What's new

What kind of bottle..?

cryptic

Full Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2009
Messages
174
Reaction score
148
Golden Thread
1
🥇 Banner finds
1
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I sent an email to one of the pro bottle guys and hope to get a responce. I don't know much about it. Here is my expert evaluation..

-It's Blue
-8 3/4 inches high (approximate)
-I think it is BIM. The side seams run up the bottle and stop or fade away at the neck.
-The top or lip of the bottle seems to have been applied afterwards as a different piece.
- It has an almost very smooth base with a circular upward indentation. No manufacturer marks.
-It appears to have another seam running horizontally 1/3rd down from the top of the bottle.

Maybe it is not even a bottle, but it is #1 in my book. :)
 

Attachments

  • DSC01053.webp
    DSC01053.webp
    11.8 KB · Views: 431
  • DSC01058.webp
    DSC01058.webp
    14.3 KB · Views: 403
  • DSC01057.webp
    DSC01057.webp
    11.4 KB · Views: 409
  • DSC01060.webp
    DSC01060.webp
    20.1 KB · Views: 416
  • DSC01061.webp
    DSC01061.webp
    14.4 KB · Views: 410
  • DSC01062.webp
    DSC01062.webp
    29.4 KB · Views: 415
  • DSC01063.webp
    DSC01063.webp
    18.9 KB · Views: 410
  • DSC01064.webp
    DSC01064.webp
    20.7 KB · Views: 410
  • DSC01065.webp
    DSC01065.webp
    23.4 KB · Views: 409
It is a vessel manufactured in the 20th century to resemble the style of 19th century Midwestern (Ohio, typically) glass.

The piece has little or no collector interest. It's a pretty window decoration, so enjoy it for what it is.
 
I'd have to agree. There are lines through and around the lip As far as I know that shows it was made by a machine. It's a cool looking bottle though.
 
Thanks! Here is something I'm not sure about. I am still trying to learn about bottles and one thing I read is "Check to see if seams go all the way from the base to the lip. If the seam disappears in the neck, then the bottle was probably "blown-in-mold," and dates circa 1800s to 1915."

Are there any exceptions to this rule?
 
cryptic said:
Thanks! Here is something I'm not sure about. I am still trying to learn about bottles and one thing I read is "Check to see if seams go all the way from the base to the lip. If the seam disappears in the neck, then the bottle was probably "blown-in-mold," and dates circa 1800s to 1915."

Are there any exceptions to this rule?
That is a bit of shorthand that can be mis-leading. The real distinction you want to make is between "hand-finished" bottles and "machine-made" bottles. Prior to about 1903, bottles were hand-finished -- that is, the lip was tooled by hand to "finish" the bottle. No mold marks (seams) appear on the lip of a hand-finished bottle.

Between 1903 and say 1918, automatic bottle machines took over the industry. By the time of Prohibition, all utility bottles were being made by machine. The machine formed the entire bottle and left mold marks on the lip.

In this case, the significant difference between a hand-finished bottle and machine-made bottle is the mold marks (seams) on the lip. The lip of your flask has 'em, therefore it is a machine-made bottle produced in the 20th century.
 
Cryptic ~

I just now scrolled to this thread and thought I would share the following link with you in the hope it helps further your ongoing bottle education. It's quite extensive and should help shine a light on a variety of aspects. I hope you enjoy it.

SODABOB

http://www.sha.org/bottle/index.htm
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom