jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always choose free Shipping under delivery option before I Even Search through.
I really Hate Sellers who offer a $10 item for $2. Then ya find out Shipping was $8

no deal there

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's more to shipping than the $3.00 you were charged. The shipping box or padded mailer costs money as does bubble wrap or other protective material. There's also fuel costs to get the item to the post office or whichever shipping company the seller chooses.
I will agree that $10.00 seems excessive on an item that cost $3.00 to ship.
$6.00 would be a fair price if I were the seller.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your only problem is you dont agree with the handling fee? Where you not aware of the shipping price before you paid for the item ?

This is your own fault...

Ebay allows the seller to include a handling fee, boxes, tape, packing material and fuel to take it to the post office those are not free...

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
That's obviously a seller that doesn't have a clue. They should have built the shipping into the item price and/or opted to not have the postage cost printed on the label. IMO it doesn't make any difference how the price is broken down. The buyer should be checking the total price to see if that number is reasonable.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What really Confuses me is Packages from China.

I've seen Items that cost $1.50 With Free Shipping.

and usps delivers it in the end

If the same Package was shipped from NY to PA The postage would be a couple Dollars.

They obviously are making money

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
To the OP - you can opt to leave feedback that reflects the higher cost. But what you deem as an unfair shipping cost isn't grounds to seek a refund. At the time of bidding (auction style) or purchase (BIN), the shipping cost should be clear and evident.

My shipping policy is always calculated with no handling fee. I very rarely offer free shipping (sorry Jeff that you miss out on my items). I'm not Amazon. I can't afford to eat the shipping cost not to mention the extra costs of packing material, printing costs, etc. I have found that First Class shipping has no rhyme or reason as to the cost for different locations. Shipping to CA is cheaper than Arizona. It costs more to ship within the state of Florida that it does to send to MO.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To the OP - you can opt to leave feedback that reflects the higher cost. But what you deem as an unfair shipping cost isn't grounds to seek a refund. At the time of bidding (auction style) or purchase (BIN), the shipping cost should be clear and evident.

My shipping policy is always calculated with no handling fee. I very rarely offer free shipping (sorry Jeff that you miss out on my items). I'm not Amazon. I can't afford to eat the shipping cost not to mention the extra costs of packing material, printing costs, etc. I have found that First Class shipping has no rhyme or reason as to the cost for different locations. Shipping to CA is cheaper than Arizona. It costs more to ship within the state of Florida that it does to send to MO.

Everyone Has a Right to avoid my Business

giphy3.gif

& The nice thing about EBay, There always seems to be someone who Eventually Sells for Less & Gives Free Shipping.

OR I Really didn't need the Item :tongue3:

Last edited:

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shipping cost to you should be clearly shown in the listing. Sorry, but if you're not happy with the shipping, you shouldn't have bought the item. Just my opinion.

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Your only problem is you dont agree with the handling fee? Where you not aware of the shipping price before you paid for the item ?

This is your own fault...

Ebay allows the seller to include a handling fee, boxes, tape, packing material and fuel to take it to the post office those are not free...

Not sure if this is still the case, but a while back they put shipping cost limits on certain items. I remember that at one time the most you could charge to ship a video game was $4.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if this is still the case, but a while back they put shipping cost limits on certain items. I remember that at one time the most you could charge to ship a video game was $4.

I Remember that also. I believe that was because sellers were claiming they needed to know who won,
and where they were from before listing shipping cost. and if a $20.00, item like a silver coin was won for $5.00,
they would charge $15.00 to $25.00 for shipping and handling completely nulling the win price :laughing7:

Last edited:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL

Media rate (Books/CDs/DVDs/Games) all have the restriction. The only one in the category is the varied weight of books. The others are all known how much they weigh and the associated cost to ship.

With regards to the Wild West days of charging excessive shipping on low bids, eBay used to not charge a fee on the shipping. So a seller could sell an item for a few bucks while charging an excessive shipping rate in order to circumvent the fees while still yielding an acceptable total for the item. Now, the eBay fees are based on the Final Value which includes shipping.

So there are different approaches in compensating for the loss. One is for the seller to charge a handling fee on top of the shipping fee such that the cost of shipping/materials will not incur a loss for a seller because eBay still charges the fee on handling and shipping. Two is to not bother with the calculus of handling and charge just the calculated rate with the hope that the minor discount on shipping labels offsets eBay's take and your costs. Three is to offer free shipping so as buyers are unable to leave feedback on shipping details and the idea that buyers might bid more if they don't have to pay shipping.

I'm not sure the third choice can be proven consistently where the seller is not losing money beyond the cost of shipping but in incidental costs associated with shipping. The one benefit is that buyers can't leave feedback on shipping details. Some buyers just hate shipping costs and have an unrealistic idea of what the actual shipping costs are. Shipping is expensive and is never "free". I'm a power seller for nearly 20 years and always charge a calculated shipping cost. I don't pad the weight of an item or charge a handling fee to increase the costs to the buyer. Yet, when you look at my feedback (still 100% positive overall), the specific feedback details indicates that some buyers have left less than 5 stars on the shipping charge. Somehow the buyers think I'm responsible for passing along the same costs that I incur as being excessive.

Coinboy

Dec 4, 2019
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Nokta Makro Simplex, pulsedive, Garrett Ace 200, Nokta pinpointer, Brute Magnetics 888 pound Fishing Magnet
Predatortools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sell and ship on Ebay and they have a shipping cost calculator that you can use before you list the item

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Media rate (Books/CDs/DVDs/Games) all have the restriction. The only one in the category is the varied weight of books. The others are all known how much they weigh and the associated cost to ship.

With regards to the Wild West days of charging excessive shipping on low bids, eBay used to not charge a fee on the shipping. So a seller could sell an item for a few bucks while charging an excessive shipping rate in order to circumvent the fees while still yielding an acceptable total for the item. Now, the eBay fees are based on the Final Value which includes shipping.

So there are different approaches in compensating for the loss. One is for the seller to charge a handling fee on top of the shipping fee such that the cost of shipping/materials will not incur a loss for a seller because eBay still charges the fee on handling and shipping. Two is to not bother with the calculus of handling and charge just the calculated rate with the hope that the minor discount on shipping labels offsets eBay's take and your costs. Three is to offer free shipping so as buyers are unable to leave feedback on shipping details and the idea that buyers might bid more if they don't have to pay shipping.

I'm not sure the third choice can be proven consistently where the seller is not losing money beyond the cost of shipping but in incidental costs associated with shipping. The one benefit is that buyers can't leave feedback on shipping details. Some buyers just hate shipping costs and have an unrealistic idea of what the actual shipping costs are. Shipping is expensive and is never "free". I'm a power seller for nearly 20 years and always charge a calculated shipping cost. I don't pad the weight of an item or charge a handling fee to increase the costs to the buyer. Yet, when you look at my feedback (still 100% positive overall), the specific feedback details indicates that some buyers have left less than 5 stars on the shipping charge. Somehow the buyers think I'm responsible for passing along the same costs that I incur as being excessive.

I'm an Impatient Buyer.

Most Sellers Respond within Minutes of My Buying.
Most sellers Supply a Tracking Number same Day, If I Buy in the Morning.

Used to be Both seller & USPS would be on the ball, & next Morning I would be tracking,and Have my Package within 3 Days.
It spoiled Me.

Now USPS Either Ships the wrong direction then Turns around and Slowly Ships Back with the words it's "Moving within the system"
like they don't have the slightest opinion where it is and a week or so later, say it's out for delivery.

Now I see they are Charging for Full Tracking :(

They also ship Thousands of Packages for Free from China, Etc.
and UPS & FED EX occasionally transfer packages to USPS For Delivery .
or simply supply no info at all. May last Buy Friday, From Illinois Listed 20th. as Estimated Delivery. USPS Says They are still waiting for it, When I Check the Shipping & Changed daTE TO 28TH.

USPS Does NOT deserve a Raise to pass on to the General Public to pay !

But any way, My original Point, :tongue3: When I Get my Package a week Late, I'm sitting here Thinking giving the Seller Bad Feedback,
once it arives I Calm down & Figure Why give bad feedback to thee Seller ? I Wish the Bad feedback would go to USPS !

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm an Impatient Buyer.

Most Sellers Respond within Minutes of My Buying.
Most sellers Supply a Tracking Number same Day, If I Buy in the Morning.

Used to be Both seller & USPS would be on the ball, & next Morning I would be tracking,and Have my Package within 3 Days.
It spoiled Me.

Now USPS Either Ships the wrong direction then Turns around and Slowly Ships Back with the words it's "Moving within the system"
like they don't have the slightest opinion where it is and a week or so later, say it's out for delivery.

Now I see they are Charging for Full Tracking :(

They also ship Thousands of Packages for Free from China, Etc.
and UPS & FED EX occasionally transfer packages to USPS For Delivery .

USPS Does NOT deserve a Raise to pass on to the General Public to pay !

But any way, My original Point, :tongue3: When I Get my Package a week Late, I'm sitting here Thinking giving the Seller Bad Feedback,
once it arives I Calm down & Figure Why give bad feedback to the Seller ? I Wish the Bad feedback would go to USPS !

My coffee Delivery is the Same way.
Used to take 48 Hours From Philly to Central PA.
3 transfers (Factory to Philly, to Lancaster To out for delivery)

Now from Philly to Maryland, Disappears for 3 Days,"Moving within the System) Shows up in Lancaster, Shows up in Lancaster again,leaves Lancaster, Leaves Lancaster again
& 24 hours to 48 Hours later it's out for Delivery :(
(btw Lancaster is about 40 Mile) they must be walking and handing it off to Mailmen Like runners Hand off a Stick during Races.
But in Slow Mo

Last edited:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Jeff, and I don't want to hijack the thread, but USPS needs an overhaul. They don't need a bailout or the ever increasing rates to offset their mismanagement. They contract with private shippers to handle the actual delivery to the box and it is a joke. I order quite frequently from Grunt Style which ships from IL. They ship Fed Ex with drop shipment via the USPS. It can take a week and half to get a t-shirt. I can drive to Illinois and back quicker. A huge volume of USPS is delivery of Amazon parcels. If they need more money, they should be looking to Amazon/FedEx/UPS not taxpayers.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
As an eBay seller I've shipped between 200-500 packages through USPS every year for the last 4 years without a single lost package. I've had 5 packages go to the wrong destination before being rerouted to the correct one. Otherwise I've almost never had a package that didn't get to my buyer on time. The only one that comes to mind was delayed in a snowstorm 2 winters ago. Maybe USPS treats my packages better than they do other sellers.

I've bought several items that came from sellers that used FedEx/Ups economy services where USPS delivers the last mile. Almost every one took too long.....and tracking always showed the package was only in USPS hands the last 24-48 hours. I cringe every time I see that a seller is sending my item through FedEx/UPS economy. If tracking shows a number and says USPS is waiting for the package that generally means the seller printed out the postage & it hasn't been picked up or wasn't dropped off.

pigeonman

Jan 29, 2008
Salem NJ
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
rates keep going up,now there is a dimentional size charge for larger items you ship makes the price double on size sometimes. the usps has been mismanaged for years,they need leadership.

coin pirate

Feb 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shipping cost to you should be clearly shown in the listing. Sorry, but if you're not happy with the shipping, you shouldn't have bought the item. Just my opinion.

THIS!

Don't be a D-bag leaving neg or neutral feedback due to "buyers remorse" you agreed to the price, and you bought it, unless the product is not as described, stop complaining, no offense, it's not walmart.
Too many people buy then want more than the seller offered, saw it cheaper elsewhere, someone told them they were ripped off and allowed someone else opinion to influence them, 100 different people can sell the exact same thing for different prices, some are willing to pay more because closer to them usually results in faster delivery times, another D-bag move is complaining about how long it took to arrive, if the seller shipped in the promised time, then don't blame them for postal delays, and finally, ebay gouges sellers at approx 10% of sale, paypal almost another 3% for receiving the money, fees for special listings services like bold, large pictures etc, and they also take that cut out of the postage collected as well, so if it cost say $20 to ship something and that's all you charged, you lose $2 from ebay off that 20 plus paypals cut, so the seller ends up paying some of the buyers shipping.
What it boils down to, is READ the entire auction, don't picture only buy, ask the seller questions before buying, be a big boy!
Sorry for the rant, I've been selling since 2002, sick of ignorance and lack of taking responsibility for ones own actions, on the flip side, if they misrepresent their product, there's a proper way to handle that as well, whether it was intentional, or an honest mistake if seller is willing to work with you. The more whining and buyers remorse, the more people will over charge everyone to make up for the few who ruin it for sellers.
There are a-hole sellers, don't buy from them!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread