May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did I really just win this chronograph with a $47 bid???!!! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1497533396.424319.jpg

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Congrats! I am just a novice at the watch collecting game and don't recognize the Semca name, but if you are happy, I am happy for you. Enjoy it!

T.

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! I am just a novice at the watch collecting game and don't recognize the Semca name, but if you are happy, I am happy for you. Enjoy it!

T.

It's a total shot in the dark. There was no picture of the movement so I just took my chances it's going to be a good one. I will follow up next week when I receive it

Johnbrian

Jun 15, 2017
Bakersfield, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, White's 3900/D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hope you do well but I have my doubts! I'm a long time watch guy that has been burned (my own fault, not the seller's) a few times. Nothing really bad fortunately, maybe $100.00 total over five watches. But when I see a watch with a case with that much damage I pass. Its obvious the watch was worn a lot so the previous owner like it & used it but the case looks like burned toast.

If the movement doesn't need a rebuild I'd be very surprised. Judging by the damage on the dial it's been damp inside, likely on many occasions. The dial does have character, some would say a bit too much, but I'd wear it with that dial given a good movement.

Well, I'm a total downer, aren't I? I do hope you do well!

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you do well but I have my doubts! I'm a long time watch guy that has been burned (my own fault, not the seller's) a few times. Nothing really bad fortunately, maybe $100.00 total over five watches. But when I see a watch with a case with that much damage I pass. Its obvious the watch was worn a lot so the previous owner like it & used it but the case looks like burned toast.

If the movement doesn't need a rebuild I'd be very surprised. Judging by the damage on the dial it's been damp inside, likely on many occasions. The dial does have character, some would say a bit too much, but I'd wear it with that dial given a good movement.

Well, I'm a total downer, aren't I? I do hope you do well!

Not a downer but a realist. The auction did say it was running and the buttons functioned so I took their word and figured the movement is not rusted. I'm with you and that I love a dial with character. Some of my favorite watches are ones others may consider rough. The last chance I took on eBay was for a ladies Tavannes watch that I suspected was gold but not listed as such. When I came in it was 14 karat gold so I'm actually doing pretty good with these shot in the dark purchases. I'll keep you updated when it comes in.

Johnbrian

Jun 15, 2017
Bakersfield, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not a downer but a realist. The auction did say it was running and the buttons functioned so I took their word and figured the movement is not rusted. I'm with you and that I love a dial with character. Some of my favorite watches are ones others may consider rough. The last chance I took on eBay was for a ladies Tavannes watch that I suspected was gold but not listed as such. When I came in it was 14 karat gold so I'm actually doing pretty good with these shot in the dark purchases. I'll keep you updated when it comes in.

I looked at the auction but only to take a gander at the pics. Maybe next time I should read what it says. lol

Good score on the ladies watch! I picked up a couple of bags of watches several years ago from Salvation Army & found a couple of gold watches, a silver watch or two, and a few good ones to sell on eBay. Not long after this they stopped selling unsorted watches and then stopped selling watch grab-bags shortly after.

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the watch came in today. My hunch paid off! I was surprised with how pristine the Landeron 48 movement appears. So far it is keeping really good time and all functions work. I am extremely pleased with this purchase for $47.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1498046930.430778.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1498046962.822389.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1498046984.736330.jpg

Johnbrian

Jun 15, 2017
Bakersfield, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad (and surprised) you got a well working watch! :icon_thumright:

Landeron movement! I couldn't for the life of me remember the name the other day when I posted here. Good movement. I've got one somewhere among my watch stuff. Needs a couple of parts IIRC.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No risk, no reward. Good job JD :icon_thumleft: I did once look at a site online that can restore those plated base metal cases into beautiful pristine condition, but yours doesn't look all that bad.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No risk, no reward. Good job JD :icon_thumleft: I did once look at a site online that can restore those plated base metal cases into beautiful pristine condition, but yours doesn't look all that bad.

I cleaned up the case a little bit and polish the Crystal. I've been quite impressed on how accurately the watch has been running. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1498351426.197288.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread