Taping over label barcode?

Punatic

Feb 25, 2014
norcal
Primary Interest:
Other
I used to use paper to print labels and tape over when sending but upgraded to the sticker labels and can't imagine ever going back.

Not really the answer to your questions but maybe relevant?

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I was wondering how the sticker labels worked for people too. :thumbsup:

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The glossy packing tape can cause a reflection when they are trying to scan the package. We tape everything but over the bar code

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We tape over the bar code and don't have any problems except for when the tape is wrinkled.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to tape over everything but the barcode. Then I bought a Brother LX-570 at a yard sale with several cartridges with it for dirt cheap. It adds adhesive to the back of what ever you feed through it. Then I just broke down and bought a Zebra LP 2844 printer to print out my labels. If you sell even just a few items a week, you will find a thermal printer well worth the cost.

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We tape over the bar code and don't have any problems except for when the tape is wrinkled.

Yeah, that is what I have found out. If I didn't tape over the bar code, then I am sure it would get ripped off. Even when the tape was wrinkled though, I've never had a problem with tracking, just when they scan it in at the post office.

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ink in our printer runs when it gets wet. I had labels that I didn't tape over the bar code get wet on the way to the post office and the bar code was not readable. Taped over them ever since with no problem.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I've always taped over the entire shipping label with zero wrinkles and never had a problem.

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you guys' post office get mad when you do, even when it scans? Mine does sometimes. :laughing7:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I don't tape the barcode, just all sides around it and I make sure I cover the addresses wrinkle free. Seems like everything I buy on eBay comes taped over barcode though. I think as long as it's wrinkle free your good to go.

Sent from a spun out toilet paper tube (one ply)!

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow! I've been doing it wrong in trying to avoid taping over the label. And a thermal printer? I guess I will be researching those prices! Good info TNET people! Love this place.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I used to tape over everything but the barcode. Then I bought a Brother LX-570 at a yard sale with several cartridges with it for dirt cheap. It adds adhesive to the back of what ever you feed through it. Then I just broke down and bought a Zebra LP 2844 printer to print out my labels. If you sell even just a few items a week, you will find a thermal printer well worth the cost.

GibH, is it easy to set up? My son-in-law gave me one. It's been sitting here for over a year. It has labels in it. I just have no idea how to do. That's coming from the goof who can't figure out how to print labels on one page, and has to say every time, print only page 1, since page two has one line on it, the url of the auction.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It really shouldn't be too hard to set up, but I did waste quite a few labels at first figuring it out. I still have to remember to print page 1 only, or it prints out a second label that has "cut along the dotted line" down one edge.

There are several threads about setting it up on ebay's forums that can walk you through it.

Last edited:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you two, reduce your label size to 80%, it should stop that second page line.
I got mine that way, it's still readable by the scan machine.

oh, yeah, I don't tape the barcode, but things that come to me, seems everyone else does.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Gib & Pat. My husband is IT, but you know, the cobblers kids go shoeless. I'm the last to get computer help.
I don't tape over the bar code. I got yelled at when my ink was running low. They said, CHANGE YOUR CARTRIDGE NOW!!!
Lol.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Gib & Pat. My husband is IT, but you know, the cobblers kids go shoeless. I'm the last to get computer help.
I don't tape over the bar code. I got yelled at when my ink was running low. They said, CHANGE YOUR CARTRIDGE NOW!!!
Lol.

If you decide to install it, shoot me a pm and I will give you some screen shots of the settings to use. You can download the driver from Zebra's site.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread