newbieprospector
Full Member
- Joined
- Jun 22, 2006
- Messages
- 152
- Reaction score
- 30
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Williamsburg, VA
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
- #1
Thread Owner
After an afternoon of cleaning up a beach (of course this particular beach was occupied by the Spanish around the 1500's) with my metaldetector, my take during the afternoon was a huge bag of garbage and 36 cents
! However, on my way home I decided that I would check out some cave drawings that I had heard about, not expecting to see any thing other than a nice historical spot. When I arrived there happened to be a class there from a local college so I got to hear a little more about the drawings than expected. For one thing, the professor there said that due to the materials used to create the drawings, they could not be dated. He also mentioned that many of the drawings were just random and had nothing to do with the story that evolved regarding the drawings. While looking at the drawings though, it appeared to me as you can see in the picture labled "fav view with lines", that it looks like the cove where I had just been metal detecting! The red line would be the cove where the Spanish resupplied their galleons (hence the drawing that looks like a Spanish shield in the center). And the blue line is a river flowing from the mountains down to the cove (next to this is a squiggly line with two dots). So... I am hoping to get the opinion of others on this and any other insight any of you might be able to provide. Thanks!
! However, on my way home I decided that I would check out some cave drawings that I had heard about, not expecting to see any thing other than a nice historical spot. When I arrived there happened to be a class there from a local college so I got to hear a little more about the drawings than expected. For one thing, the professor there said that due to the materials used to create the drawings, they could not be dated. He also mentioned that many of the drawings were just random and had nothing to do with the story that evolved regarding the drawings. While looking at the drawings though, it appeared to me as you can see in the picture labled "fav view with lines", that it looks like the cove where I had just been metal detecting! The red line would be the cove where the Spanish resupplied their galleons (hence the drawing that looks like a Spanish shield in the center). And the blue line is a river flowing from the mountains down to the cove (next to this is a squiggly line with two dots). So... I am hoping to get the opinion of others on this and any other insight any of you might be able to provide. Thanks!
Anyway, the story goes that a Chief of one of the villages heard that there was another Village Chief claiming to be the strongest on the island. So this Chief went to visit the other Chief and thought he would impress him so he grabbed a nearby coconut tree and shook all the coconuts out of the tree. The villagers and other Chief were not impressed; the other Chief picked up one of the coconuts and squeezed all the fruit and milk out of the coconut. Seeing this the Chief decided it was time to go home and jumped in his canoe, the other Chief decided to help him so jumped in the canoe also. One Chief wanted to go north around the island and the other south...both of them started paddling and split the canoe in half and headed in opposite directions.







