New shipping rates

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I've asked about this many times ... but what are y'all doing about shipping rates now? I got complaints my shipping was too high as it was. I sell 99% jewelry, which is usually around 3-5 ounces wrapped up. For first class I was charging between $3-$4. Flat rate priority envelope, $5.75, and for a flat rate box, $6.75. That covered my ebay fees and gave me a little room if they returned the item not to totally eat the shipping. Including Ebay fees, I paid $2.40 for first class; $5.47 for flat rate envelope; $5.82 for small box. I don't have PP fees added in there.

Stamps.com Blog » USPS Announces Postage Rate Increase ? Starts January 17, 2016

First class is going up $0.38-$0.56 (depending on how many ounces, the least being the highest).
flat rate envelope going up $0.70.
flat rate small box going up $0.85!

So now I'm looking at paying first class $2.96 [3 ounces] ; flat rate envelope $6.17 ; and flat rate box $6.67

This is crazy! I would never pay $7.00 for a flat rate envelope. What are you all going to do? I don't think UPS or Fed-Ex are going to be cheaper.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quit whining, buck up, you have no choice here. USPS ups it's rates every so often, everybody knows it including buyers. I personally only charge exact shipping rates and try not to buy from others who charge any more that that.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I offer "free" shipping on most of my items & build the cost into my price. Same with packing supplies. My return rate is low enough that I don't worry about having to eat the shipping costs.

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Trdhrdr, when I do free shipping, I find my return rate goes up a lot. Even though it clearly says in my auction "free shipping is not refundable". It's a huge pain to do the return, and then people get very annoyed they didn't get back all their money.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Without checking my records I can say I sold somewhere between 5-600 items last year. Most with free shipping. Had 4 returns and/or partial refunds. I had one item that broke during shipping, an electronic item that the guy didn't like the "feel" of the power button, a razor that had damage I didn't notice, & an electronic item I'm pretty sure the guy was feeding me a line to get a few bucks off. I'm not sure why free shipping would cause your return rates to go up.

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
The people who returned them said that they just wanted to "try it on". That with the exact measurements of the jewelry in the auction! One was an expensive bangle that was too small. The woman said she never would have tried it on if she knew she wouldn't get the initial shipping back. Well duh! I'm not amazon or walmart!

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
The people who returned them said that they just wanted to "try it on". That with the exact measurements of the jewelry in the auction! One was an expensive bangle that was too small. The woman said she never would have tried it on if she knew she wouldn't get the initial shipping back. Well duh! I'm not amazon or walmart!

That's ridiculous. I haven't run into that yet & hope I never do.

metaldetectorguy

Feb 21, 2011
SouthSide
Detector(s) used
Dual Field, CZ-21, V3i, VX3, Deus, BHID 300, Coinmaster GT, MX5, Ace 150, Ace 250, Gtax 1000, MXT Pro
All free shipping here. However this postage change has gotten ridiculous! I sell a lot of stuff under 3oz and used to get ebay discount which cost $2.04 to ship. Now No discount on 3oz or less and it's $2.60! I sell a lot of action figures and a good amount of cheap ones too so yes that $.60 makes a huge difference in my bottom line...Bummer

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
All free shipping here. However this postage change has gotten ridiculous! I sell a lot of stuff under 3oz and used to get ebay discount which cost $2.04 to ship. Now No discount on 3oz or less and it's $2.60! I sell a lot of action figures and a good amount of cheap ones too so yes that $.60 makes a huge difference in my bottom line...Bummer

The shipping rate is the same up to 8 ounces now. If eBay is not giving a discount on 3 ounces or less, up it to 4 ounces. Same price, plus a discount.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quit whining, buck up, you have no choice here. USPS ups it's rates every so often, everybody knows it including buyers. I personally only charge exact shipping rates and try not to buy from others who charge any more that that.
If you charge exact you are losing money.

feeBay still gets 10% of what you charge and PP gets 3%

Jazdo

Oct 11, 2007
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes,Golden Sabre II, & Inca!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After selling a few items so far this year and going to print a shipping label through eBay I may just go to the post office a lot more to ship. The eBay discount did not seem to make much of a difference and the Artworks I sell are the same weight and size most of the time that I am use to dealing with but the price was pretty hefty! I sell my Art at pretty low prices on eBay but the selling price is gonna have to be raised some. All my items are free shipping in the states but I charge for international shipments. I have around 300 items right now for sale.

I do not have a store yet and only use the free 50 a month and promotional listings offered from time to time.

A person definitely has to do homework on shipping or you can lose money fast with all the fees.

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Who says the shipping price is meant to recoup your fees too?

Take a look here under "shipping and handling costs": Selling practices

Call it what ever you want ... Envelopes, tissue paper, plastic bags, labels, all those things cost money. I just want to cover my tush if they return. You don't get your eBay fees back for shipping on items that are returned. Why should I take the hit? You don't see eBay stepping up to the plate. Let them lead by example.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Call it what ever you want ... Envelopes, tissue paper, plastic bags, labels, all those things cost money. I just want to cover my tush if they return. You don't get your eBay fees back for shipping on items that are returned. Why should I take the hit? You don't see eBay stepping up to the plate. Let them lead by example.

Read what I wrote. Your "Shipping and Handling" charge is meant to cover the cost of shipping plus costs associated with packing.

It is not intended to cover your ebay/paypal fees. Period.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Read what I wrote. Your "Shipping and Handling" charge is meant to cover the cost of shipping plus costs associated with packing.

It is not intended to cover your ebay/paypal fees. Period.
I don't care what feeBay says their fees are an expense revolved around shipping an item. I do not gouge but I want to make sure I at least do not lose money on shipping.
When someone wants to buy an item they see the price. If they don't like it they can move on to another auction.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't care what feeBay says their fees are an expense revolved around shipping an item. I do not gouge but I want to make sure I at least do not lose money on shipping.
When someone wants to buy an item they see the price. If they don't like it they can move on to another auction.
I agree, regardless of their stated policies. Although I offer free shipping on many items, I refuse to "eat" the 10% ebay takes from me on items that I do charge shipping on. Before they started penalizing everyone for the actions of a few numbnuts, I charged exact shipping.

goldhuntertim

Mar 16, 2014
west columbia sc.
Detector(s) used
org. gold bug ,prism 3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry to say but some ppl are stupid check this out I'll put some items on there for say 10.00 and 6.50 for shipping shipping now is 6.80 for padded flat rate env. it was 6.10 anyways I'll do it like that for a few times -- NO SELL ok oh by the way I only want 3-5 dollars for the item anyways so 10.00 dollars I'm making a dollar or two plus any fees but like I said NO SELL as soon as I put the item up for 17.00 dollars and free shipping there are buying my items left and right GO-FIGURE THEY ARE STILL PAYING THE SAME PLUS MORE I guess they SEE THAT FREE shipping and get all stupid WOW I'M GETTING FREE SHIPPING YOU CAN'T BET THAT HAHAHAHAHA YOU'RE STILL PAYING FOR ALL I WANT PLUS SOME

Jayers

Jun 28, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Just starting out with a BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I free ship all of my jewelry and some of the other merchandise. I have had one return in that time in the past six months due to did not want. And they didn't complain that they had to pay the return. Ignore them, set your prices, and just go with it. People will always whine. BTW, as study just came out that the longer you give someone to return an item the LESS likely they are to return it. It gives them more time to hold it, get to like and forget about it before it's too late. I have 30 days on all my items, buyer pays shipping returns. Hasn't been a problem yet, and I do expect somebody's going to try some funny business. It's business.

You should hear the stories that some people can tell from brick and mortar retail: I have a buddy that used to work the business dress department at Hudson's (a nicer department store HQ'd in Detroit). He said a lady returned a dozen dress shirts that "wore out too fast." Based on the label design they figured they were ten years old. They took them back and gave her new shirts in exchange. At least we don't have to do that!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread