What's new

Elgin... tons of clad, a token, and a few other interesting finds...

Gimmie The Loot

Bronze Member
Joined
May 11, 2010
Messages
1,246
Reaction score
45
Golden Thread
0
Location
Driftwood, TX
Detector(s) used
etrac, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all - WTF is with the mosquitos in Elgin?!!! Jeeze!
Hit a little park in Elgin and probably made a record with pennies. In total, about 6 bucks in clad. Enough to pay for my train ticket out there and back! I also found a MASSIVE bullet! Has anyone seen anything like this? A slug with a U on the bottom? Any idea how old or what kind this it? Also found the lead part of a bullet, some chunk of metal that looks gold and says 1885, and a "City of Elgin Transportation" token. Any idea when they used those tokens??? To cap it off, I walked back to Al's Cafe to have a beer and itch my mosquito bites and they had a fun horn band playing. I love Elgin.

Enjoy the pics! HH everyone!
 

Attachments

  • 08072010.webp
    08072010.webp
    61 KB · Views: 195
  • 08072010-3.webp
    08072010-3.webp
    27.6 KB · Views: 192
  • 08072010-4.webp
    08072010-4.webp
    14.3 KB · Views: 199
  • 08072010-5.webp
    08072010-5.webp
    31.6 KB · Views: 188
  • 08072010-6.webp
    08072010-6.webp
    33.1 KB · Views: 190
  • 08072010-2.webp
    08072010-2.webp
    32.8 KB · Views: 206
  • 08072010-1.webp
    08072010-1.webp
    37.7 KB · Views: 210
  • 08072010-7.webp
    08072010-7.webp
    106.5 KB · Views: 193
Hey Jason, nice haul! I know the Elgin City bus lines ceased when the CTA became the RTA and talked someone into grabbing the loot from us folks in the sticks as well as the city. So it's somewhere before 1974 or there abouts for that old bus token. I was remarking to Mayo that I hadn't found one of those in streetwork for the last couple years just Saturday.

Sorry we didn't connect Saturday, one of the flaws of my night shift life style is my almost daily early retreat from hunting.

Did you get to the park in front of the boat? I haven't hunted it since it was created back in '94 but I've seen a few others md'ing there. A lot of festivals and gatherings happen there.

Yep, been feeding the skeeters this summer way too much. Today they were schooling us on the merits of various repellant cocktails. Waiting for OFF or Cutters to come out with contact lenses.
 
Wow lots of cents GTL. That piece stamped 1885 looks interesting.
 
Cool finds!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Three Floyd's beer, too! Been there - an unexpected gem right smack in an industrial park. :icon_thumleft:
 
Hey Jason, have you posted that old rimfire round on the whatsit page? There's a lot of folk hereabout who are knowledgeable on old firearms and ammo. It looks like a real keeper!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom