Here Begins a wonderful story!

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm listing some stuff tonight and I get an email from somebody who bought a bracelet from me supposedly back in May 2013. So here is what they said. I purchased a wavy style bangle bracelet from you on 5/21/13. I recently dented by accident and took it to my jeweler to fix it he tested it and it's not real gold! You listed this bracelet as 14 K gold and I paid $165.

So I have no idea where this is going to go I don't even know what she's talking about. It's almost a year ago! I just asked her to send me a picture of it because I have no idea what she's talking about.

billn1956

Jan 2, 2010
If you sold this .It will end up being up to you as to what to do, her time is way up on filling a claim.If you do not think you sold this to her becareful how you handle it.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did the right thing by asking for a picture, plus see if they can come up with an item number. If you did sell it? I'd ask, could you please give me the name, address and phone number of the jeweler who is giving them the info on the bracelet. I'm thinking the person either forgot the seller they got the bracelet from or they think you may be a sucker to believe their story and will try and pass a bogus bracelet on you? It got dented, plus, they feel it important for you to know "It was an accident". Sounds like the kind of thing my kids would say when they try and hide some of the truth. It was always a "accident" Never would they say "I screwed up and it was totally my fault" I know that means nothing to your situation, but that "accident" thing about it make me wonder why they added the extra details to the story. They didn't just say, the bracelet you sold me was tested by a jeweler and he says its not 14K gold. That's all you need to be told. If it turns out you did sell a non gold item and listed as gold, you'd be best to give a refund after you get it in your hands.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I told her to send it back. I'll test it again and have it Electronically tested as well. And if its gold, it's going back. Or at scrap price. If not then I'll refund it... Pain in the rear, wait a yr to ask for your money back. If it was a coffee maker, I'd tell her to go to goodwill!

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Wow. I don't think telling her to send it back is the right thing to do. Too many variables. Unless you saved the listing how do you even know if she bought it from you or someone else? What if she found a fake that looks like the one she bought & is running a scam? I don't have any problem with making things right for a customer but the amount of time that has passed changes things.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. I don't think telling her to send it back is the right thing to do. Too many variables. Unless you saved the listing how do you even know if she bought it from you or someone else? What if she found a fake that looks like the one she bought & is running a scam? I don't have any problem with making things right for a customer but the amount of time that has passed changes things.

This is what I was thinking too. You should also have at least been able to check either her or your own feedback to see if she had actually bought it from you.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She did. It's on her feedback, says wonderful bracelet fast shipping! I think if it was anything besides a piece of gold jewelry I would've told her to bad. I really don't even like the idea of doing it now but I'm pretty sure it's not fake. If it's not I'm just going to send it back to her or tell her because its damaged I can give her 80% of spot back. Well see.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree, she has had it for 10 months - you are crazy for taking it back!

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What should I tell her?

To go pound sand! (in a more diplomatic way of course) She clearly gave this piece of jewelry alot of use and wear - she admitted to damaging it - in the nearly 1 YEAR of ownership.....that clock ran out long ago. Plus, as trdhrdr said, there are way too many variables here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To go pound sand! (in a more diplomatic way of course) She clearly gave this piece of jewelry alot of use and wear - she admitted to damaging it - in the nearly 1 YEAR of ownership.....that clock ran out long ago. Plus, as trdhrdr said, there are way too many variables here.

Oh if it's gold I'm sending that thing back to her. I'm not going to take back a broken bracelet. I probably should have told her that.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, now that you are getting it back, that does put the ball in your hands. I had a guy who bought some hollow sterling handle knives. When he got them he sent me a note saying he is pretty much an expert and can tell by the texture with the touch of his hand they were not sterling. They were very old and had English hallmarks. I didn't even test them as I knew they were sterling. I got them back and ran down to the scrap guy I deal allot with. He took one look and said I don't even need to test these, I can tell their old English sterling at first glance. I said lets file a spot and test one. He did and bingo, they were sterling. I sent a note back to that buyer that wasn't so very nice and gave that jerk who in his first note bragged about all the silver he buys and his expertise in silver. I told him he wasted my time and to never bid on my stuff again. I contacted the next to high bidder and he was delighted to get the offer and was very pleased with the purchase.

The reason I said to get the jewelers contact info is because they're the one saying the item isn't gold. for all you know there is no jeweler and if that buyer couldn't come up with a listed name of a jeweler for you to talk with, that may have been the last thing you ever herd anything on this issue. For me I would have wanted to talk to the person who said I'm selling fake stuff. It's them you have the problem with.

Last edited:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
No way in a 1000 years I would even respond to something like this.

People are unbelievable. Who would try to return something (for any reason) a year after you bought it?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread