First time scammed on eBay

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the first time I bought a necklace on eBay as scrap gold. Advertised it as 27 g, $250. So I jumped on it and bought it. Comes in the mail and as you can imagine, it's fake as heck. Weight of 143 g. Solid copper gold plated. Contact the buyer he refuses to except the return. Now waiting for eBay to jump in. Buying on eBay for 15 years is the first time this garbage has happened. And this necklace is so fake it's not even funny. I'm not even sure they used the same one in the picture. It's been five days they're supposed to step in today or tomorrow. Really sucks that a new seller with a Feedback less than 15 comes in just to scam people. The lady on the phone reassured me that the funds are held in his PayPal account. I told him if the necklace was real it be worth three grand and youd never hear from me again. And it's the same story of how it's real and I cannot return it. I hate the people like this that make it a buying experience suck on purpose.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1488378040.056507.jpg

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
I think between eBay and PayPay you will be made whole. I hesitate long and hard to bid on items sold by Sellers who don't accept returns. Why not?

But - if I may - did you really expect to purchase a $3,000 necklace for $250? I've seen lots of valuable things sold on eBay. Even if they start at a penny, they tend to get bid up to close to market value.

I try to buy at 25% or so of what I think is the retail price. But I buy some obscure things. 12% or less for something that is so easily valued?

This is not to criticize you. You pays your money and you takes your choice. You don't deserve to be cheated, and I do hope you get your money back.

I'm simply suggesting there's something here for everyone to think about.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
Bookaroo, sometimes you get lucky. I bought a lot in 2015 that had 6 issues of the National Prospector's Gazette, about that many National treasure Hunter's League and some other odds and ends. Paid $1.25 for it. Probably my only really, really good haul. Not even sure how it was posted because if it was listed as normal I would have been inundated with bid snipers I'm sure. As i was my only complaint was the guy didn't have a lot more like it.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, sometimes you get lucky. I've only been seriously had once, and it was my own fault for not paying more attention.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think between eBay and PayPay you will be made whole. I hesitate long and hard to bid on items sold by Sellers who don't accept returns.

That does not matter. Buyers can always legitimately make a return by stating SNAD - Significantly Not As Described. Doesn't matter whether or not the seller indicates they accept returns.

But - if I may - did you really expect to purchase a $3,000 necklace for $250? I've seen lots of valuable things sold on eBay. Even if they start at a penny, they tend to get bid up to close to market value.

^^ Bingo! That is the issue right there. Especially with something pretty generic and widely known, like scrap gold.

Chalk all this up as a lesson learned, for sure. I think you'll get all your money back, eventually.

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
Bookaroo, sometimes you get lucky. I bought a lot in 2015 that had 6 issues of the National Prospector's Gazette, about that many National treasure Hunter's League and some other odds and ends. Paid $1.25 for it. Probably my only really, really good haul. Not even sure how it was posted because if it was listed as normal I would have been inundated with bid snipers I'm sure. As i was my only complaint was the guy didn't have a lot more like it.
Found the old listing, yeah, it still blows my mind that I pulled this one off (For $1.25 mind you):

[FONT=&quot]Lot of 20+ Various Treasure Magazines and Newspapers[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]CONDITION: Used. All are in Good to Very Good condition. Former owner’s name or stamp on covers – not noted in lists below.[/FONT]
INTERNATIONAL CLUB DIGEST’S WORLD OF TREASURE
[FONT=&quot]1978 – APRIL[/FONT]
NATIONAL TREASURE HUNTERS LEAGUE
[FONT=&quot]Vol. 3, No. 3[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Vol. 5, No. 2[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Vol. 5, No. 3[/FONT]
DIG
[FONT=&quot]1981 Spring/Summer[/FONT]
TESORO
[FONT=&quot]3 miscellaneous copies[/FONT]
*The following are all in newspaper format:
*NATIONAL PROSPECTOR’S GAZETTE
[FONT=&quot]Vol. 8, No. 2[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Vol. 9, No. 1[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Vol. 9, No. 5[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Vol. 9, No. 6[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Vol. 10, No. 2[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Vol. 12, No. 2[/FONT]
*TREASURE HUNTERS NEWS
[FONT=&quot]Vol. 1, No. 3 (tears on front cover)[/FONT]
*IN THE STEPS
[FONT=&quot]Vol. 3, Nos. 1 & 2[/FONT]
*INTERNATIONAL CLUB DIGEST, Compton, California
[FONT=&quot]1976 - May June October[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1977 - January, February, April[/FONT]
11 miscellaneous detector catalogs, such as White’s, Garrett’s, etc.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No I expected to buy a 27 g necklace for $250. Yeah it's still $400 under spot. Has that happened before? Yes. In the summertime more I think I seem to get stuff away under spot sometimes. It's out there. They listed it as 27 g. When I got it in the mail and I actually weighed it was 143g. So no I was not expecting that heavy of a necklace that's just what it was when It came here. It was advertised as 27 g not 143 g. Which is why I believe they sent a different necklace because they used a different picture. I guess it was a bad decision on my part although I was expecting a necklace that weighed 27 g in the mail. Not this honking thing. But either way it's still fake and this guy is a pain to deal with.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No I expected to buy a 27 g necklace for $250. Yeah it's still $400 under spot. Has that happened before? Yes. In the summertime more I think I seem to get stuff away under spot sometimes. It's out there. They listed it as 27 g. When I got it in the mail and I actually weighed it was 143g. So no I was not expecting that heavy of a necklace that's just what it was when It came here. It was advertised as 27 g not 143 g. Which is why I believe they sent a different necklace because they used a different picture. I guess it was a bad decision on my part although I was expecting a necklace that weighed 27 g in the mail. Not this honking thing. But either way it's still fake and this guy is a pain to deal with.

You could send a pic of the necklace on a scale to eBay customer service. It should be pretty obvious to them if the weight is that far off. Either way, a SNAD claim should get you your money back.

Sodapop

Nov 14, 2016
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear that Beachkid. I'm still newish at selling with a feedback just under 20. I will be listing a couple of Hermes ties (which are genuine) and it's jackasses like your seller that are a part of buyers passing by my listing. They hurt us all in some fashion. Good luck with getting your money back, although I don't see how you wouldn't.

There still are steals at Ebay and I don't blame you for buying.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've snagged quite a few deals off ebay. I've also been scammed...twice. It was easy enough to get my money back both times.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Randy:

Nice! There were probably a few of my articles in those issues of NTHL. I think Ray Smith paid either $25 or $35 each back then. He didn't know I was just out of high school...

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really sucks that a new seller with a Feedback less than 15 comes in just to scam people.

I doubt he is a new seller. Just a new name with low feedback. I wonder how many times he got kicked off ebay and came back the same day as a new seller with a new name.

As for that ugly necklace, is it stamped ITALY? When I bought that huge 300 pound stash of jewelry a couple of years ago I got several of those. Some were stamped 925 ITALY and some 14K ITALY but they all screamed 假 (fake in Chinese)

You should get you money back, remember ebay loves buyers.

tomcat7544047

Tenderfoot
Nov 5, 2016
Columbus, Ms
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought a oz of pennys one time supposed to be wheats think i paid about 20 bucks there was one 1954 wheat the rest were just 1990 and above tried to contact the seller he never did answer me and i still haven't received my money back thats been 7 months ago.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Bought a oz of pennys one time supposed to be wheats think i paid about 20 bucks there was one 1954 wheat the rest were just 1990 and above tried to contact the seller he never did answer me and i still haven't received my money back thats been 7 months ago.

Both ebay and paypal have had processes in place to prevent fraud like this for many years. Follow the procedures specified by ebay/paypal and let the process work the way it was designed. You will get your money back.

Just asking to return the item is just a huge waste of time. You HAVE to file a complaint that the item received was not as described. It is not the same as a return. To the guy who has been waiting 7 months. Dude, that was your fault for waiting so long. You are just out of luck.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought the return policy was easy. They want me to go get proof from the police department before I can return the item or get my money back.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1488502344.748742.jpg

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You people that keep saying "Don't worry, you'll get your money back" don't take into account pure sham artists who open sham accounts specifically to scam people, then they get closed and they open another.
Guaranteed the $$ was withdrawn into his pocket within hours, there will be nothing to refund - Unless you seriously think ebay/paypal are going to dig into their own pockets out of the kindness of their hearts.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought the return policy was easy. They want me to go get proof from the police department before I can return the item or get my money back.

View attachment 1421766

That is ridiculous! What makes the police experts on authenticating jewelry? Likely they would just tell you they don't get involved in matters like that. What a crock.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good friend of ours is a police officer. I'm not even sure he's gonna want to do it because he doesn't know what's involved. He's never had a request like this.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions