Hello gold around Safford, Az?

ywevis

Feb 24, 2013
Albemarle, NC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am moving to Arizona for a job lol.. I see there are gold mines in the area, and mainly it's copper mines, with finding secondary metals such as gold and silver. But I was wondering about just randomly or going to places that used to have gold. Can I pan in the San Francisco river? Or the Gila river down in there area? What about dredging? Can I go to old surface bench sites and metal detect? Can I dry wash below them? Are their claims or a place to see if someone has a claim?

Sorry from NC, we don't have a claim system here.. We just ask the land owner for permission to go on to their lands, and if it's a navigable river then we go dredging :P

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I will. You can detect just about anywhere. Dredge,not hardly,not very much water. You would have to ask in the dredging section to see who and where they are if they are.
There are literally hundreds of BLM land to detect, and drywash on. There are clubs to join that have claims all over Az with gold.
You can also stake a claim anywhere here they will let you. You can also take a claim from some one who has not paid there fees.
The area I live in are copper mines. With gold and silver and other metals as byproducts. These are lode mines. To the North of Phoenix there are hundreds if not more to find gold.
Where are you going to relocate and I can steer you in the right direction.
All the rivers, creeks are dry around me. Including the Gila. At least the part that runs from Kearny to Phoenix is. Most of the salt is dry when it hits Phoenix.

Az Gold Places Link by county.

Gold by county

So since i read your title a little better I think your going to the safford area.
So here is a place to start.

Near Safford, east 14 miles on U. S. 70 and 7 miles north on a dirt road to Bonita Creek, area upstream from mouth along the Gila River, the Gila River placers which have the richest deposits within the inside bends of the rivers, because these are well formed placers, all stream, bench, and terrace gravels, placers contain flake to wire gold. On north side of the Gila River, between Bonita and Spring creeks, numerous placers such as, the Neel, Smith Boyls, Hammond, Serna, and Colvin. Go to the northeast, in southwest part of the Gila mountains, the Lone Star district, you will find the San Juan and Lone Star mines. In mountains to the north of the Roper, West, Wickersham, Merrill, and other mines, there is gold in quartz veins.

Safford Club

Gila Valley Treasure Hunters Club

Last edited:

azmartin

Aug 19, 2014
South Eastern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
New this site and seen this post. Been some time but maybe ywevis is around. I live in the area and yes there are some good areas to hunt. Give me a shout back and I can send you a few directions or have you follow us up on a trip.

OP
OP
Y

ywevis

Feb 24, 2013
Albemarle, NC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
New this site and seen this post. Been some time but maybe ywevis is around. I live in the area and yes there are some good areas to hunt. Give me a shout back and I can send you a few directions or have you follow us up on a trip.

I was up at the morenci mine job, left out a while ago. Thanks though!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread