vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
First time this has happened. I bought an item that was considerably less then everyone else. It was a "BUY IT NOW." The funds came out of my PayPal and was waiting for shipping information. A few days later I get a message that "my request to cancel" was honored and funds were transfer'd back to my PayPal account. I never asked to cancel my purchase and sent a message to the seller for something that said I cancelled my purchase and why was the item NOW listed for 3 times as much? I sent two messages and haven't received a reply. I know exactly what happened. The seller realized that he (or she) priced it way to low and wanted to cancel it but I already bought it, sent the money and was awaiting delivery so he (or she) said I requested the item buy be cancelled.

If the seller would have just told me he made a price mistake I would have understood - but that wasn't the way the seller handled the transaction. The seller isn't new - he has sold over 400 items so far. I actually found another one and bought it (yes, I actually got a shipment date for that one - SMILE).

I really don't plan on doing anything but wondered what my options would be...

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately negative feedback is probably going to be your only recourse.

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
First time this has happened. I bought an item that was considerably less then everyone else. It was a "BUY IT NOW." The funds came out of my PayPal and was waiting for shipping information. A few days later I get a message that "my request to cancel" was honored and funds were transfer'd back to my PayPal account. I never asked to cancel my purchase and sent a message to the seller for something that said I cancelled my purchase and why was the item NOW listed for 3 times as much? I sent two messages and haven't received a reply. I know exactly what happened. The seller realized that he (or she) priced it way to low and wanted to cancel it but I already bought it, sent the money and was awaiting delivery so he (or she) said I requested the item buy be cancelled.

If the seller would have just told me he made a price mistake I would have understood - but that wasn't the way the seller handled the transaction. The seller isn't new - he has sold over 400 items so far. I actually found another one and bought it (yes, I actually got a shipment date for that one - SMILE).

I really don't plan on doing anything but wondered what my options would be...

I definitely would have at least filed "Item Not Received" and then explained exactly what happened. I also would have asked how they could have possibly received a "Request To Cancel" from you when you never even sent one? I would have called and asked PayPal to look into that to see if they ever actually received a "Request To Cancel" to make sure that one wasn't sent from my account in case it had been comprised. They will connect you directly to their security department in those instances. Once you made sure that it wasn't (which is most important) there really wasn't anything you could do to receive the item. However at least you made them aware in case they do that to somebody else. I would definitely leave negative feedback as well. I'm glad that you found another one and that you have a shipment date.

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could have contacted ebay, but honestly in this type of situation there really isn't anything you can do. Yes, you can leave negative feedback. Not sure if the seller could get it repealed, but I'm sure he could make the case that there was "an error in the listing price". No, what he did was not ethical, at least in the way he went about doing so. I've fought this battle numerous times, or tried to. I've won BINs AND auctions where the seller has decided to cancel because of the price. eBay basically just tells me "well there's no way to make them sell you the item". So they'll get a slap on the wrist for this. If it was an auction, they got a "freeroll" and a chance to sell it again for more. In the case of BIN, I feel that sellers should have more a tighter leash if they sell the item. Granted, I've seen my fair share of honest mistakes. I've bought a few morgan dollars and the like for $.99 BIN over the last few years. Still waiting for them to arrive.::)

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Under current eBay policy if the seller cancels a purchase they get a defect. Enough defects & they lose TRS status and/or their ability to sell. In this case it's obvious the seller selected "buyer requested" when asked why they were cancelling the sale. If it was me I'd figure out whatever procedure was necessary to make sure they got the defect. That's probably opening a case for item not received. You won't get the item but they will get a well deserved defect.

As a seller I want people like this penalized. Problem sellers/buyers make it hard on everyone.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was me I'd figure out whatever procedure was necessary to make sure they got the defect. That's probably opening a case for item not received.
Will ebay really give him a defect? Even if they do how do you know it will affect other buyers decisions. I do not think there is any icon that shows buyers did something wrong. (now that I typed this ebay may see it and implement a new icon, remember they do not like sellers)

Time for a scathing neg feedback. Over the years I have had to ship things that I didn't like the final price on. But what can I say? I play the game. I have also bought things that I feel I got a great price on. That's the game.

A couple of years ago I won several (more than 10) collectible "baseball" type cards for opening bid of 1¢ the seller cancelled all the auctions and did not ship. I left a neg on each and every auction and several of you left bad comments to me on t-net. Same thing as happened to vpnavy.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I'm not 100% certain but I don't think you can leave feedback after a case is opened. I'm coming off a similar transaction and the item doesn't even show on my activity page as a purchased item. The seller in my case deserves some negative feedback. I'm going to buy a cheap item from his store and get him that way.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Will ebay really give him a defect? Even if they do how do you know it will affect other buyers decisions. I do not think there is any icon that shows buyers did something wrong. (now that I typed this ebay may see it and implement a new icon, remember they do not like sellers)

I'm not aware of any icon for a defect & am reasonably certain defects are only posted on the seller dashboard. Under the most recent eBay policy there are 2 ways to get defects, lose your TRS status, & eventually have your account closed. The first is to not resolve a customer issue forcing eBay to step in & make things right for the customer. The second is for the seller to cancel a sale due to being unable or unwilling to complete the transaction. I'm a member of other groups & have seen people complain about losing TRS and/or losing their selling privileges so I'm 100% sure it happens. Here's the relevant statement directly from eBay:

The transaction defect rate is the percentage of your transactions that have one or more of the following defects:

• eBay Money Back Guarantee and PayPal Purchase Protection cases closed without seller resolution
  • Seller-initiated transaction cancellation
To meet our minimum standard, you can only have up to 2% of transactions with one or more defects over the most recent evaluation period. To qualify as a Top Rated Seller, you can only have up to 0.5% of transactions with one or more defects over the most recent evaluation period.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The part of this that would bother me the most is that the seller may have somehow falsely stated that the buyer (you) initiated a Request to Cancel. That is why I'd contact eBay Customer Service. Explain it from the angle of being concerned that somehow the seller hacked into your account.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
The part of this that would bother me the most is that the seller may have somehow falsely stated that the buyer (you) initiated a Request to Cancel. That is why I'd contact eBay Customer Service. Explain it from the angle of being concerned that somehow the seller hacked into your account.

They wouldn't have to hack into your account. I've had buyers ask me to cancel purchases. It's been a while & I'm fuzzy on exact details. When I click on cancelling a sale it pulls up a list of reasons that includes "buyer requested". The seller can select any of those reasons.....& anyone that will cancel a sale because the price was too low darn sure isn't going to select the reason that gives them a defect. This is why the OP needs to contact eBay who will then check messages to verify. Otherwise there is no penalty for the seller.

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not 100% certain but I don't think you can leave feedback after a case is opened. I'm coming off a similar transaction and the item doesn't even show on my activity page as a purchased item. The seller in my case deserves some negative feedback. I'm going to buy a cheap item from his store and get him that way.

While I admire the enthusiasm.. I'm fairly certain if you left feedback pertaining to another item, the seller could contact eBay and complain about it to have it removed. If eBay really doesn't allow you to post feedback after an open case, there's probably a reason for it. Going around it will likely just result in it being removed - though it doesn't hurt to try! Plus maybe if the seller is that much of a numbskull, maybe he won't notice.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They wouldn't have to hack into your account. I've had buyers ask me to cancel purchases. It's been a while & I'm fuzzy on exact details. When I click on cancelling a sale it pulls up a list of reasons that includes "buyer requested". The seller can select any of those reasons.....& anyone that will cancel a sale because the price was too low darn sure isn't going to select the reason that gives them a defect. This is why the OP needs to contact eBay who will then check messages to verify. Otherwise there is no penalty for the seller.

Right, I just meant, if you start saying things to eBay customer service like you think the seller somehow hacked into your account, that would raise red flags and perhaps inconvenience the seller a bit.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a seller once cancel the sale after I won the auction for some perfect bose speakers. I contacted him and he said that as he was packing them to ship, he noticed that one had heavy scratches on a side that he never saw before. So he decided they were not properly described and felt he just could not sell them in that condition and risk bad feedback.I think not, seeing that the win price was below 20 bucks. I just counted my loss and moved on....after he refunded me.

OP
OP
vpnavy

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a seller once cancel the sale after I won the auction for some perfect bose speakers. I contacted him and he said that as he was packing them to ship, he noticed that one had heavy scratches on a side that he never saw before. So he decided they were not properly described and felt he just could not sell them in that condition and risk bad feedback.I think not, seeing that the win price was below 20 bucks. I just counted my loss and moved on....after he refunded me.
metal_detector.gif
At least you got a reply. I sent a few messages and never got a reply. I decided to just let it go and rely on NEGATIVE KARMA :laughing7: to take care of the bad seller. Life is tooooooooooo short to worry about it. All I actually lost was a little time and got my money back. Life goes on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread