vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
smoker.gif
Between the wife and I - we have purchased over 1,000 items over 10+ years. The wife is having a hearing problem and we found that TV Ears (speaker version) works super and wanted to get another. So, I found one at a great price and ordered it. I knew I was in trouble when I opened the box and the smell of cigarettes hit me in the face. Both the wife and I smoked for many years so it did bring back some fond memories. :) Fortunately, I was able to get rid of cigarette smell so all is fine. I noticed the seller has only sold a few items so I sent the seller an e-mail warning him that he might want to note that his personal item(s) are coming from a smoker or he may get some returns. He thanked me and offered to refund my money - told him not necessary - just a heads up. Now, after 10+ years - I realize that many listings note non-smoker item. Anyone else get surprised?

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
There used to be a commonly used phrase on ebay: "Item comes from a smoke-free, pet-free home". Don't really see it too often anymore.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It happens to me not when I buy something online but when I go to a yard sale and buy something. And then I put it in my car and I'm driving home. I stop and get out of the car then get back in the car and am blown away by the smell of the items in the backseat!

I bought a huge he-man set of toys and all the assessories , everything probably worth a good four to $500. Got home took the lid off in the house that was on the tub. And wanted to puke! They've been sitting outside of my garage in the cedar chips in them for about four months now. I don't know if that gets the smell out or not.

OP
OP
vpnavy

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
I had a spare power cord so didn't have to worry about getting the smell off of that. The speaker was a little bit of a challenge. I thoroughly wiped down the outside case, etc. twice. I then picked up a bag of cat litter and dumped it into a plastic tub and gently placed the speaker (on a old t-shirt) in the tub and closed its lid. I left it in the tub for two weeks - presto - smoke gone! I heard if you leave your stuff out in the sun - that works great. Unfortunately, this is a bad time of year up here for the sun. :)

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try using dryer sheets.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That only happened once. It was some scrap RAM so i set them outside for several weeks.
What is just as bad are old dolls from the 1940's. got a great buy on two vintage ones. got them home and started smelling a sick baby.
Turned out the plastic from the 1940's goes "rancid" and they small bad. They have been wrapped in dryer sheets for a year. I should go check and take a sniff.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
When I sell on eBay I always say the item was kept in a smoke free environment.
I bought my dream Fender Tele off eBay that was supposed to be mint and when it arrived it smelled like it was kept in bar in the smoker's lounge!
I called the guy to return it and he said no! I called eBay and they said I definitely have a case if it's inundated with the smell of cigarette smoke!

OP
OP
vpnavy

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Bummer RustyGold. Thank goodness it only happened to me one time. From now on - if the item can't be washed (i.e., coin, metal, plastic, etc.) - it has to say from a smoke free environment.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
This is going to sound weird, but it's bound to happen ...
A couple of times I was eating and wrapping. I'm a grown up, and know how to eat without making a mess. But I was eating a peanut butter sandwich. I thought, what if they have I've of those crazy severe peanut allergies? My friend's kid can't even be in the same room as peanut butter. I've never gotten it on anything, but I just wonder if I should include a warning, packed in the same room as peanut butter. Lol! 😛

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try wraping the item in a rag spray Febrese on the rag and place it in a plastic bag for an hour or so. Works good for smoke or musty smell. Also good for getting rid of that burnt varnish smell in vintage electronics too!

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mugs mine is dog hair, I have a white boxer and his hair is nightmarishly invasive. I am paranoid about keeping my work surfaces & inventory clean, and then after I carefully pack a hair-free package I tear off a length of packing tape and it immediately becomes some kind of hair magnet :/

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions