The reasons I'm saying that, is it looks really cool being that kind of shiny green color...but mainly because everyone else is saying don't clean it. I wouldn't want to stand out, you know? ;D ;)
 
I have cleaned a couple old wheaties, not worth much, but tried a few things mostly for experimentation. The green you see goes pretty deep, to get it off, you will probably lose most of the details on the coin, unfortunately.

Add my vote for no cleaning with the others, gee am I seeing a trend here? LOL!
 
Leave it...looks really cool!! :)
 
Green's better than nothin',wouldn't clean it either....great find'sHH
 
Great coin. Don't clean it.

If you sell it please let us know (about) how much you get for it.

I like the green look.
 
An 1870 IH Cent in MS-60 might be worth around $375 - $415. It's hard to tell from the pic but I think I detect wear on the high points of the hair and ribbon so I would guess the coin was a low AU or high XF when it was dropped. The dings and porosity would likely bring the overall grade down to XF (if not a bit lower). In XF the coin should be worth somewhere around $275/$305.

Awesome find!
 
What a beautiful coin! Please do not clean.When I first started detecting,I found a IH with full liberty and green patina.I cleaned it with some type cleaning solution.You could not see the liberty after cleaning.It was ruined.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom