Partial refunds

Holt0222

Sep 24, 2015
Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys I recently sold an item new in packaging, apparently I uploaded the wrong item though so the person assumed the item in picture was the correct item not the title. I accepted the return after they said the item was still in the original packaging but when it arrived you can see they removed the item and re put it back in, per the tamper tape. Prior to getting to the package they had to lift up a shipment checklist that showed exactly what the item was.

How do I issue a partial refund. All the settings I can find don’t allow me to, I can only assume that this was cause it was not as described.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do it through paypal directly. Pull up the item and look for a "refund" button. Be careful to put in the correct amount.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, you must have a written notice from them stating that is ok. Otherwise, you'll lose if they press the issue.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Order details also you can refund a certain amount

OP
OP
H

Holt0222

Sep 24, 2015
Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the kicker, they did not directly state that they would accept a partial return but implied so. If you look at the uploaded picture you can see the paperwork that was sitting on top of the package.

Your previous message:
Please send photos of the item. I can issue a full refund assuming that the item is in the condition that it arrived in. If item is no longer unopened, I can issue a partial refund to account of loss of value due to opening.

Their Response:
The box was already open and sealed with scotch tape. The card itself still in the original bag. I need the one showed the picture or my money back. Please see pictures.
s-l1600.jpg

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ebay won't pay any attention to the open or not opened issue. There are only three choices, they keep it and it's done, you get in a PM they want a partial or full refund and act accordingly. Do not issue a refund proactively.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With ebay there is no such thing as a no return policy if a buyer complains they will usually get there money back is the buyers feedback show they are a good buyer/seller . This is why I dont sell valuable stuff on ebay. If you send a partial refund it might be better than ebay putting a hold on that amount until resolved which sides with the buyer most of the time plus you will have a record of a partial refund I would do the partial refun myself

OP
OP
H

Holt0222

Sep 24, 2015
Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My only concern is if I do a partial refund to start with. If the buyer is not content with that won’t eBay end up doing a full refund at which point they make money off me.

battlecat

Dec 23, 2004
moosic pa
The buyer has already stated they need the item or the money refunded. They need to open a return request and once you receive the item back then you will need to issue the refund

OP
OP
H

Holt0222

Sep 24, 2015
Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And this is one of the reasons I don’t like dealing with eBay. They can’t even communicate correctly. I said I wanted to issue a partial refund. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1587455646.520945.jpg

OP
OP
H

Holt0222

Sep 24, 2015
Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE: so I decided to just say screw it and issue the full refund. But now it won’t let me issue a refund as I get an error message. EBay said to try and issue the refund through PayPal instead and then let them know but the funds from the sale are frozen in PayPal per eBay policy.

OP
OP
H

Holt0222

Sep 24, 2015
Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After 5 messages they opened a case for me and will refund it themself since I couldn’t. I also don’t get any marks against my account.

davefoy

Tenderfoot
Sep 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing I don't understand thru ebay is do they also refund the fees they took from the sale back to the buyer? I have never received a notice from ebay that they did refund their percentage and it appears I refunded the whole amount. Shouldn't they be required to refund their percentage whether it was a full or partial refund of a sale that actually never happened if a refund/adjustment was made?

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
One thing I don't understand thru ebay is do they also refund the fees they took from the sale back to the buyer? I have never received a notice from ebay that they did refund their percentage and it appears I refunded the whole amount. Shouldn't they be required to refund their percentage whether it was a full or partial refund of a sale that actually never happened if a refund/adjustment was made?

eBay will credit the buyer on the fees associated with the sale when a refund is issued. I've never issued a partial refund so I don't know how that is handled.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread