New Way To Sell...Not eBay

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I might have figured out a way for us to have a platform to sell our stuff at reduced fees and without dealing with eBay policies. I think we would substantial traffic to our items and may even get more for them.

If I was able to set us up with a place to sell our finds with 6-7% fees, would you guy/gals be interested? Or how about 5% fees but $20 a month cost?

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Is this a new platform your going to build?

JustinNH

Apr 10, 2012
NH
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm no expert, but it seems like these other sites never really get off the ground due to lack of traffic and branding, with a few exceptions. How would you propose to get MORE traffic than eBay? Granted, if only half the traffic but only US (or rather non-Asia) sellers, there may be room for it to work with less junk.

Something tells me if it were that easy, this forum would be called something other than All Things eBay.

However, I'd love to be proven wrong and have another place to sell. :)

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm all in favor of more competition in the marketplace. However, I would be reluctant to sign up for a $20 per month obligation to a brand new selling platform. Probably the best thing eBay has going for it is the HUGE number of buyers there. That didn't happen overnight. It will take time for any new site to attract a large group of buyers and sellers. I wouldn't want to be paying $20 per month unless I knew there were plenty of buyers to sell to. I could wind up spending a whole lot of money and not sell a thing.

Now, if all I was obligated to was to give the selling platform a percentage of the sale (and if that percentage was significantly less than what eBay charges), I would probably give it whirl.

OP
OP
mkulltra

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a new platform. Already has buyers and traffic. I believe I pay around 9% for eBay. What I'm thinking about would cost 5% with a $20 fee or a staight 6-7% of sales. You can choose which one you prefer. You really don't have anything to lose if you do straight percentage.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Not a new platform. Already has buyers and traffic. I believe I pay around 9% for eBay. What I'm thinking about would cost 5% with a $20 fee or a staight 6-7% of sales. You can choose which one you prefer. You really don't have anything to lose if you do straight percentage.
6 or 7%? Unless it has built in safeguards and comparable traffic to eBay as well as shipping discounts. It doesn't seem like it would be worthwhile to me...

OP
OP
mkulltra

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
6 or 7% depending on the number of people that are interested. If I could get a group of 5-10 sellers that are interested in giving it a try, then I would move forward and release more info to those involved. I understand everyone won't be interested until it's proven successful but when it is everyone will want to be involved.

So for anyone with a entrepreneurial spirit that is willing to try something new, let me know if you want to learn more. You really don't have much to lose. Worst case scenerio is we are all out $20 and nothing sells. But if you are tired of ebay's bs and are willing to try to make a little more for your items, then let's give it a go.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How did you come up with this 6-7% fee?

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You say we would be out only 20$ ? Who is we and are you getting the money? If not who is getting the fees?

OP
OP
mkulltra

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fees are the cost to sell on the platform. It's all dependent on the number of sellers participating. With 10 sellers the fees could be 5% and $10. If there were many sellers involved it could be as low as 3%. This isn't some type of scam or something to make money for myself. This is something I may try myself and see how it goes.I just wanted to see if any one else would be interested to reduce the cost for all of us.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok... still did not answer who has this platform and who gets the money ? Where do the fees go? Who would we pay? Thanks...

billn1956

Jan 2, 2010
Who really cares whos pocket the money goes into if YOU make more off your sales? Yes I would be willing.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
This entire thread is just going in circles...

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Geez, just tell everyone what you have in mind. Do we have to join some cabal to find out?

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I would hafta figure that the op is in on a cut to get all of us to sign up. Which, no crime in someone making a buck.....
One should be able to say, hey I got a great idea/deal, and I'll make a little off all ya'll, and we gonna all make money.
Secretiveness tends to make ppl not want to be involved, imho. Plus, with a little diligent searching, whatever venue the op is speaking of, could probably be found. Tell us what ya got. I'm here local, more than happy to assist one in their good endevours.

If ya'll'a all sign up on etsy under me, I get a whole free listing! :o OMG! :laughing7:
I'd rather just ask ya'll for .20 cents, than hafta jump through, "promoting for someone else", hoops. :laughing7:
Twenty cents ain't making or breaking no one, but can we multiply that times 3 million users? :icon_scratch:

I'm always interested in selling venues, but I don't need it to be a :BangHead:. :laughing7:

silversurfer1111

Jul 14, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
GARRET AT PRO ..Whites Classic SL. . modified 9 Function Metal Detector from Harbor Freight tools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just going to be very blunt.no one is going to want to pay 20 and have a percentage of their sale taken no one is going to want to pay 10 and have a percentage taken.we would all be out 20 dollars you said no big deal..I lol at you.... big deal. 20 is a very big deal to people.why don't you think the big companies charge 10 or 20. Because their company would never get off the ground it would never work you need to go back to the drawing board..it smells like fish and chips in here...

OP
OP
mkulltra

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I posed was a simple question, "Would you be interested in trying a new platform at at a cost lower than ebay." A simple yes or no would have sufficed but except for bill, all I received back was convoluted replies.

So I will try this one more time, would you be interested in WORKING TOGETHER to try a new platform that has LESS FEES than ebay and has the potential to MAKE MORE MONEY for your items?

Please try to keep responses to a yes or no. Thank you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread