Returns...

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is anyone getting a lot of returns? It seems like I'm averaging one or two a week. A lot of them are because people are reading the description on the listing.

I thought this necklace from you in it looked like it was bigger than you mentioned I'm really disappointed that it's this small!!!

I bought these and I thought they were for reading you did not mention their bifocal glasses!!!!!

You listed this necklace as dainty, and I saw the weight of 1.5 g. I didn't think it would be so light!!!

These earrings don't fit my ears well I would like to return them!!!

You said this ring was preowned I'm disappointed has marks on it!!! I was hoping it look more like new!!! I didn't notice the other picture that showed the markings please refund my money!!!

I'm averaging 2 a week on returns. So far in the amounts recently of...

$400
$165
$375
$125
$100
$67
$35
$19.99
$8.00.
Ugh!!!!

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is anyone getting a lot of returns? It seems like I'm averaging one or two a week. A lot of them are because people are reading the description on the listing.

I thought this necklace from you in it looked like it was bigger than you mentioned I'm really disappointed that it's this small!!!

I bought these and I thought they were for reading you did not mention their bifocal glasses!!!!!

You listed this necklace as dainty, and I saw the weight of 1.5 g. I didn't think it would be so light!!!

These earrings don't fit my ears well I would like to return them!!!

You said this ring was preowned I'm disappointed has marks on it!!! I was hoping it look more like new!!! I didn't notice the other picture that showed the markings please refund my money!!!

I'm averaging 2 a week on returns. So far in the amounts recently of...

$400
$165
$375
$125
$100
$67
$35
$19.99
$8.00.
Ugh!!!!

Frustrating for sure. My opinion... Don't do free shipping. Make the buyer pay for return shipping and do not refund the initial shipping charge. Unless the item is misrepresented in the listing. If you have the clear photos and description you are covered. Also, the more you sell the more returns you will get.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Just goes with the territory. It's a part of doing business online, where people can't handle the stuff...

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the better half sometimes sees the new goodie, throws a fit and back it comes!

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
That's a lot of returns. I sell between 40-70 items a month & have a return maybe 3 times a year.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is just most people have the impulse buying bug and don't read the description of it.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have never even been asked to take a return...I really firmly believe the amount of returns is directly related to the types of items your selling.

Sent from a spun out toilet paper tube (one ply)!

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; Garrett GTI 1500
I sell between 300-350 items a month on eBay. I have an eBay store...which is very well worth the money if you are going to list a lot. I have maybe 1 return a month...but they come in droves sometimes. Example. I think I had 15 returns all of last year...but I had 6 in the month of March 2015.

Of course eBay just changed their return policy if you want to keep your Top Rated Seller status...I now must offer 30 day returns instead of 14 day returns. I'm sure that will lead to more.

The low amount of returns is directly related to 2 major factors...in my opinion. 1st...Selling Brand New or Like New items. 2nd...Accurate descriptions.

Half of my returns have been clothing type items...because they didn't fit right.

Before I started my own business...I worked for a Fishing Tackle Wholesaler. In 2013...we averaged shipping 830 orders per month...throughout that year. That's orders...not items. We had at max...5-10 returns throughout the year TOTAL! And thats shipping over 10,000 orders. It was quite amazing.

Of course...Returns became a lot more prevalent when eBay changed their policy and put the favor in the Buyers hand. All the buyer has to say is...item not as described and the seller is obligated to pay the return shipping costs.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I sell between 300-350 items a month on eBay. I have an eBay store...which is very well worth the money if you are going to list a lot. I have maybe 1 return a month...but they come in droves sometimes. Example. I think I had 15 returns all of last year...but I had 6 in the month of March 2015.

Of course eBay just changed their return policy if you want to keep your Top Rated Seller status...I now must offer 30 day returns instead of 14 day returns. I'm sure that will lead to more.

The low amount of returns is directly related to 2 major factors...in my opinion. 1st...Selling Brand New or Like New items. 2nd...Accurate descriptions.

Half of my returns have been clothing type items...because they didn't fit right.

Before I started my own business...I worked for a Fishing Tackle Wholesaler. In 2013...we averaged shipping 830 orders per month...throughout that year. That's orders...not items. We had at max...5-10 returns throughout the year TOTAL! And thats shipping over 10,000 orders. It was quite amazing.

Of course...Returns became a lot more prevalent when eBay changed their policy and put the favor in the Buyers hand. All the buyer has to say is...item not as described and the seller is obligated to pay the return shipping costs.

Yeah, with a policy like that returns are going to be an even bigger problem. eBay really needs to stand by the seller a bit more.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NO RETURNS "AS-IS" Ive had two try so far. Ebay has been on my side both times now. Buyers remorse is not a reason for a return or not looking at pictures closely. And Unless I truly mess up a listing? I will not take a return. Unless!! They back out before they pay or before I ship. Then no problem. To me Ebay is like a garage sale or an auction! No one in their right mind would return something to a garage sale and I have never been to auctions where items could be returned. :laughing7: And if people don't come back because of it? I probably don't want the future problems from them anyhow! It's cut and dry! Look at the listing, look at the pics, if it is not clear enough to make a decision for the purchase? then don't buy it or ask more questions! Just my thoughts on returns. :laughing7:

Take good pics! And let them decide the condition. If it is written right? Ebay will stand behind you. If you are doing this to make money even as a hobby, who has time for the headache of returns? Also! If they try to leave bad feedback? Ebay will block or remove the negative feedback.:thumbsup: Go to walmart if you want to buy stuff and return! :laughing7: I'm not walmart!

"Item is not as described" does not work with good pictures! My argument was,....... a written condition description is subjective, a picture is the real description and is the opinion of the buyer. You don't need to have it fully described as far as condition goes, you are better off leaving that as vague as possible, only listing major flaws. Then put in there "please look at pictures and judge condition, any questions please ask. " or something similar.

I worked extra hard not to accept the returns. There are reasons for it in the category I mostly sell in. There are too many scammers out there. That and look at what the heck your buying! Don't just click buttons and change your mind and waste peoples time! Ok, OK, Maybe I'm just a grouchy seller!:laughing7: I have bought items, got them, and thought "why did I buy this?" but it wasn't the sellers fault I made a quick purchase and didn't ask the questions I should have.

Last edited:

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Frustrating for sure. My opinion... Don't do free shipping. Make the buyer pay for return shipping and do not refund the initial shipping charge. Unless the item is misrepresented in the listing. If you have the clear photos and description you are covered. Also, the more you sell the more returns you will get.

Based on advice from here, I started to do free shipping. However, ever auction says, Free shipping ($×.××) is not refundable. I put in the price of shipping the item that I used to use.
I am hoping that will cut down on buyers remorse.
No answers for your heavy returns right now. Seems like they are mostly just buying it to see, and having buyers remorse. Sorry that it's happening. Hopefully, things will turn around.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well since I made this post I only had 2 more returns. They both paid for the return back because They didn't read the stupid listing. One for $67 and one for $100.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread