Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You people that keep saying "Don't worry, you'll get your money back" don't take into account pure sham artists who open sham accounts specifically to scam people, then they get closed and they open another.
Guaranteed the $$ was withdrawn into his pocket within hours, there will be nothing to refund - Unless you seriously think ebay/paypal are going to dig into their own pockets out of the kindness of their hearts.

I've gotten refunds TWICE from ebay. Not out of the goodness of their hearts, but a cost of doing business.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't you provide EBay with the original posting of what the necklace looked in the ad, vs the one you got?

Having said that, what's to prevent a buyer from getting the real thing but showing EBay something fake just to scam them?

Obviously not saying that's what you are trying to do, but I can see how easily it could be done.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
You people that keep saying "Don't worry, you'll get your money back" don't take into account pure sham artists who open sham accounts specifically to scam people, then they get closed and they open another.
Guaranteed the $$ was withdrawn into his pocket within hours, there will be nothing to refund - Unless you seriously think ebay/paypal are going to dig into their own pockets out of the kindness of their hearts.

You can "guarantee" it all you want but that is simply not how it works. Paypal will indeed refund your money if you meet all of their buyer protection criteria and you follow the steps outlined in the process. It is like a small insurance policy.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I thought the return policy was easy. They want me to go get proof from the police department before I can return the item or get my money back.

View attachment 1421766

Due to the cost threshold of the item in question, yes, a police report is required.

How do they know that YOU aren't trying to scam them? I know the story, as I know your credentials, but paypal doesn't know that. You are just an anonymous random person claiming that they owe you $250, in their eyes.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
tomcat7544047:

Did you try to get your money back from the Seller (no chance there since it was a scam) or from ebay? PayPal?

Unfortunately, after 7 months it is probably too late.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every person you talk to was different. I just talk to a supervisor there and they said a jeweler is fine as well. So I will definitely get that taken care of on Monday.

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you haven't done it yet, make sure you start the "Item Not As Described" case. Even if they are wanting an 'official' report on the item, it will freeze the funds in the seller's account until a decision is made.

FYI, I've been with Paypal since before it was Paypal (originally called x.com), and I am confident they will find in your favor. A lot of people have personal gripes with ebay and paypal, but I have always found both of them to be fair, and typically (not 100%) they side with the buyer.

49er4ever44

Feb 9, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bought a oz of pennys one time supposed to be wheats think i paid about 20 bucks there was one 1954 wheat the rest were just 1990 and above tried to contact the seller he never did answer me and i still haven't received my money back thats been 7 months ago.

You need to be more persistent with ebay. Not the scamming seller. It may be too late in your case.

49er4ever44

Feb 9, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

You people? Oh man.... lol seriously though, foil hat time? If anyone can afford to please their customers it's ebay and paypal. Jesus ebay gets 11% of everything and paypal takes a quaint 3%. Of everything.

49er4ever44

Feb 9, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

You people? Oh man.... lol seriously though, foil hat time? If anyone can afford to please their customers it's ebay and paypal. Jesus ebay gets 11% of everything and paypal takes a quaint 3%. Of everything.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...don't take into account pure sham artists who open sham accounts specifically to scam people, then they get closed and they open another.

You would think ebay/paypal would have a procedure in place to detect when someone gets kicked off for scamming (or anything else) and tries to come back as a new seller. If I remember you have to give personal and bank info to both places to get signed up. They should be able to cross reference all of that with existing and past seller accounts. Sure the scammer could open new bank accounts or move but that takes a long time to move or pretty soon the scammer will run out of banks.

If I remember, if a paypal account is empty and paypal needs to refund from that account they have a credit card of that scammer to pull money from.

oredigger62

Jun 12, 2013
Austinville Va.
Detector(s) used
Fisher goldbug 2
Garrett infinium
garrett AT-MAX
Garrett sea hunter mark 2
Fisher gemini 3 ( two box )
Equinox 800
Nokta Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently opened another ebay account because i wanted to keep my auto parts separate from my clothing and antiques. Ebay quickly detected " similarities " between accounts. I set my paypal up using a reloadable generic visa prepaid card loaded with 50 bucks and was good to go. A scammer could get this guy's 250 bucks and send it as a gift to another account and completely bypass his registered bank. Ultimately there is going to be a paper trail somewhere. But ebay has had policies in place for this very thing. Sometime this month they are instituting polices where a buyer doesn't even have to send an item back for refund.. Ebay has always been tilted toward the buyer so there is no need for police reports and crap like that. It appears as if that response came from a " community member "... and not ebay proper. You will get your money back. The sellers listing is kept on the servers for quite a while so it is easy to retrieve . Let us know when you get your refund , and best of luck in the future. If it seems too good to be true it probably is. ( 95% accuracy)

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You would think ebay/paypal would have a procedure in place to detect when someone gets kicked off for scamming (or anything else) and tries to come back as a new seller. If I remember you have to give personal and bank info to both places to get signed up. They should be able to cross reference all of that with existing and past seller accounts. Sure the scammer could open new bank accounts or move but that takes a long time to move or pretty soon the scammer will run out of banks.

If I remember, if a paypal account is empty and paypal needs to refund from that account they have a credit card of that scammer to pull money from.

Of course they have procedures in place and its not simple to set up accounts.
Alls it takes is the will, you can easily google to see how it is done.
[Credit card on file is not necessary]

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once had a 10.4 gram 14K gold ring go for less than 80% of Spot. Take into account my ebay fees and paypal fees, and I ended up with something like 67% of spot. It taught me that stuff DOES go for cheaper than it's worth on e-bay. I now don't even bother listing it for less than what I'll take for it. And all gold and jewelry goes to the refinery. I can guarantee a better return that way.

But... If it's fraudulent, the OP shouldn't have any problem getting his refund. Might be annoying, but fraud is fraud, and he'll be protected. There's no protection for the seller, though, when a pricey item auctions for less than intended!

Skippy

Your "seller protection" is called a reserve.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Beachkid23 - how does the sellers feedback look?

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

doesn't feeBay charge extra for that?

If I want a at least $50 for something I will start my auction at $50 + fees + shipping. If a buyer doesn't like that, too bad. ebay has not yet figured out a way to charge me extra for that. oops, if they are reading this it will be brought up at the next "lets screw sellers meeting"

JoeDirty

Oct 7, 2016
Denver Colorado
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejón Black with a 5.75 concentric coil,
Tesoro Compadré 5.75 coil, Makro Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They can also change the name of the account. I ran into a trickster awhile back. I was selling something and I started investigating him when he didn't pay on time. He would forward the mailing address and say he didn't get the item. Feedback was great accept one bad one. When i he started lying to be about being hunkered down for the hurricane and couldn't make the payment, but his address was not florida and he was online emailing me. SO paypal still works if you have the net. Much more to the story but there is a way to investigate weather the account name has been changed or not. They also sell what they steal from time to time, and have multiple accounts to buy from one another. I also noticed he was selling exactly what he was buying from me. Kind of odd i thought. Well he is stealing also not shipping what people buy and maintaining great feedback. I guess some are just naturals at it.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
They can also change the name of the account. I ran into a trickster awhile back. I was selling something and I started investigating him when he didn't pay on time. He would forward the mailing address and say he didn't get the item. Feedback was great accept one bad one. When i he started lying to be about being hunkered down for the hurricane and couldn't make the payment, but his address was not florida and he was online emailing me. SO paypal still works if you have the net. Much more to the story but there is a way to investigate weather the account name has been changed or not. They also sell what they steal from time to time, and have multiple accounts to buy from one another. I also noticed he was selling exactly what he was buying from me. Kind of odd i thought. Well he is stealing also not shipping what people buy and maintaining great feedback. I guess some are just naturals at it.

???

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've noticed people tend to avoid reserve price auctions. Just start at the lowest price you will accept.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
doesn't feeBay charge extra for that?

If I want a at least $50 for something I will start my auction at $50 + fees + shipping. If a buyer doesn't like that, too bad. ebay has not yet figured out a way to charge me extra for that. oops, if they are reading this it will be brought up at the next "lets screw sellers meeting"

I'm not sure, I usually only use fixed price listings with the best offer feature.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread