cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had some wheatie cents and stamps listed. one coin and one stamp in a sealed plastic case with info card. This guy bids opening bid of 99¢ on four and wins all four. so I combine all into one invoice and without him even asking I lower my shipping charge from $11 to $8 and send him a bill for $12.00

later that day I get an email from him thinking I should send all 4 for only one shipping charge. I respond that with the cost of the items and the postage and all the fees I wanted to at least break even on the deal.

He responds with "no harm, no foul" he is going to back out on the auction.

WHAT? I shot photos, I researched, I wrote an ad, I listed, I sold, I sent an invoice and was willing to break even and he says no harm, no foul? Does he know he is now going to get a no pay ding? I looked at his feedback (in the 200's) he has never sold a single item. and of course ebay will keep me from leaving neg feedback.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I had some wheatie cents and stamps listed. one coin and one stamp in a sealed plastic case with info card. This guy bids opening bid of 99¢ on four and wins all four. so I combine all into one invoice and without him even asking I lower my shipping charge from $11 to $8 and send him a bill for $12.00

later that day I get an email from him thinking I should send all 4 for only one shipping charge. I respond that with the cost of the items and the postage and all the fees I wanted to at least break even on the deal.

WHAT? I shot photos, I researched, I wrote an ad, I listed, I sold, I sent an invoice and was willing to break even and he says no harm, no foul? Does he know he is now going to get a no pay ding? I looked at his feedback (in the 200's) he has never sold a single item. and of course ebay will keep me from leaving neg feedback.
I had sold two video games to one woman. She didn't pay so I invoiced her and she only wants to pay shipping on one game. So I messaged her and said in that case I'll cancel the sale. She replied and said she would pay both charges. It sucks to get a buyer like that. I would definitely block that buyer from any future bids on your items. Good luck with relisting.

sent from a potato...

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something like this is why its best to list your item for what you need for it as starting bid and offer free shipping. You shouldn't be trying to make your profit or break even by the extra left over from shipping charges.

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
I've NEVER bought separate items from the same seller and ASSUMED I could get cheaper shipping. If it is not listed in the auction, then its not offered and I expect to pay for each auction item and shipping as the contract states. As far as making profit from the leftover shipping charges, its only a small amount and it usually balances out with the extra I pay for shipping on some items. And I rarely offer free shipping. Rarely. But it is in the selling price, of course, if I do. The bidders were losers to expect discounts AFTER the purchase.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
although I understand the Breaking even Thoughts & figure most sellers
use Shipping charges as a way of surviving 99 cent bids on $5 items :unhappysmiley:

But Honestly IF I bought 2 Items from one person & they weren't willing to
put both in one package & ship at a better price, I'd be upset also.

I see Cyberdan did lower his shipping , so this is not an indictment on his post,
Just a comment on the conversation

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
If a buyer wants combined shipping and it's not offered, they should message seller first. Not expect to change the terms of the sale after the items sell...

sent from a potato...

Butter Hat

Apr 6, 2014
In ur innerwebz
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

These days 'profit' is considered a dirty word. People don't think it through.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
These days 'profit' is considered a dirty word. People don't think it through.
Yup, in our messed up world profit is made out to be a bad thing.

sent from a potato...

Ozarkshunter

Tenderfoot
Aug 19, 2014
Southwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
white's mxt pro and fisher cz-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand your need to make money on such a small small priced item, but in my opinion it makes sense to combine shipping. Sellers should not make a profit from shipping. Period. Price your item correctly. If you don't like the idea, you could ship the coins separately like the auction is being billed for.

Fushek

Aug 21, 2013
North East Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
So ... you're charging $8 for something that will cost you around $3 to ship First Class? Must admit, I'd be put off as a buyer. Don't know if I'd leave a negative over it as it was my fault for assuming combined shipping, but I certainly wouldn't leave 5 stars for shipping costs ...

Long story short, I'd pay as per the contract, but not be happy about it regardless of my incorrect assumption.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So ... you're charging $8 for something that will cost you around $3 to ship First Class? Must admit, I'd be put off as a buyer. Don't know if I'd leave a negative over it as it was my fault for assuming combined shipping, but I certainly wouldn't leave 5 stars for shipping costs ...

Long story short, I'd pay as per the contract, but not be happy about it regardless of my incorrect assumption.

I do also believe the shipping charges seem a bit outrageous, But....

If you need to add Insurance, tracking , and possibly a signature.

add to that the cost of the Mailer in some cases and Gas to go ship it considering your
choice of shipping location.

& if your like me Wear and tear on your nerves :tongue3: (the reason I don't like to sell online,
& through the mail) I believe I can understand why people do it.

fact is I have sold a few items online so cheap that Till I added insurance & tracking
& travel to buy a Mailer & ship it out, I all but gave the items away :(

However when I'm the one Footing the bill, it is a different story
all S&H is too much :laughing7:

Last edited:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm gonna tick off a bunch of people but...

As a frequent ebay BUYER myself, I expect combined shipping when purchasing multiple items. It is only right.

Typically, on light weight items, I am willing to pay shipping on the most expensive item plus $1 per item thereafter. Bulky items is a whole different story.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would expect the shipping to be combined also. That being said, I would never assume it will be unless otherwisw stated. I always ask before bidding. This avoids the situations like the one we have here.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
OK, another side of this. I have sold a few items I under charged for shipping... my mistake. I ate the loss. I didn't ask the buyer for more money. In other words I didn't try to change the terms of the sale. This can go both ways...

sent from a potato...

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE 9-14-14
Two days ago I started the unpaid auction process. I was not going to eat the fees ebay had already added to my account. Four separate auctions = 4 non paying auction strikes. Last night he paid in full. They are now wrapped and ready to take to the PO tomorrow. (I threw in two extra sets that he didn't bid on)

I always try to make a little something on every shipment. Staples does not give me free cartons and tape. Union 76 does not give me free gas. My mechanic does not fix my car for free. ebay does not give me free fee exemption. git the gist of my message? I have lost track of the times that the P.O. charged me more than my total S&H charge and I know I put accurate shipping weights in the the auction. I think in the end it evens out.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
UPDATE 9-14-14
Two days ago I started the unpaid auction process. I was not going to eat the fees ebay had already added to my account. Four separate auctions = 4 non paying auction strikes. Last night he paid in full. They are now wrapped and ready to take to the PO tomorrow. (I threw in two extra sets that he didn't bid on)

I always try to make a little something on every shipment. Staples does not give me free cartons and tape. Union 76 does not give me free gas. My mechanic does not fix my car for free. ebay does not give me free fee exemption. git the gist of my message? I have lost track of the times that the P.O. charged me more than my total S&H charge and I know I put accurate shipping weights in the the auction. I think in the end it evens out.

Dan, I understand your point but please consider this: That should not be your customers' problem. There is a cost to doing business and I think that is something every person doing business should be acutely aware of.

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I understand your need to make money on such a small small priced item, but in my opinion it makes sense to combine shipping. Sellers should not make a profit from shipping. Period. Price your item correctly. If you don't like the idea, you could ship the coins separately like the auction is being billed for.
I think this hits the nail on the head.

I know you discounted your shipping fees so this doesn't exactly apply, but if the seller is charging full shipping on each item I think the customer would be within his rights to ask you to send them individually.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan, I understand your point but please consider this: That should not be your customers' problem. There is a cost to doing business and I think that is something every person doing business should be acutely aware of.

yes there is a cost to doing business but this is an auction. not a fixed price listing. if it was fixed price I would have priced shipping differently. the cost of doing business should be buried in the price of the product but if you have an auction starting at 99¢ that is hard to do. When I buy anything i look at total cost not just what the sell price is.

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You know eBay takes a percentages of your shipping charge and you have to pack it. And buy shipping supplies. Even if you charge more than what the post office charges you are probably still losing money.

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sell a lot of china myself. Usually I list it separately because its diffucult to pack 2 plates and 4 mugs in one box. It takes twice the materials. If you buy several things and insist it goes in one box I will charge you the actual shipping cost. Many buyers get upset because a bigger box and more weight adds up very quickly. They think I am trying to rip them when I am taking the loss packing materials and the eBay fees. Just charging them what the Post Office charges me.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread