Paypal working capital loan

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure if any of you have seen this or taken advantage of it, but I wanted to tell you about my ecperience. I saw the offer on my Paypal screen, filled out the online paperwork, selected how I would pay it back, and instantly had $1500 in my Paypal account. I now have to pay back $1601 ($101 fee) and they take that off each paypal transaction - 85% to me, 15% to them until the money is paid back in full (they estimate about 4 months). You can choose to pay back as little at 10% at a time to as much at 30%. Whole process literally took me 5 minutes. The money will come in handy stocking up for the holiday rush!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dave ramsey would say that is stupid

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Are you talking about Kabbage? I see their ads on eBay. I have never seen a loan offer on eBay.

TSCOM

Oct 13, 2014
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dave ramsey would say that is stupid

Yes he would and he's annoyingly self righteous. Making a deal like this won't make anyone poor. Repeatedly doing this will.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No not poor, but paying any interest ( or fees) is giving your money away

OP
OP
Joe777Cool

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No not poor, but paying any interest ( or fees) is giving your money away

Easy to say when you got a pocket full of cash.....gotta have money to make money.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
that's true, but if it's not your money you only make money for the one you borrowed from

OP
OP
Joe777Cool

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's true, but if it's not your money you only make money for the one you borrowed from

Simple math. I borrow $1500. I buy/sell/net $3000. I pay back $1601. $3000-$1601 = $1399 in my pocket. I'm not going to let $101 get in the way of $1399.

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Simple math. I borrow $1500. I buy/sell/net $3000. I pay back $1601. $3000-$1601 = $1399 in my pocket. I'm not going to let $101 get in the way of $1399.

Awesome Joe! Go for it

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
and the $ 101 is for how long?

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hmmm you borrow 1500 and don't pay it back untill you sell 10,674??

nah that doesn't sound to good to be true

OP
OP
Joe777Cool

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hmmm you borrow 1500 and don't pay it back untill you sell 10,674??

nah that doesn't sound to good to be true

I think you need to look up "merchant cash advance" before you comment further....

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure if any of you have seen this or taken advantage of it, but I wanted to tell you about my ecperience. I saw the offer on my Paypal screen, filled out the online paperwork, selected how I would pay it back, and instantly had $1500 in my Paypal account. I now have to pay back $1601 ($101 fee) and they take that off each paypal transaction - 85% to me, 15% to them until the money is paid back in full (they estimate about 4 months). You can choose to pay back as little at 10% at a time to as much at 30%. Whole process literally took me 5 minutes. The money will come in handy stocking up for the holiday rush!
No thanks. I prefer to use my own money. I guess if your really strapped for cash it would be okay, just not for me.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
My two cents, if anyone cares:

I keep meeting ebay sellers that are using credit to buy their stuff for resale.

Just last week, there was a guy playing "auction king" at an estate auction that I attended. The guy was buying like crazy, and paying high amounts for the items he was buying.

I struck up a conversation later with him, and he carried on about how much he was making on ebay. Later in the day, he admitted he had run up his CC bill to $8,000 for ebay purchases. "I gotta start working that down" he said.

Even later in the day, when we were chatting about some of his buys, he got nervous and said "I don't know much about this stuff. I usually buy a lot and see what sticks."

It is simply crazy to me. He spent, on one occasion, $300 on three items, and I doubt that he even clears a real profit, that is if he can get $300 back ($360 after BP, CC surcharge, and sales tax.)

The bottom line:

Many people cannot manage credit.
He is giving up 19% in interest on that CC.
You make better buying decisions when you use your own cash to fund your purchases.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am blown away that someone would spend $8000 on a CC to buy ebay inventory. That is a person with something like a gambling problem, IMHO.

I have learned through bitter experience that you have to look at CASH FLOW rather than profit. To each his own, but if my buying and selling on ebay did not generate enough cash to buy new stuff and put money in my pocket, I'd do something else.

Buying on credit adds a layer of pressure, too. If a substantial number of sellers on ebay are running on credit with pressure to sell at any price, it will hurt prices and in turn hurt sellers.

NOT a good development in the ebay market, IMHO. But I am not a fan of credit in general.

OP
OP
Joe777Cool

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are people in this word that cant handle credit and there are people in this word that can. We have seen people on this very website that struggle with it. The intent of this post was to share my experience with Paypal's new loan offer, something that I thought some on here may find useful. If you don't think it will be useful for you, thats fine, but a businessperson taking a small loan right before the holiday rush to improve cashflow is very normal and not something that should be looked down upon.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
No one is dogging on you. It is an interesting subject.

To each their own, and all of that, I was just sharing my perspective. I have never borrowed a dime in this business, even after working it for 10+ years.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sorry if my comments sounded like I was looking down on anyone. There is such a thing as working capital and lines of credit and it is no different than any small business.

I was really reacting to the idea of running up thousands in debt on a credit card. I worked for a company that had to compete with another company who had really low prices because they were running fast and loose on other people's money, and a lot of my friends lost their jobs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread